Community discussions

MikroTik App

Reaper889
just joined
Topic Author

CRS326-24S - As TOR and VLAN help ?

Fri Sep 22, 2023 1:36 pm

Hi Guys ,

My first post here and hoping for some guidance.

Moving into a new dc soon and we decided on using two CRS326-24S-2Q+ as our new TOR switches.

The design in my mind is quite simple: We have 2 x Fortigate 200E that will serve as our Firewall's with all breakouts and connections terminating on there. ( there are also a bunch of vlans configured on there that are used by hyperv on the vm's so the vlan network that the vm belongs to is selected on there on its Hyperv nic)
We have a Hyper Cluster consisting of 2 x Dell FX2 chassis and their hosts.

There will be two network links to each TOR switch / One from each firewall going to be using port 24 on each switch for these links.

I need these links to then pass all vlan traffic to all ports on the CRS326 , So that we only need to select the vlan it belongs to on the hyperv network card.
We have it running like this currently using the existing cisco's we have as TOR but when we move to the new DC they will stay behind , my experience with Mikrotik is limited so i was hoping for some guidance so i can get this working on the day.

I was thinking SWOS mode would probably be the simplest mode or what would you guys suggest ?

Thank you for the help ahead of time

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: CRS326-24S - As TOR and VLAN help ?

Fri Sep 22, 2023 10:22 pm

Sounds like a fairly simple setup. SwitchOS works very well for switch functions. I use SwitchOS for all of my switches here at the house and am very happy with it.
I have been using SwitchOS for years, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask.
And yes, you will likely get people commenting that RouterOS gives more capability (it does).

Reaper889
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Sep 24, 2023 12:08 pm

@k6ccc , thank you for the feedback much appreciated , yeah look i guess routeros will probably give more capability but with regards to our setup its pretty simple and i feel swos will probably just be the simplest way to go for ease of use.

What my vlan config on swos look like as an example according to the above requirements ?

Fortigate plugs into port24 - and vlan10/20/30/40/50/60 should be available accross all ports and then just be selectable when we add the nic to vm in hyper-v

Also not sure if its possible to stack the two switches , not from what i am reading but would have been nice to have , but wont be a trainsmash if not as splitting across the two should probably work fine in our case as its currently being done. ( but yeah this is a completely different requirement) primary goal is to have as close to current setup and then look at improving down the road.

FX2 Chassis the uplink ports will go into the first 10 or so ports as a start , but should actually be visible on all ports for when we expand the cluster in the new year

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:04 pm

I am going to post three screen captures of one of my CSS326 switches. This will likely answer most of your questions. I'm noticing that this is a really old capture, and I'm not sure why I cut the VLAN and Links tabs off after port 21...
I'm going to point our a few specific ports that have various functions.
Port 3 is a VLAN trunk to another CSS326 in my garage data cabinet. You will see that all of the VLANs are carries on that port. In more recent times, I have changes the VLAN tab for port 3 to Strict and "only tagged" The Default VLAN number "999" is a dummy VLAN that does not exist since there should never be any untagged traffic on this trunk.
Port 21 is a hybrid port. It was at that time connected to a cloud managed WiFi access point that used untagged traffic for management, and each SSID was a different VLAN. VLAN 101 is what is used for the management (internet), and all the VLANs for the various SSIDs are set on the VLANs tab. Not all of those are used BTW...
Port 11 & 13 (router 3) was a backup that was not normally enabled.
Most of the rest of the ports are just plain untagged end devices.

SwitchOS (and for that matter RouterOS) does not really have stacking capability (as in make two switches appear to be one larger switch). I wish it did.

Links tab:

VLAN tab:

VLANs tab: