Community discussions

MikroTik App

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

how do you get 2nd Switch to receive WOL Packets?

Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:13 am

i have a Pfsense router pluged into a CSS326-24G-2S+ switch... and i can wake on lan devices
and then i have a 2nd CSS326-24G-2S+ switch so the 2 CSS326-24G-2S+ are linked but the 2nd one cant seem to get the WOL packets from pfsense
if i use an unmanaged regular network switch in place of the 2nd switch the WOL packets work..

what do you need to configure on the 2nd CSS326-24G-2S+ switch to get it to recieve WOL packets to be able to wake up the computers on the ports?

i also use SFP port 2 on both switchs to link the 2 switchs together... maybe WOL doesnt work on Fibre?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: how do you get 2nd Switch to receive WOL Packets?

Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:04 am

Without a diagram, I'm left to guess, but this sounds like a wye configuration, with the pfSense router in the middle. If that's the case, then there's your problem. WoL packets are Ethernet broadcasts, something any router worthy of carrying the label will block by default.

Either:

• Connect the switches daisy-chain fashion so they form a single broadcast domain; or
  • Configure the router to pass broadcasts between those two ports.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:26 am

Except OP has two Mikrtotik switches, the PFSense is sending... PFSense --> CSS326 --> CSS326 --> UE.

I don't know the CSS line — so not much help — but seem like a config setting on the 2nd CSS326 somehow block as a "dumb" switch before the UE works through PFSense --> CSS326 --> dumbSwitch --> UE...
[...] i have a 2nd CSS326-24G-2S+ switch so the 2 CSS326-24G-2S+ are linked but the 2nd one cant seem to get the WOL packets from pfsense
if i use an unmanaged regular network switch in place of the 2nd switch the WOL packets work..

Now the SFP have been "problematic" of late & changes/fixes/etc...
[...] i also use SFP port 2 on both switchs to link the 2 switchs together... maybe WOL doesnt work on Fibre?
Have you tried a copper port to see if that works? Both switches running same version? I guess "stable" be best... but "testing" might not be a bad call as there were SFP fixes in there...

But WoL should work over fiber, although never tried. There still ethernet packets.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:31 am

Agh; didn't read carefully enough. You're right, Amm0.

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:37 pm

so i find copper doesnt work.. i have tried toggling switchs adding Vlan 1 checking off all check boxes

so what has worked for me is

pfsense ---> port 1 on mikrok switch ----> copper to a unmanaged regular switch (any port works fine)
pfsense ---->port 1 on mikrok switch ---> tplink Omada Wifi AP Mesh to Tplink Omada Wifi AP pluged into the other Mikrok switch

what doesnt work
pfsense ---> port 1 on mikrok switch ----> copper to mikrok switch
pfsense ---> port 1 on mikrok switch sfp2-or sfp1---> fibre to mikrok switch sfp2 or sfp1
i also tried sfp1 on mik switch 1 and sfp2 on switch 2 figured you need to cross them and then vise versa that didnt work either

i dont want to go the mesh route as i want to use the 10g and cant guarantee copying files wont hop on the AP instead of Fibre...

also both switchs are running the latest.. 2.13v

that check box that says Flood Unknown Multicast under forwarding i figured that means allow all packets to be forwarded... so it should get all the packets.. it seems to be blocking

yet any dummy switch works fine

oh and i did test instead of ofa dummy switch just an old ASUS router in place of the 2nd switch to... and that allows WOL to work

is there a way to track if its working?
Last edited by comet424 on Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:49 pm

check box that says Flood Unknown Multicast

WoL is broadcast, not multicast. If you have your switches in a chain as you claim, not wyed off the pfSense box as I mis-guessed above, then you want to check the bridge port → Broadcast Flood box on the port between the two switches.

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2023 3:59 pm

i dont seem to have a bridge port → Broadcast Flood box or a bridge port

the only Flood Port i have is
under Forwarding and its Flood Unknown Multicast

how do i enable bridge port? i probably have to enable something?

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:06 pm

and if you mean a chain the way i have it wired is

pfseense to Mikswitch 1 (1 foot away) ----> 328feet ----> Mikswitch switch 2

shop to my house
https://ibb.co/RpYDL4g

house to my shop
https://ibb.co/f9nZ5pq

here is my forwarding page this is copper port 1 i used in my house to reach my shop i tested with.. thats why its labled that way
https://ibb.co/MZdFxgs

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2023 4:33 pm

the only thing i found about bridge was on the RTSP page here is couple pics
https://ibb.co/ChBH1D8
https://ibb.co/2MgCXqN

not sure if that means anything

so i did remove the VLAN 1 i added to see if that would help things.. and that removed the root from the RSTP page and changed it to desginated.. but so far still no bridge mode or broadcast that i can find

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:32 pm

Sorry, I'm used to thinking in terms of RouterOS, where the path is:

bridge-bcast.jpg

I see in the CSS326's SwOS manual that there is no equivalent setting. Since blocking all broadcasts makes no sense as a default, one presumes that it floods by default instead.

The only "maybe" I have left for you is that "broadcast storm rate = 100%" setting. Does that mean "allow all broadcasts" or "block all broadcasts"? It isn't at all clear which from the manual. Try it both ways.

Other than that, as far as I can tell from this thin manual is that the only way to not flood all broadcast between all ports is to set up a VLAN boundary or port isolation. You haven't done either of those things, have you?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 28, 2023 5:53 pm

Sorry, I'm used to thinking in terms of RouterOS, where the path is:
There just aren't options in SwOS to do much...

Only think I can think of to try is add the PFSense's MAC address as "Static Host" (ARP entry). Or disabling [M/R]STP to see if that fixes. Although either shouldn't be necessary in theory. Maybe a support ticket to Mikrotik... it is the link between the CSS switches that is at issue.

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:58 pm

i take it routerOS is better then SwitchOS then? so i should switch over to RouterOS to get the WOL to work?
i did try Static Arp IP/MAC address in Pfsense for my one server i trying to WOL doesnt work
its weird how it will work if the 2 switchs connect to each other with TPLink Omada Access Points in a Mesh the WOL works that way just not direct cable ..

i did email the support@mik.. i tried to do the support page.. but that page is broken it says you need to login to access support i use my credientials and tells me i didnt type them in right yet i can post in the forms.. so thats messed lol...

i figure maybe the switch is getting the WOL packets and just dropping them?

tangent
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Sep 28, 2023 8:22 pm

i take it routerOS is better then SwitchOS then?

The only advantages of SwOS over RouterOS are a simpler web UI and cheaper single-boot products. (There exist dual-boot RouterOS + SwOS switches in the CRS line.) In terms of raw functionality, though, there's nothing SwOS can do that RouterOS cannot. If you find yourself believing otherwise, it will be due to the feature going under a different name, not because it's missing.

The main problem with that plan is that the CSS line is SwOS-only. You'd have to upgrade to its bigger brother to get RouterOS, which costs $50 more per switch for the rack-mount version. For that, you get a RouterOS license and the more powerful CPU needed to run it.

i should switch over to RouterOS to get the WOL to work?

It's not clear at this point whether the problem is due to SwOS being incapable of doing what you want or that you have a local configuration problem which you could eventually overcome. That said, at least with RouterOS you have better debugging tools to chase the problem further.

it says you need to login to access support i use my credientials and tells me i didnt type them in right yet i can post in the forms..

The forum and support sites use separate login schemes. And for extra fun, there's the sales site which uses yet a third login scheme.

maybe the switch is getting the WOL packets and just dropping them?

It's possible to debug that without upgrading to RouterOS. Use the port-mirroring features to copy traffic from one port to another, then set up Wireshark on a PC to examine what goes past. With a small number of probes, you can trace the packets' complete path through the switches. It should be interesting to learn the point at which the packets disappear.

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:58 pm

ah ok.. i bought these switchs as these were what i could afford to get least 10gb at a reasonable price. off amazon.. everything else just jumps so far out of my range.. and i like these were rackmount too...

geesh 3 accounts for logins and nothing simple as 1 login eh lol

and i looked i couldnt find a mirror port to another port..

there is a fordwarding page and there is a radio button for Mirror To for each port... but there is nothing to Mirror to.. which is kinda dumb like how can your mirror that port to something if you cant specific a port to specify.. although i not expert with this brand of switchs.. and i my expertise in networking really ended 20 yrs ago and i just tabbled over the years now

so i not sure how to mirror that port say SFP2 if you happy to have same switch or know etc

k6ccc
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Sep 30, 2023 8:06 pm

I am doing exactly what the original poster is trying to do - except in my case my R4011 is generating the WoL packets. From there via untagged LAN to CSS326 then tagged VLAN trunk (VLAN 201) to another CSS326 and then untagged LAN to the family room PC. Works perfect every time. Does not matter if the trunk between the switches is copper or fiber. BTW, I can trigger the WoL by way of a schedule, manually from WinBox, or via a port knock sequence (the most common way I do it).

I see that the OP was talking about VLAN 1 earlier. My standard recommendation is to NOT use VLAN 1 for ANYTHING unless there is an absolute need to do so. To many devices that treat VLAN 1 as something "special".

comet424
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Oct 11, 2023 3:45 am

soo i havent heard back from the support team people

i did download Wireshark... i also having issues now i no longer can WOL on the single Siwtch

so i first i ran Packet Capture on Pfsense and set to port 40000 and WOL is working there...

then i tried to figure out the documenttion but on Forwarding i set my Pfsense box Mirorr Egress and set the Mirror To Port to Radio button to a port my laptop is on
and then i installed Wireshark on there.. now i capture on there but that crap is going so fast and i cant even filter it right so i dunno

as for the VLAN 1 i only tried as last result to as a vlan cuz it wasnt working the wol....

i did read from a 2014 post of these switchs someone had issue and had to factory reset the switch to get it to work properly but i havent done that yet