Community discussions

MikroTik App

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Request for modern PoE switching

Thu Nov 02, 2023 12:00 am

I use MikroTik switches for my clients to power networks that run VoIP phones, AP, and IP cameras. PoE switching is a need. The MikroTik CRS328-24P-4S+RM is a good switch. But there is a need for 16 & 8 port short depth variants with built-in power supplies. The CSS610-8P-2S+IN is not a proper offering. With the preexistence of the CRS112-8P-4S-IN, one would have expected more given the time that has passed.

The problem I'm having however, is that another vendor has entered the game and is targeting the very niche I operate in. Take a look at the GWN7803P, GWN7802P, and GWN7801P for layer 2 and the GWN7813P, GWN7812P, GWN7811P for Layer 3 performance. Product SKUs that MikroTik fans have been asking for. These switches have Layer 2 security features with an easy to use and modern graphical interfaces included.

It kinda makes you think that the grass is getting greener in some places. So, what do you say? I know you can make a great product. Proof that the market is speaking. Let's see a MikroTik offering.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Request for modern PoE switching

Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:30 am

I totally agree with you.

+1 for this and +1 for poe unmanaged version if possible for IP cameras.

mada3k
Long time Member
Long time Member

Fri Nov 03, 2023 5:16 pm

Thats one issue with Mikrotik. They just don't have "basic everyday models", they build unicorns.

However, "easy to use and modern graphical interfaces" is not something thats preferable.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:18 am

I would like to use CRS328-24P-4S+RM to power IP cameras but in reality I go with TP-Link or Hikvision switches because I can't justify the price difference.

darthgizm0
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Dec 03, 2023 7:09 am

What's wrong with the CSS610-8P model? What does it lack for your use cases?

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:46 am

When you have 80+ cameras 8 port switch is not the best solution. At home i use css610, 3 of them, one for each room.

Also for IP camera you really don't need managed switch...

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2023 7:36 am

On the switch front, MikroTik is about to get eaten by the switch models I listed. It is extremely important to have VLAN on PoE switches even when feeding IP Cams. I shouldn't need to explain this. 8 Port models supply access to small cabin structures running IP cams, door locks, wifi access points, this and that. VLAN is needed, and fiber ports too. You may have a different use case, and that's fine. Not sure MikroTik wants to make switches anymore.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Dec 06, 2023 6:51 pm

I understand but a lot of times I have NVR that have two ports, one is port facing network and one is facing towards IP cameras and that NVR have DHCP server integrated so i just need PoE switch to power IP cameras.

Some times you have NVRs with integrated PoE switch it all depends what customer wants and needs.

If course if you have multiple buildings with access control and IP cameras i will use managed switch and those two systems will not be on same VLAN.

But for eg. I have server PC, 20 cameras, client don't need to access cameras over internet. I have rack in security room where all 20 cameras terminate. Server PC is in same rack, client PC is in the same room. IP addresses are static. I really don't see the reason for managed switch in that case.

I hope mikrotik don't stop with switch production but i understand why they wont produce unmanaged switches.

pcunite
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Wed Dec 06, 2023 9:19 pm

I have server PC, 20 cameras, client don't need to access cameras over internet. I have rack in security room where all 20 cameras terminate. Server PC is in same rack, client PC is in the same room. IP addresses are static. I really don't see the reason for managed switch in that case.

Okay, gotcha.