Community discussions

MikroTik App

whatever
Topic Author

Understanding "mixed" 802.11r FT

Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:17 pm

Hi there,

I am kind of confused by the recent Youtube video where Mikrotik advertises their FT implementation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkWPlsuyuKE

Apart from the incredible slow roaming times displayed there, at the end of the video it is suggested to enable FT even in what I call "mixed" environments -- where multiple APs without centralized management provide the same SSID -- to accelerate roaming between 2.4GHz and 5GHz interfaces of the same AP. This contradicts my own experience with FT on Mikrotik, where enabling it on isolated APs made roaming with my Android phone between APs actually worse than it was with FT disabled everywhere.

So, I am wondering if somebody actually knows how FT is supposed to behave in this scenario? Does the client event attempt to use FT when roaming to another AP?

My theory is that in such a mixed scenario, the client might attempt to perform FT and has to wait for it to fail before attempting re-authentication with PSK for "legacy" roaming. But if this was the case, it would be an obvious handicap to seamless roaming, so why does Mikrotik recommend using it anyway? Is anybody here able to shed some light on this? Thanks.

Kindis

Re: Understanding "mixed" 802.11r FT

Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:41 am

I have a Pixel 7 Pro and it work with roming well.
Roaming between different ap's (cap ax) that are capsman controlled means I now can have a Teams call and walk in the building without having the call cut and reconnected once phone switched ap. Works great on my iPhone as well.
For AC interfaces this works as well, at least for me. A hap ac3 I have at once place (only this device there) will connect on the 2,4 GHz first and when you are in good range for 5 Ghz it will roam to 5 Ghz. Work on several phones there is can see from logs.
So my experience is more or less what MT say in the video.