MikroTik App

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

capsman,ax and frequency selection

Sun Dec 17, 2023 4:43 pm

Hi all!

I am not able to establish a useable auto frequency selection with capsman. After bulk-provision the access points all sitting on the same frequency because they do not see the radio of the own neighbors (for example DFS). The result is very unstable Wifi in HD areas.

From my thinking the should store the last frequency and starting with this one or do a sequential bulk provision of the the caps.

Anyone has an solution for this issue (script)?

bye
Tom

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: capsman,ax and frequency selection

Sun Dec 17, 2023 6:13 pm

I ALWAYS set frequencies manually when using capsman (even standalone APs) so I KNOW which frequencies are being used after I have done a scan of the environment.

Exactly to avoid this situation.

complete2006
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:03 am

In a urban environment with a high-ap system "static frequency" is not the way this will work for longer time. There are to many external ap changing their frequency.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:20 am

Yes, I am aware of that. I'm lucky to be in a relatively stable environment with most of my installations.

If you reboot (or provision) caps devices one by one (leave some minutes in between), do they still end up using the same frequency ?
When all being booted at the same time, it is perfectly possible they end up selecting the same "ideal" frequency which once the radios come up, is not that ideal anymore.
This was already a problem way back in time.

Only solution I could find back, is staggering the boot (or provisioning) of caps devices.
= don't let them all loose at the same time.

Another option in the past was using channel.reselect-interval, it's a parameter from old capsman but I couldn't really find back the wave2-alternative.

You can also use frequency ranges and assign those via provisioning in order to minimize neighbour APs to disturb each other.

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:46 pm

channel.reselect-interval is back in wifi menu. See https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... properties