Community discussions

MikroTik App

eki
just joined
Topic Author

hAP lite - not enough space for update

Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:49 pm

I'm trying to update an hAP lite router.
It is currently running 7.10.2
It is located on a remote place, and the physical access is very hard.
I have another one that is local, and that one updated just fine.
Their purpose is to bridge few vlans over the vpn connection.
The one that worked shows 8.4 mb of 16 mb used.
The other one 8.5 mb of 16 mb used.
On the one with not enough space, I have erased all files, backups, etc. I have cleared cache and turned of DNS service.

The 7.12.2 update is 7736 KB in size.
The 7.13 update is 7141 Kb, but the instructions say that 7.12.2 has to be applied first.

Any suggestion on how to clear another 100k of disk space somehow?
Is it possible to apply 7.13 without loosing configuration remotely?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP lite - not enough space for update

Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:20 pm

As already written millions of times on this site, if you had used the "search" function you would have already found the solution.

eki
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:31 pm

As already written millions of times on this site, if you had used the "search" function you would have already found the solution.
Not very helpful.
I did search and did not find anything that I had not tried already.

If you actually know for the specific item that can reduce disk utilization, you could at least say " use >>search<< function with the term XXXXX".

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:48 pm

Try search "Netinstall". Is it possible to apply 7.13 without loosing configuration remotely? - no with netinstall, you can try by executing config script after netinstall, but if you missconfigure something you cannot reach device no longer remotely.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:56 pm

hAP lite is extreme low-end device with only 32MB RAM (which excludes it from having userland root storage on RAM disk) and with only 16MB flash which (as you found out) is very tiny for running ROS v7.

My first recomendation is to go back to v6 (6.49.10). Its footprint is quite a bit smaller than of v7, in certain circumstances v6 is even faster than v7. If you don't require some v7-only features, then (currently) you're not missing anything (there's no known major vulnerability in v6).

If you insist on using v7 on hAP lite, then the only way forward is netinstall. And quite possibly that's how every upgrade from this version forward will look like. Not very handy if device is remote.

optio
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Dec 19, 2023 7:59 pm

And someone needs to perform netinstall on site or it can be done by remotely controlling computer connected to device over other internet connection on site if is provided by afected device. If you have such possibility for remote control then you can configure router as you can when is physically present.

Leolo
just joined

Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:15 am

If anyone is interested, I've successfully upgraded a hap lite remotely from 7.10.1 to 7.13.3 directly.

You just have to grab this file:
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... -smips.npk

And upload it to the root folder of hap lite (in winbox, click on "Files" and click on the "Upload" button)

Restart the Mikrotik and it will upgrade the firmware and keep your config.

The only thing you'll lose is the wireless package (I don't use wifi in this Mikrotik, so I don't care)

However, I think you can still install the wireless package afterwards if you download this file:
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 7.13.3.zip

Unzip it and upload "wireless-7.13.3-smips.npk" to the root folder of hap lite. Restart the Mikrotik and it's highly likely that it will restore wifi functionality.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 01, 2024 8:59 am

If anyone is interested, I've successfully upgraded a hap lite remotely from 7.10.1 to 7.13.3 directly.

For the record: the only reason for the "recommended" / "required" upgrade path <early v7> -> 7.12 -> <7.13 or later> is when one uses ROS mechanism of upgrading packages (/system/package/update/install). And the actual reason is two fold (one of them applies at upgrade time):
  1. split of wireless package from base package. Upgrader in ROS traditionally tries to upgrade installed packages, upgrader in 7.12 knows that it needs to install additional optional package wireless (if optional wifiwave2 was not installed prior to upgrade). Without his "additional knowledge", upgraded device would suddenly be left without wireless interfaces (which happens often when people upgrade device by hand and don't pay attention to details).
  2. renaming and split of wifiwave2 package - renamed to wifi and split into wifi-qcom and wifi-qcom-ac. Upgrader in 7.12 knows to select the correct wifi-qcom package if wifiwave2 was installed previously, it selects correct variety according to hardware type

If user does manual installation (either by uploading package files and rebooting or via netinstall), all this consideration doesn't apply. So yes, you can jump directly from 7.1 to 7.14beta if you want and handle the wireless/wifi package mess manually. You can even jump directly from v6 to latest v7 directly (risking that config won't get converted correctly but this was always true when going from v6 to v7).

But the point of this thread is not whether one can install v7.13 this way or another, the point is that devices with 16MB flash can be tight (depends on architecture as well) and that devices with small amount of RAM are likely to run into stability problems (MT might squash some bugs with this regard so things may improve). So running v7 on hAP lite is possible, but some issues are to be expected.

netflow
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:30 pm

Same issue, was able to go up to 7.12.1 but attempting to install 7.13.3 gives "ERROR: not enough disk space, 7.6MiB is required and only 7.5MiB is free".

Hopefully they will split further in future versions and make optional some stuff like for eg ipv6 or PPP.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 02, 2024 3:46 pm

They've been reducing the size of the wireless package in 7.14beta. Personally, I'd stick at 7.12 & wait for 7.14 to come out. But I suspect 7.14beta9 would update/fit.