Community discussions

MikroTik App

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Configuring hAP ax2 with CapsMan

Thu Dec 28, 2023 12:43 am

My Capsman controller is on my main router (RB4011), successfully controlling multiple APs using CapsMan. I just installed an hAP ax2, and upgraded ROS to v 7.13. Now all devices are running v 7.13. I've installed the WiFi QCom package on the ax2, and the wireless package on the 4011. I have a few basic questions:

1) Is a separate CapsMan instance on my 4011 required to provision the ax2?
2) If so, where do I set this up on the 4011?
3) Older ROS versions mention a WiFi Wave 2 tab. This is missing in ROV v 7.13 What has taken its place?

Help appreciated on this!

Regards,
Dave

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configuring hAP ax2 with CapsMan

Thu Dec 28, 2023 1:31 pm

Capsman for new wifi CAPs is in 7.13 under /interface/wifi ... yes, you need to confugure two capsmans if you're running network with both legacy and new CAPs, so you have to run 7.13 on your RB4011 and have wireless package installed (it's separate package in 7.13).
Also 7.13 replaces wifiwave2 with wifi so configuration subtree is moved ftom /interface/wifiwave2 to /interface/wifi . The structure under it remained the same though.

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:34 pm

Thank you. I've located and am beginning to understand this new layout. This NEW CapsMan is both similar AND different from the old one. I've spent a few hours figuring things out, and the Mikrotik YouTube channel has been a help. I will be running both the old CapsMan and the new one (people are calling it CapsMan2, but it's really CapsMan3!) on the 4011. I have successfully provisioned the ax2 with 5GHz and 2.4 GHz networks.

However, I have 2 VLANs that I need to provision on the ax2. On the old CapsMan, I did this with a master configuration, and 2 slave interfaces, and this worked well. I'm still struggling with this on the new CapsMan. I set up the Master / slave configurations on the provisioning tab, but when I provision the ax2, my previously provisioned/working interfaces on the ax2 disappear and are replaced with nothing. I just see the 'managed by capsman' in red, and nothing else. I'm missing something important, but I don't know what it is. My slave interfaces are configured on the Provisioning tab, but I think they need to be set up elsewhere.

Once again, any help is appreciated.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:39 pm

For AX2, you need to specify the vlans in the datapath part.
Nothing to be done really on AX2 itself (unless you also changed the base vlan, then there is something to be modified config-wise).

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:16 am

Thank you. I've gotten one master/slave(guest) provisioning to work. I specified the VLAN ID in the datapath section for the guest network, and Create Enabled worked. I connect with the Guest virtual access point, and get an IP address from the correct pool. Two interesting things I noted:

1) When provisioning the ax, "create dynamic enabled" did not work. In this case I could connect to the guest wifi network, but could never establish a connection to the router. Create enabled worked perfectly. A second time, these were reversed - Create dynamic enabled worked, create enabled did not. I've been messing with this so frequently, I'm not sure if this is important or not.

2) I can provision either the 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz as main/guest networks and they work as expected. However, I cannot provision them at the same time from 'provision' on the Remote CAP tab. I can provision them individually on the radios tab.

Thank you for your help. This is a steep learning curve!

davidreaton
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Dec 29, 2023 1:32 am

By the way, Under the provisioning tab, I had to put the 2 specific radio MAC addresses in to get this to work. just using the default 00:00:00:00:00:00 did not work to provision the radios.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Dec 29, 2023 8:14 am

On my setup (RB5009 as capsman controller) I only use create enabled. I don't like that at reboot for whatever reason (mostly my own doing) those interface numbers are incrementing.

As for provisioning, never really noticed since I ALWAYS assign configurations based on radio MAC. I am pretty picky about which caps gets which config and otherwise I can't be sure what's going to be configured where.
Just tested, that MAC address is supposed to be empty if you want the provisioning to be generic. Empty is not the same as 00:00:00:00:00:00:00:00.
And you still can have a generic rule for 5GHzAX and 2GHzAX separately using the band as distinguisher.