Community discussions

MikroTik App

bkida
just joined
Topic Author

WiFi CapsMan paired with Wireless CapsMan?

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:14 pm

Hi
A few days ago I found out about the new version of RouterOS 7.13, which has improved WIFI drivers for devices such as CAP AC.

I have 2x CAP AC and Groove A-52Hpn in one location. For these CAP ACs, I uploaded new drivers and configured the CAP based on the documentation from https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/WiFi

Now how do we add Groove to the whole thing? As I understand it, these new drivers cannot be downloaded to this device - the chipset I see is Atheros AR93.

I don't understand how it works now - there are two SEPARATE capsman managers?
1. WiFi -> Remote CAP -> CAPsMAN
2. Wireless -> CAPsMAN

Do they work together?

I think that many people may have a similar situation as me - in a mix of Mikrotik devices. Previously, any WIFI device with a Level 4 license could be connected to one consistent capsman manager, which was cool.

In the attachment I am adding what the current "Remote CAP" tabs look like in WiFi -> Remote CAP and Wireless -> CAPsMAN -> Remote CAP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: WiFi CapsMan paired with Wireless CapsMan?

Mon Jan 01, 2024 1:58 pm

... there are two SEPARATE capsman managers?
Yes.

Do they work together?
No.

Previously, any WIFI device with a Level 4 license could be connected to one consistent capsman manager, which was cool.
Not really, new wireless devices (ax generation) required running wifiwave2 driver and those could not be managed using legacy capsman, it required running wifiwave2 capsman. What is new since 7.13 is possibility to run both capsmans on same device, previously one had to use two separate capsman devices. New since 7.13 is also support for all arm ac devices by new wifi driver, previously only a few select devices were supported by wifiwave2 driver (arm devices with at least 64MB flash and 256MB RAM).

But yes, I think we all agree it would be nice to have a common configuration and management interface for both capsman entities.