Community discussions

MikroTik App

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Periodic "Access point temporarily full" disconnects on older Android with ROS 7.13

Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:43 pm

I've recently switched from ROS 6.49.10 to ROS 7.13 on my home network. Since then, an older device of mine, a Mi Mix 3 running LineageOS 20 (Android 13), has been randomly disconnecting from the network with a message "Access point temporarily full".

Here's an edited export of my /interface/wifi config section:
/interface wifi channel
add disabled=no frequency=2412 name=channel1 width=20mhz
add disabled=no frequency=2437 name=channel6 width=20mhz
add disabled=no frequency=2462 name=channel11 width=20mhz
add disabled=no frequency=5180 name=channel36 width=20/40/80mhz
add disabled=no frequency=5260 name=channel52-dfs width=20/40/80mhz
add disabled=no frequency=5660 name=channel132-dfs width=20/40/80mhz
add disabled=no frequency=5745 name=channel149-opt width=20/40/80mhz
/interface wifi security
add authentication-types=wpa2-psk disable-pmkid=yes disabled=no ft=yes ft-over-ds=yes group-encryption=ccmp group-key-update=40m management-protection=allowed name=default wps=disable
/interface wifi configuration
add disabled=no name=cfg-2ghz security=default security.ft=yes .ft-over-ds=yes ssid=XXX
add disabled=no name=cfg-5ghz security=default security.ft=yes .ft-over-ds=yes ssid="XXX (5G)"
add disabled=no name=cfg-5ghz-YY security=default ssid="YYY (5G)"
/interface wifi
add channel=channel6 configuration=cfg-2ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=13 disabled=no name=2GHz-Room2Router-1 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X1
add channel=channel11 configuration=cfg-2ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=10 disabled=no name=2GHz-Room3Router-1 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X2
add channel=channel132-dfs configuration=cfg-5ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=13 disabled=no name=5GHz-Room2Router-1 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X3
add channel=channel52-dfs configuration=cfg-5ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=13 disabled=no name=5GHz-Room3Router-1 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X4
add channel=channel149-opt configuration=cfg-5ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=13 disabled=no name=5GHz-Room3Router-2 radio-mac=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X5
/interface wifi datapath
add bridge=bridge disabled=no name=capdp
/interface wifi
set [ find default-name=wifi1 ] channel=channel1 configuration=cfg-2ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=10 datapath=capdp disabled=no name=2GHz-Firewall-1
set [ find default-name=wifi2 ] channel=channel36 configuration=cfg-5ghz configuration.mode=ap .tx-power=13 datapath=capdp disabled=no name=5GHz-Firewall-1
add configuration=cfg-5ghz-YY configuration.mode=ap datapath=capdp disabled=no mac-address=XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:X6 master-interface=5GHz-Firewall-1 name=5GHz-Firewall-1-1
/interface wifi capsman
set ca-certificate=auto enabled=yes interfaces=bridge require-peer-certificate=no upgrade-policy=none
/interface wifi provisioning
add action=create-enabled disabled=no master-configuration=cfg-5ghz name-format=5GHz-%I supported-bands=5ghz-n
add action=create-enabled disabled=no master-configuration=cfg-2ghz name-format=2GHz-%I supported-bands=2ghz-n
add action=none disabled=no

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Periodic "Access point temporarily full" disconnects on older Android with ROS 7.13

Thu Jan 11, 2024 8:45 pm

When I was setting everything up, I decided to set management-protection to 'allowed'. The Internet now advises to switch off 802.11w management frame protection to solve this issue. I have done so, and management-protection is now explicitly set to 'disabled'.

I will observe the behavior of my devices and report on my findings within two to three days.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Periodic "Access point temporarily full" disconnects on older Android with ROS 7.13

Thu Jan 11, 2024 9:16 pm

WPA3 requires management-protection=required while WPA2 doesn't care (and default is "allowed"). If you set this property explicitly, then same value applies to any authentication type. If you unset the property altogether (that's unset management-protection in CLI or click up-arrow to hide value in GUI), then AP is allowed to select best value according to authentication type used by individual stations (i.e. required for WPA3 and on or off for WPA2 according to station preferences).

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sat Jan 13, 2024 5:40 pm

Well, it seems like explicitly setting management-protection to 'disabled' did the trick. No random disconnects in two days.

WPA3 requires management-protection=required while WPA2 doesn't care (and default is "allowed"). If you set this property explicitly, then same value applies to any authentication type. If you unset the property altogether (that's unset management-protection in CLI or click up-arrow to hide value in GUI), then AP is allowed to select best value according to authentication type used by individual stations (i.e. required for WPA3 and on or off for WPA2 according to station preferences).

That's the thing, I am using WPA2, and only WPA2, for compatibility's sake, since I've heard there are some devices that, although they support WPA3, get confused by there being both WPA3 and WPA2. So theoretically, me explicitly setting it to 'allowed' shouldn't have done anything, if that's the default for WPA2. But I don't really understand what you mean by 'station preference'...

In any case, I've now unset management-protection to see if the problems reappear. Will report in two to three days.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Jan 13, 2024 10:49 pm

But I don't really understand what you mean by 'station preference'...
If I understand this right (but I may be wrong), then in WPA2 management frames protection is optional and is only used if both AP and station support it (which is thus enabled per station and not globally on AP). Since station has a say in this, I call it "station preference".

As it's frequently true with many optional things, some devices burp on things they don't expect ... and AP saying it supports management frame protection by setting certain bit in capabilities list whereas station expects that bit unset is something that can upset such a device.

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:36 pm

As it's frequently true with many optional things, some devices burp on things they don't expect ...
This seems to be pretty much the only explanation that makes sense. I unset management-protection, and it still works fine, so it seems like maybe the management-protection being unset is somehow different from being 'allowed' for WPA2.

Although I did an oopsie and upgraded to 7.13.1, I don't remember when exactly, forgetting about this little experiment. So results might be affected by this.

Nullcaller
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Periodic "Access point temporarily full" disconnects on older Android with ROS 7.13  [SOLVED]

Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:38 pm

Long story short, if anyone else is affected by this, unset 'management-protection' in wifi security (or set it to 'disabled' if you plan on never using WPA3).