Community discussions

MikroTik App

tuuliasuncle
just joined
Topic Author

Capsman upgrade strategy

Mon Jan 15, 2024 6:27 pm

Hi,

Can someone help me get the right order of upgrading to 7.13 ?
I route using an openwrt device, so my question only pertains to capsman/AP's.

I'm still on 6.49.10 with these 4 devices : cAP AC (also capsman) / hAP ac2 / wAP ac 2nd gen / wAP ac 1st gen.
Capsman only does config : all SSID's live one their respective vlans and the AP's forward to the gateway themselves.

On my Proxmox host I already setup the free version of CHR (7.13) in Bridge mode with the sole purpose of running Capsman. As capsman is not involved in forwarding I'll be fine with 1Mb throughput.

But what is my next step ?

Setting up capsman on the CHR_7.13 with the 4 AP's still on 6.49 , demote cAP AC from capsman duty while it is still on 6.49, and then upgrade the AP's one by one to 7.13 with the ac driver package and assign them to CHR ?

Or should I first upgrade all AP's to 7.13 including the capsman host, and only then migrate capsman away to CHR_7.13 ?
I use capsman's Radius client, and want to minimize downtime during migration.

Finally .. will the wAP ac 1gen ( = mips ) listen to capsman on CHR7.13 ?

Or should I not even bother destroying my current perfectly working setup and spend that time instead on like implementing suricata ?

thanks

whatever

Re: Capsman upgrade strategy

Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:10 pm

Do you just want to update, or do you want to migrate to wifi(wave2) as well?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Jan 15, 2024 8:37 pm

If you want to keep using that wAP ac 1st gen, you may have to make a double capsman setup (since 7.13 that's possible on the same device).

I would first setup CHR as capsman (both default Routeros which is wave2 and add wireless package which is for legacy HW devices IF you want to include that one under capsman. Otherwise leave out wireless).

And then, as @whatever already hinted, decide if and which device you want to upgrade to wave2 drivers. It does make a difference and all your arm-based devices are capable (especially when only using them as access points).
The outlier, wAP ac 1st gen, can still be handled via legacy capsman on that same CHR. Not seamless roaming like the others but it will/can be managed as well by CHR.
But since there will only be one device, you can also use it as a standalone AP using the same SSID settings as the others. That's also an option.

For the upgrade path itself, first move to 7.12.1, only then you can move to 7.13.x.

tuuliasuncle
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Jan 17, 2024 2:01 pm

Thanks for the info, I'll do as advised.

@whatever : the objective is to make full use of my ac hardware, so yes, wifiwave2 .