Community discussions

MikroTik App

nsmith1979
just joined
Topic Author

Chateau 5G ax 4G internal antenna

Thu Jan 25, 2024 1:28 pm

Hi all,

I've recently purchased the Chateau 5G ax for use at home for my broadband, using Vodafone 5G.

I have an external Poynting antenna connected to the 2x SMA ports on the back of the router and I'm getting a good signal (RSRP: -84dBm / SINR: 23dB / RSRQ: 11dB) but I'm struggling to get a decent 4G signal. The best 4G signal I can get is from a mast about 350m away on band 20 but it doesn't have ENDC so I don't get a 5G connection (although it used to work on my old Zyxel NR5101 router?).
My other best option is a mast about 850m away (which is the also the 5G mast in my area) connecting to band 1 as primary. The band 1 signal provides: RSSI: -70dBm / RSRP: -111dBm / SINR: -2dB / RSRQ: -15dB, so not great.

I don't have an option to move the antenna, it's been fixed to a pole to the side of the house and the cabling fed through the wall, so was thinking of trying to add to SMA ports to the two spare openings on the back of the router, connecting them to A0 & A1 and using the 'bunny ear' antennas (the black ones that come with the router) to try and improve the 4G signal.

I wanted to get opinions on whether this could work or if it would be a waste of time..