Community discussions

MikroTik App

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

How do you specify the location in ROS 7?

Fri Feb 02, 2024 12:48 pm

Don't seem to be able to find this drop down?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: How do you specify the location in ROS 7?

Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:21 pm

It appears not to be included in the new wifi package, see viewtopic.php?p=1052150

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Re: How do you specify the location in ROS 7?  [SOLVED]

Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:30 pm

Ahh right, thought it might be that. This comment might explain it:
Maybe , but as the wifi(wave2) driver has no more parameter for "Installation"/"outdoor/indoor/any" ... that setting is built in in the device
So non-weatherproof devices are assumed to be indoor?

tdw
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:08 pm

It appears that way, although it is a limiting factor if you want to use an indoor device in a weatherproof enclosure outdoors, or the L11UG-5HaxD which could be used in either situation.

brambo123
just joined

Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:03 am

I tested it with a wAP ac LTE, which is suitable for outdoors.
The 5GHz channels that are not allowed to be used outdoors work normally.
The router therefore does not adhere to country regulations.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:04 pm

Ahh... that's not good is it. Certainly has the small potential for getting you into hot water? Once again, a quick reply from a developer here would help the speculation. I can see several scenarios here:
  1. ROS 7 doesn't have code to handle indoor/outdoor in the scope of outdoor DFS/radar channels skipping which is clearly an omission?
  2. Installation type is inferred from the model but if the above code is implemented, then this isn't working for the model above
  3. Installation type isn't inferred from the model and there "Installation" is missing from ROS 7
But it does sound like there is a problem somewhere with wAP ac LTE (as a minimum).

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:20 pm

Ahh... that's not good is it. Certainly has the small potential for getting you into hot water? Once again, a quick reply from a developer here would help the speculation.

Very likely devs reply won't be seen here. This is s bug so one should open a support ticket. Only this gives some chances to see it solved.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2024 2:24 pm

Having worked on both sides of the fence as 8-bit assembler through to business apps developer on one side, IT software manager and IT manager of a support helpdesk on the other, I can appreciate why this often the route you have to go but it isolates the developer from useful discussion like this. I know there is a tendency to ring fence the developers and NEVER let them engage with the customer but in "chewing the fat" topics like this (and the 5Ghz interface shutting down due to radar), the formal support process isn't the best solution.

There are people in this forum who are way more knowledgeable on this and other subjects than me. If I raise a support ticket, I'll be asked questions that I might not be able to answer.

I know it's often not common for developers to engage in the debate but when they do, it often leads faster to a better solution. Open Source development is an example of where developers often get involved.

I appreciate the risk - we might discover that ROS 7 is breaking UK transmission laws by allowing indoor DFS channels outdoors. Whilst not the most heinous of crimes, if it was a support ticket route, it could be sorted silently behind closed doors. Chat about it here and it's in the wild :-) That said, in the UK, we're currently dealing with the Post Office scandal where software bugs were brushed under the carpet leading to deaths of innocent people. I know, that's a completely extreme case. I'll shut up now!

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 03, 2024 5:16 pm

Well in the UK, you have a long standing tradition with "BBC vans", they may be re-vamped to detect people running outdoor WiFi on forbidden frequencies or exceeding total transmitting power indoors ....

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Feb 03, 2024 7:28 pm

There are people in this forum who are way more knowledgeable on this and other subjects than me. If I raise a support ticket, I'll be asked questions that I might not be able to answer.

Even @normis posted a few times in some topic or another ... asking topic author to open support ticket and to mention relevant forum topic in that support ticket. Probably to allow developer being assigned with ticket to find all the discussion and information easier.

robmaltsystems
Long time Member
Long time Member
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2024 10:00 pm

Well in the UK, you have a long standing tradition with "BBC vans", they may be re-vamped to detect people running outdoor WiFi on forbidden frequencies or exceeding total transmitting power indoors ....
That made me smile. The BBC and TV detector van is probably unique to this island 😁 My mum, much missed, house is currently empty. The TV licensing letters never give up with their threats of prosecution. It's all very British...

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Feb 03, 2024 11:08 pm

The BBC (in the sense of National TV) and the licensing system is (or was) common in other countries, but AFAIK the detector van is UK only.
There is something fascinating and very British in the fact that people believed (or possibly still believe) in that fantastic technology and that these vans actually survived on the streets more than a few days ( in the same country where the Robin Hood and the Sheriff of Nottingham stories were born).