Community discussions

MikroTik App

donkeyKong
just joined
Topic Author

SQM - using FQ-CODEL in interface queues and fasttrack

Sun Feb 04, 2024 7:40 pm

Hello,

I'd like to clarify if Interface Queues and FastTrack are compatible with each other?

I've been testing traffic between hosts connected to ether1 and ether3 (see conf below). Fasttrack byte counters go up (expected), and I would like to know if FQ-CODEL is working on this setup.
/queue type
add fq-codel-ecn=no fq-codel-limit=1200 fq-codel-quantum=300 kind=fq-codel name=fq-codel
/queue interface
set ether1 queue=fq-codel
set ether2 queue=fq-codel
set ether3 queue=fq-codel
set ether4 queue=fq-codel
set ether5 queue=fq-codel
set ether6 queue=fq-codel
set ether7 queue=fq-codel
set ether8 queue=fq-codel

moorezilla
just joined

Re: SQM - using FQ-CODEL in interface queues and fasttrack

Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:41 pm

It's unclear to me if FQ_Codel does anything without having a max-limit set.

If I set FQ_Codel on to an interface with a queue tree with a max-limit set, it limits traffic. If I just attach FQ_Codel to the wan or any interface, it's unclear to me if it's doing anything. It's unclear to me if FQ_Codel knows to kick in without having a speed set with max-limit. Can it sense back pressure without a max-limit set?

donkeyKong
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2024 3:46 pm

From my understanding, FQ-CODEL should reduce bufferbloat even at line rate (viewtopic.php?p=911225&hilit=for+isps%3 ... ns#p907244).

However, it seems that even on ROS 7.14rc1 this is not the case (viewtopic.php?p=911225&hilit=for+isps%3 ... ns#p907244). BQL is missing at the network driver level and looks to be necessary.

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:01 pm

Yeah, you need BQL to work this out. Contact MikroTik support and ask them to enable it.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Feb 25, 2024 8:05 pm

AFAIK, device drivers also need to support BQL. Since it's just a matter of pretty basic counters, it shouldn't be too complicated to implement. However, considering that BQL has been around for about 10-12 years, are you absolutely sure they haven't implemented it already or using some equivalent proprietary flow pacing mechanism required by fq-codel?

DarkNate
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:31 am

Normis replied in one of the threads on this forum - He said "We'll look into it" or something to that effect.

NO, there's no BQL as of ROS 7.14rc.

Larsa
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:02 pm

Okay, then I suppose they're using some other type of traffic pacing control required by fq-codel. A potential transition to standard BQL would likely simplify code management in the long run.