Community discussions

MikroTik App

MixALoot
just joined
Topic Author

source based weights on load balancing

Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:16 pm

I have an edgerouter,moving to a hEX now - I have 3 internet links, and 1 lan interface that everything connects through.

eth0,eth1 are both fttc lines at 36/8 each

eth2 is the 5g link

eth3 is my lan running 192.168.30.0/24

What I would like to do and am struggling with is how i can set balancing weights based on device calling, I want all my phones, laptops and all the general devices at home to run via the 5G link ( so somehow arrive at 80% weight for 5g, 10% each for the eth0/eth1 ) if the source of the connection is 192.168.30.100 - 150, and then set a 10% weight for the 5g link if source is from 192.168.30.200 - 250, with 45% each on eth0, eth1

I do want to keep all the three links available for all devices since each one on their own is somewhat unreliable.

any tips on howto achieve this would be very appreciated.

Mesquite

Re: source based weights on load balancing

Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:00 pm

Dont understand the requirements as stated.

If you want all the phones, laptops, general devices to run on the 5G link, then why is there any weighting?
That would be primary 5g, backup connections via fttc.

What is fftc, same provider ? same modem ? for both of these connections.

If you are going to split up users, suggest you use different subnets to distinguish them, much easier to deal with
If you are not able to, then will need to use firewall address lists to capture them appropriately on the LAN side.

What about servers any?
What about VPN any?

MixALoot
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:02 pm

hi, thanks for your reply.

i can subnet things off, for sure.

the fttc links are from different providers, but run to a similar ( almost to the byte/sec ) rates.

the aim is that for when individual equipment builds up traffic, i want it to keep using bandwidth till there is none left, but i want the fttc lines to be only used once the 5G is max'd out.

Similarly for the other workload i want it to only 'leak' over to the 5G once the fttc lines are max'd.

VPN's are in play, wireguard based, but not used extensively, maybe hitting a couple of MB/day of traffic.

edit: my apologies, i think you asked what is fttc, its a fibre to cabinet product in the UK here, VDSL i think its mostly called worldwide.
Last edited by MixALoot on Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mesquite

Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:01 pm

Summary.
You have three WANS,
- WAN1 and WAN2 serves primarily Group A users/devices, lets say vlan10
- WAN3 serves primarily Group B identified users/devices, lets say vlan20

When the combination of WAN1 and WAN2 gets saturated, make WAN3 also available to Group A users/devices.
When WAN3 gets saturated, make WAN1 and WAN2 also available to Group B users/devices.

This sounds like LOAD BALANCE by Kirnak
https://mum.mikrotik.com/presentations/US12/tomas.pdf
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67Dna_ffCvc