Community discussions

MikroTik App

hobbsit
just joined
Topic Author

RB3011 SFP speed issue

Wed Feb 14, 2024 2:35 am

Hello forum.

I have an issue with my SFP port on my RB3011 seemly being stuck at only 2.7 kbps TX/RX.

My end goal is to use the SFP as my main WAN for a new google fiber install, however I am seemingly stuck at the SFP providing anything resembling a proper connection.

I have SFP off my bridge, the link is Active with negotiation set to 10Gbps. I have tried also 1Gbps full duplex as well. Autonegotiation never allows the link to come up.

I have an Ipoplex ASF-10G-T module in the SFP cage.

New Cat6 between the ONT and SFP module.

DHCP client never resolves an IP address from Google and the SFP interface speed reports as 2.7 kbps.

If I plug the same cable into any of the ETH ports in the RB, I get DCHP address and traffic flows normal.

What is my issue with SFP causing it to function so poorly?

Configuration is attached and any insight is appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: RB3011 SFP speed issue

Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:59 am

You are running RouterOS 6.49.3 and there has been many releases over the years since. There has also been many fixes particularly related to SFP modules in that time.

Upgrade to latest 6 release and see if that fixes the issue or else plan an upgrade to the latest v7 release.

If you go the v7 upgrade route be sure to backup your configuration first and upgrade to 7.12.1 which is the last version that should migrate your old config. Then if all works you can upgrade to the latest release.

rplant

Fri Feb 16, 2024 12:02 pm

RB3011 has a 1G sfp port not 10G.

hobbsit
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:44 pm

Ok, I have updated to latest RB6, 6.49.13 Os and firmware.

I know the SFP speed is 1G, I have tried setting 1G, 2.5G, 10G settings with no change.

Would using an SFP+ 10G module in the 1G SFP cage have this issue?

The behavior persists, I get 1 packet pulse at 2.7 kbps every ~1 second and that is all the traffic on that port.

I have uploaded the latest config, configout2.txt.rsc, the speed is set to 1G full duplex.
configout2.txt.rsc
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

hobbsit
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2024 9:22 pm

Further work, I updated to RouterOS 7.13.4 and Firmware 7.13.4

Same issue, I am starting to wonder if it is truly the modules I am using. I have ordered some new and will see if pure 1G modules fair better.

Latest config still posted for any use:
configout3.txt.rsc

rplant

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:21 am

Sorry, on review it looks like 10G optical modules very likely work in this port. (I had thought they wouldn't)

But the Base T modules, not so much probably at least partly because they have a bunch more complexity in them.

Mikrotik's S+RJ10 won't work with any SFP only port, only sfp+, I would assume the Ipoplex one would be similar.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... patibility

hobbsit
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2024 2:56 am

Thank you both so far for answering.

I have some new behavior, though still not ideal. I have scrounged up some 1G modules (XZSNET) to try and isolate this. I know it's a bit all over the place but working with all secondhand equipment I'll take what I can get.

The new modules are 1G-baseT.

Having the Ethernet on SFP set to 1G BaseX (or 1GBaseT) with flow control on both Rx and Tx, the traffic now receives ~124 kbps/sec where previously it was 0.

Although, with this change I still do not have proper use of the port, ping out from sfp1 is 100% lost.

Is there any module folks have had luck with in this model SFP?

elbob2002
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:00 am

I have used Cisco 1GB GLC-T in my RB3011 and it worked fine. I did have an Arista one that didn't work so it could be hit or miss with some modules.

EDIT - Forgot to mention that the reason I stopped using the SFP on my RB3011 is because there are two switch chips in it with an aggregate 2Gb/s link to the CPU. Unless you use the SFP port. This will reduce ports 6 to 10 to 1Gb/s to the CPU and the SFP will only have 1Gb/s to the CPU. Ports 1 to 5 will still have 2Gb/s

For my scenario at the time this was suboptimal so I stopped using the SFP.

rplant

Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:35 am

For Mikrotik's S-RJ01 they have the following note:

Use these modules only with auto-negotiation enabled, forced link speeds are not supported. They will negotiate to correct duplex and highest possible rate.

I would suggest you also do this.

Also, try plugging the other end into a normal ethernet port on something local, that you have some control of.
(A mikrotik would be ideal, as you can change the allowed rates and see how it behaves, and also do btest)

Edit: In the sfp tab it has a Rate Select field, probably choose High.
Edit2: If the other end requires a fixed non negotiated rate, it might not be usable.