Community discussions

MikroTik App

ACristiMihai
just joined
Topic Author

help to configure

Sun Feb 18, 2024 12:51 pm

Hi there,

I recently purchased a Mikrotik hAP ax3 router (Model: C53UiG+5HPaxD2HPaxD) and I'm having trouble connecting it to my cAP XL ac access point (Model: RBcAPGi-5acD2nD-XL). Despite trying various commands, I can't seem to establish a connection between the router and the access point.

I've read through the commands required for setup, but I'm unsure why the cAP XL isn't connecting to the router. I intend to use these devices in my office, where the distance between the router and the cAP is approximately 30 meters. I'm considering resetting both devices and starting the setup process from scratch. Could it be possible that the router doesn't support this type of cAP?

I'd appreciate any advice or a video tutorial that could guide me through the setup process. Clear instructions would be really helpful. Thank you very much for your assistance.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: help to configure

Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:28 pm

First things first:
AX3 and cAP XL AC are devices using two different wifi technologies. AX3 is wifi6 using wave2 drivers, XL AC is wifi5 using legacy drivers. You CAN upgrade XL AC to wave2 drivers but let's not get there right now.

What I first would like to see from you is HOW are those 2 devices connected and how do you want them to work together ?
A small diagram perhaps ?

Default cap xl ac will work in router mode, I guess you will want to behave as simple AP, nothing more. And AX3 acting as router for all the rest. Right ?

Mesquite

Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:42 pm

You should also discuss how many subnets you have/need and your current use of vlans if any.

ACristiMihai
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:29 am

I have attached a diagram of the current network configuration (i hope that u understand what i have draw). Currently, I aim to establish a Wi-Fi network primarily focused on enhancing the performance of the access points (APs) to strengthen the Wi-Fi signal within office 2. Could you please guide me on configuring the APs to achieve this objective
First things first:
AX3 and cAP XL AC are devices using two different wifi technologies. AX3 is wifi6 using wave2 drivers, XL AC is wifi5 using legacy drivers. You CAN upgrade XL AC to wave2 drivers but let's not get there right now.

What I first would like to see from you is HOW are those 2 devices connected and how do you want them to work together ?
A small diagram perhaps ?

Default cap xl ac will work in router mode, I guess you will want to behave as simple AP, nothing more. And AX3 acting as router for all the rest. Right ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ACristiMihai
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:31 am

for the moment we just want to make it work then i will come back with other question .

You should also discuss how many subnets you have/need and your current use of vlans if any.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:45 pm

Easiest for you
(myself, I would take a shortcut via caps mode but then you need to start from 0 with wifi config, so let's not do that):

- connect PC/laptop to ether2 on cap XL AC
- connect using Winbox and MAC address (not IP address)
(beware: it could be password is on a label on the back of the device or a separate label in the box)
- make a new user for yourself with your own passwd, full rights. Log in again using those new credentials (personally: this is the point where I delete admin user)
- Winbox / Quickset (yes everyone, Quickset)
- choose WISP AP, set your wifi settings, config mode = bridged and automatic address acquisition
- Apply
- Problem: this Quickset will only configure 5GHz part. But you should be able to figure out then how to change 2GHz part.

After this, NEVER use Quickset again unless you start from default config again.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:09 pm

Only as a side note/question/doubt.
Is it actually convenient to use CAPsman when only two or three devices are involved? :?:
From what I understand managing the two or three devices "independently" is easier, while when the number of devices increases the initial complexities of CAPsman are compensated by later easier management.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:27 pm

@jaclaz, where do you see capsman being mentioned by OP ?

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 19, 2024 2:56 pm

@jaclaz, where do you see capsman being mentioned by OP ?
It isn't/I don't, hence the "Only as a side note/question/doubt.".

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:01 pm

Side answer then:
depends on what you need to achieve.
Pure setup of AP, much easier standalone for most / newcomers.
But if you want to benefit from central management and better roaming, capsman is advised.
(IMHO to be honest, it's not thát much more effort to setup capsman versus standalone mode since in wave2 it are the exact same tabs/screens to be used).

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:15 pm

Thanks :) , but I wanted a "definite" suggested number/where to draw some lines, something *like*:.
1. Router + 1 AP = no CAPsman, independent is more convenient
2. Router + 2 AP = no CAPsman, independent is more convenient
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
3. Router + 3 AP = CAPsman or independent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. Router + 4 AP = CAPsman, definitely

Is the first line between #2 and #3 correct? And the second between #3 and #4?

Or should them be moved up one notch?
Last edited by jaclaz on Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:17 pm

I use CAPsMAN for Router + 2 APs. Roaming and stuff. But someone will say that there is no need for CAPsMAN with only 2 APs.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:20 pm

I also have it for 2 APs at home (mainly for learning how to use it myself, my whole home environment is one big lab setup :lol: ).

I have other installations with 4 APs and no capsman.
Or 15 APs and capsman.

Again, depends on what you want.

Rox169

Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:28 pm

capsman helps roaming...so if you have 2 or more AP it is better to have capsman....

Mesquite

Mon Feb 19, 2024 6:49 pm

I am of the ilk that first you get a solid config with the network up and running and then you tweak.
In the long run, I would tend to agree if both wifi setups are of the same vintage and it will benefit roaming, capsman may be a logical goal to reach for.
Its all going to work just fine without it, but not as Optimal with best roaming etc.. But doesn't give extra range or anything like that, smoother handovers is the outcome!
Note, its not a matter of the number of APs, alone, they have to be MT APs, and ideally same vintage.

I also note that the cap device is not the same wifi as the axe device, and that adds another layer of complexity getting in the way of easily getting the network up and running!
I think what was noted earlier is smartest. Get the OP setup learning vlans and the wifi of each vintage first, up and running and working.

Then, consider adding capsman into the mix, later on. My .o1 cents.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So far this is an easy case of pcunites bridge vlan filtering.
All vlans, one bridge FOR ALL THREE MT devices.

Trunk port on ax3 to trunk port on switch.
Trunk port on switch to trunk port on capac ( consider configuring cap on the bench next to the PC using ether2 (offf bridge) prior to installing ( also if not easily accessible, wire up ether2 like ether1, to a location where you can easily plug in with a laptop )
Trunk port on switch to trunk port on CrS310

Management vlan99 is passed to both devices and this is the subnet they get their IP address from.
I can set this up for both the cap and the CR310 in five minutes each.
Ask me to do capsman on top........... give me a week LOL.

Mesquite

Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:12 pm

For the cap ( wifi is representative of wifi5, so not to be used verbatim).
/interface bridge
add ingress-filtering=no name=bridgecap vlan-filtering=yes
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=offbridge-access
/interface vlan
add interface=bridgecap name=mgmt-VLAN vlan-id=99  { mandatory, management vlan must be identified in /interface vlan - do not put any other vlans here!! }
/interface list
add name=management
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=canada disabled=no frequency=5500 \
    mode=ap-bridge name=home-WLan security-profile=home_Security skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=NoPain-NoGain wireless-protocol=\
    802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-b="" country=canada disabled=no frequency=2437 mode=ap-bridge \
    name=guest-Wlan rate-set=configured security-profile=media_Security skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=Welcome \
    supported-rates-b=11Mbps wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
add disabled=no keepalive-frames=disabled mac-address=yy.yy.yy.yy  master-interface=mediaWlan multicast-buffering=\
    disabled name=iot-WLAN security-profile=Cerv_key ssid=machine wds-cost-range=0 wds-default-cost=0 wmm-support=\
    enabled wps-mode=disabled
/interface bridge port 
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged interface=ether1  comment="trunk port from switch"
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-untagged-and-priority-tagged interface=home-WLAN  pvid=XY  comment="trusted wifi"
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-untagged-and-priority-tagged interface=guest-WLAN pvid=AB  comment="guest wifi" 
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-untagged-and-priority-tagged interface=iot-WLAN  pvid=CD  comment="iot wifi" 
/ip neighbor discovery-settings
set discover-interface-list=management
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=bridgecap,ether1  vlan-ids=99 { only  management vlan is tagged also with bridge }
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=ether1 untagged=home-WLan  vlan-ids=XY
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=ether1 untagged=guest-Wlan  vlan-ids=AB
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=ether1 untagged=iot-Wlan  vlan-ids=CD
/interface list member
add interface=mgmt-VLAN list=management
add interface=offbridge-access list=management
/ip address
add address=192.168.99.2/24 interface=mgmtVlan network=192.168.99.0  comment="IP of capac on trusted subnet"
add address=192.168.55.1/24 interface=offbridge-access network=192.168.55.0 comment="ether2 access off bridge"
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.99.1  { Note: Done so all dns requests use trusted subnet } 
/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.99.1 comment="ensures route avail through trusted subnet gateway"
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set ssh address=x.x.x.x
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes
/system ntp client servers
add address=192.168.99.1
/tool mac-server
set allowed-interface-list=none
/tool mac-server mac-winbox
set allowed-interface-list=management

Mesquite

Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:37 pm

For the switch

/interface bridge
add name=bridgeSW vlan-filtering=yes
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=offbridge-2
/interface vlan
add interface=bridgeSW  name=mgmtVLAN  vlan-id=99
/interface list
add name=management
/interface bridge port
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged interface=ether1 comment="trunk from ax"
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=ether3 pvid=GH  
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=ether4 pvid=GH  
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=ether5 pvid=GH  
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=ether6 pvid=LM  
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=ether7 pvid=LM 
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=ether8 pvid=LM 
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-priority-and-untagged interface=sfpplus1 pvid=GH 
add bridge=bridgeSW  ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged interface=sfpplus2 comment="to smart device"
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridgeSW tagged=bridgeSW,ether1,sfpplus2  vlan-ids=99
add bridge=bridgeSW tagged=ether1,sfpplus2   untagged=ether3,ether4,ether5,sffplus1  vlan-ids=GH
add bridge=bridgeSW tagged=ether1  untagged=ether6,ether7,ether8   vlan-ids=LM
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.99.1
/ip address
add address=192.168.99.3/24  interface=bridgeSW network=192.168.99.0
add address=192.168.55.1/24 interface=offbridge-2 network=192.168.5.0
/ip route
add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0  gateway=192.168.99.1 
/tool mac-server

ACristiMihai
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:15 am

Hello
So this is to configure the CAP to conect with the ROUTER?
there is a little problem if i can say that i have conection ppoe using on the router .
Easiest for you
(myself, I would take a shortcut via caps mode but then you need to start from 0 with wifi config, so let's not do that):

- connect PC/laptop to ether2 on cap XL AC
- connect using Winbox and MAC address (not IP address)
(beware: it could be password is on a label on the back of the device or a separate label in the box)
- make a new user for yourself with your own passwd, full rights. Log in again using those new credentials (personally: this is the point where I delete admin user)
- Winbox / Quickset (yes everyone, Quickset)
- choose WISP AP, set your wifi settings, config mode = bridged and automatic address acquisition
- Apply
- Problem: this Quickset will only configure 5GHz part. But you should be able to figure out then how to change 2GHz part.

After this, NEVER use Quickset again unless you start from default config again.

ACristiMihai
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:21 am

so to understand i can use this command on cap or is for someone else?
For the cap ( wifi is representative of wifi5, so not to be used verbatim).
/interface bridge
add ingress-filtering=no name=bridgecap vlan-filtering=yes
/interface ethernet
set [ find default-name=ether2 ] name=offbridge-access
/interface vlan
add interface=bridgecap name=mgmt-VLAN vlan-id=99  { mandatory, management vlan must be identified in /interface vlan - do not put any other vlans here!! }
/interface list
add name=management
/interface wireless
set [ find default-name=wlan2 ] band=5ghz-onlyac channel-width=20/40mhz-Ce country=canada disabled=no frequency=5500 \
    mode=ap-bridge name=home-WLan security-profile=home_Security skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=NoPain-NoGain wireless-protocol=\
    802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
set [ find default-name=wlan1 ] band=2ghz-g/n basic-rates-b="" country=canada disabled=no frequency=2437 mode=ap-bridge \
    name=guest-Wlan rate-set=configured security-profile=media_Security skip-dfs-channels=all ssid=Welcome \
    supported-rates-b=11Mbps wireless-protocol=802.11 wmm-support=enabled wps-mode=disabled
add disabled=no keepalive-frames=disabled mac-address=yy.yy.yy.yy  master-interface=mediaWlan multicast-buffering=\
    disabled name=iot-WLAN security-profile=Cerv_key ssid=machine wds-cost-range=0 wds-default-cost=0 wmm-support=\
    enabled wps-mode=disabled
/interface bridge port 
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-only-vlan-tagged interface=ether1  comment="trunk port from switch"
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-untagged-and-priority-tagged interface=home-WLAN  pvid=XY  comment="trusted wifi"
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-untagged-and-priority-tagged interface=guest-WLAN pvid=AB  comment="guest wifi" 
add bridge=bridgecap ingress-filtering=yes frame-types=admit-untagged-and-priority-tagged interface=iot-WLAN  pvid=CD  comment="iot wifi" 
/interface bridge vlan
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=bridgecap,ether1  vlan-ids=99 { only  management vlan is tagged also with bridge }
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=ether1 untagged=home-WLan  vlan-ids=XY
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=ether1 untagged=guest-Wlan  vlan-ids=AB
add bridge=bridgecap tagged=ether1 untagged=iot-Wlan  vlan-ids=CD
/interface list member
add interface=mgmt-VLAN list=management
add interface=offbridge-access list=management
/ip address
add address=192.168.99.2/24 interface=mgmtVlan network=192.168.99.0  comment="IP of capac on trusted subnet"
add address=192.168.55.1/24 interface=offbridge-access network=192.168.55.0 comment="ether2 access off bridge"
/ip dns
set allow-remote-requests=yes servers=192.168.99.1  { Note: Done so all dns requests use trusted subnet } 
/ip route
add disabled=no dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=192.168.99.1 comment="ensures route avail through trusted subnet gateway"
/ip service
set telnet disabled=yes
set ftp disabled=yes
set www disabled=yes
set ssh address=x.x.x.x
set api disabled=yes
set api-ssl disabled=yes
/system ntp client
set enabled=yes
/system ntp client servers
add address=192.168.99.1
/tool mac-server

ips
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 20, 2024 9:45 am

Thanks :) , but I wanted a "definite" suggested number/where to draw some lines, something *like*:.
1. Router + 1 AP = no CAPsman, independent is more convenient
2. Router + 2 AP = no CAPsman, independent is more convenient
3. Router + 3 AP = CAPsman or independent
4. Router + 4 AP = CAPsman, definitely

Is the first line between #2 and #3 correct? And the second between #3 and #4?

Or should them be moved up one notch?
In my case (setup at home hAP ax3 as a router, hAP ax lite as AP+switch) CAPsman was (almost) the easiest route (using wifi configuration profiles on the hAP ax3 + enabling capsman, reset to CAP mode of the hAP ax lite). But the 2 devices are already ax (no driver mismatches). The ugliest part was to lock channel on 5GHz, but since the ax lite does not have 5GHx interface, I was able to set the config directly on the wifi1 device.

Mesquite

Tue Feb 20, 2024 5:02 pm

We will receive many examples but what you said highlights the need for
a. to understand each variation of wifi first (before using another layer of complexity - capsman)
b. in this case both devices are not the same vintage....

@op, I gave you both the generic setup of the cap you have and the switch Its time you did some work to figure things out.

ips
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:20 pm

I agree with you. My point is that drawing lines is highly subjective.

Mesquite

Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:24 pm

I agree with you. My point is that drawing lines is highly subjective.
Concur, personally, I have steered clear of capsman and still have all my hair!! ;-)

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Feb 20, 2024 7:33 pm

Didn't you once say that you will give capsman a try ?

Mesquite

Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:11 pm

Yup, when there is a need. I currently only have a cap and an ax3 both as wifi devics with a CCR1-1009 router and a mixed bag of other vendor consumer APs..........So no need for roaming as I dont have two of the same anything.