Community discussions

MikroTik App

BlackVS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

CRS310-8G+2S+ with free flying heat sink

Wed Feb 28, 2024 9:04 am

Got surprise - after CRS310 worked in vertical state (it is allowed state due to we have corresponding wall mount holes on the case) I heard that fan started work much noisier even if no any traffic load. Opened the case and saw this :( :

https://ibb.co/PQS5fYq

Question 1 to Mikrotik team - may be use more robust heatsink mounting instead double-sided scotch tapes which cannot hold good ???

Question 2. Fan connector in the front of fan... it is weird

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: CRS310-8G+2S+ with free flying heat sink

Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:43 am

That isn't a question..

What is weird about it? Standard 4-pin fan power connection. One pin is ground, one pin is power, one pin controls the speed, and one pin reports the speed.

BlackVS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:33 am

That isn't a question..

What is weird about it? Standard 4-pin fan power connection. One pin is ground, one pin is power, one pin controls the speed, and one pin reports the speed.
Weird because it is quite big and partially blocks airflow from cooler to heatsinks. As result cooler runs on higher speed to compensate this. Just to move this connector 2cm right or left...

BlackVS
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:00 am

BTW after my fix my router looks like:
https://ibb.co/n7r6QXv
i.e.

1. I used special double side scotch for heatsinks
2. Yes, I made "support leg" using thick scotch like Mikrotik's do due to no choice, you can see it.
3. I replaced original plate pin heat sink with square pin one with about same area. Why? It better for airflow (original is placed at 45grad to fan, may be they, designers, tried turn airflow to ventilation holes on the left? Can't say. But after replacing heatsink temperature actually becomes few degrees lower (may be also because I fix heatsink better than it was before %))
4. I replaced fan to Noctua one. I know that it performance is less comparing to the original fan (last one is very loud), I even bought 2nd fan and thought install it on left or rear side but after few weeks of usage I see that I needn't to do this, router is not hot and is very quite %) (it is used mainly as 2.5G VLAN desktop switch)
5. I noted to never put this router in vertical position %)