Community discussions

MikroTik App

Learning01
just joined
Topic Author

Best device with FW/router/vlan (wired and WiFi) suggestion

Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:23 pm

Hi,
I’m looking for a 1) home router with tagging and vlans and FW. I can muddle my way through FW rules (used to support email protection system).
Im also looking for an 2) access point that’s compatible, that supports vlan WiFi, so that my cameras are separated from my personal WiFi usage,
3) small ethernet switches for personal and separately for the wired cameras on their own vlan.

I currently have 3 deco x20 mesh which besides limited functionality, has a too strong signal. Hackers on the street are deauthorizing my cameras and I fear my network has been breached, but the logging on deco isn’t great, so it’s hard to tell.

I have 7 -10 personal devices (PCs, iPads) and 8 WiFi cameras. Before I replace the cameras, I want the network tied down.

As an aside I’d pay for someone to come up with a way to reflect deauth signals back on the sender.😖
Thanks in advance.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Best device with FW/router/vlan (wired and WiFi) suggestion

Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:38 am

What is your current internet speed ? And if you have low speed (dsl line for eg.) is there a possibility that you get fibre in the future ?

AX3 is great home router with WiFi 6 but then maybe single AP is not enough. What are dimensions of your place ? Is there a single floor ? Are walls made from brick or drywall ?

For the switch, you need poe ? Or are wired cameras powered locally ?

For router you have ax3 for eg.: https://mikrotik.com/product/hap_ac3#f ... fications

Or, if you have or will have in the future gig or multi gig fibre RB5009 with PoE out: https://mikrotik.com/product/rb5009upr_s_in

For AP you have cAP ax: https://mikrotik.com/product/cap_ax

And for the switch you have something like CRS112 with or without poe and CSS610. Depends on how much ports do you need

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:46 am

Don't forget AX2. Might be a better choice if those big ears of AX3 don't pass for your other half :lol:

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:56 pm

Yea, thanks, i almost forgot about ax2. Personally my favourite router. To bad it doesn't have USB port...

Learning01
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:14 pm

Thank you for your help🙂
I’m currently in a 4sq ft house, stucco and plaster internally. My first router WiFi couldn’t make it through an end to a room four feet away, hence the upgrade to the decos. I will probably be moving soon to a smaller residence.
I have the lowest through put service of optimum on line (200mbs).
My iPads and PCs are older models. The WiFi cameras are wpa2. Two can be converted to ethernet (yah Tapo!).

My goal is to secure ,wifi via vlan , my personal devices from the cameras. I suspect I will need several small range APs to cover the house internally.

Learning01
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 01, 2024 8:16 pm

All the outdoor cams, except one, have power sockets.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 02, 2024 7:01 am

That was a shitty router if you have signal problem 4ft away...

But if you plan to move to smaller house soon then maybe you should wait a little bit ? Or you can provide floor plan if possible so we can help you with device placement.

In current house you can have 2-3 AP but maybe in new you need only one so it would be a waste of money...

Also... Smaller than 4 sq ft ??? :lol:

Most important thing, what is your budget ?

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Mar 02, 2024 2:01 pm

Also... Smaller than 4 sq ft ??? :lol:
Harry Potter's cupboard under the stairs? :?:

And the new word for today is "spandrel":
https://www.jarrodsstaircases.co.uk/ana ... staircase/

:lol: