Community discussions

MikroTik App

Gamabouy
just joined
Topic Author

What is with the NetMetal 5 series?

Fri Mar 01, 2024 11:21 pm

I currently use a MikroTik RB922UAGS-5HPacT-NM AP to connect my laptop to a drone, the range is stupid impressive but recently the PoE converter onboard seems to be acting up and I wanted to get it replaced. The model that I use (2W output, triple antennas, 5GHz only) does not seem to be available as is replaced by several other NetMetal 5 models, none of which have triple antennas.

What model (or different AP entirely) do I get to match the range and thoroughput of my current model?

Thanks

krafg
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: What is with the NetMetal 5 series?

Thu Mar 07, 2024 5:21 pm

As I know, the triple antenna is only to get more throughput, not more coverage, so it uses MIMO technology. The newest NetMetal (AC2) should be better thanks to AC technology and reach better speed at same coverage. Anyway if your drone only have 2 internal antennas, it never will use the 3 antennas of your actual system. Another thing important also is the polarity, on major PTP/Wi-Fi systems antennas uses vertical + horizontal polarity to get a MIMO 2x2 system, but on LTE for example, them uses a X-Polarity also using MIMO 2x2 technology. All will depends on how the antenna is constructed.

Regards.