Community discussions

MikroTik App

m4rlus
just joined
Topic Author

Enable Protected Routerboard on a mass of devices

Fri Mar 08, 2024 6:32 pm

I have recently been working a lot on a solution that allows me to provision several routers at the same time.

Unfortunately, due to the misuse of the Protected Routerboard option, the security precaution was introduced that you always have to press the button once for Protected Routerboard to be switched on. This security mechanism definitely makes a lot of sense.

But for us, as a result, someone has to press all the buttons on around 20-40 devices within 60 seconds during auto-configuration at our deploy station. With 20 devices this is still completely manageable, but with 40 devices it becomes difficult.

It would be best to have an option in Flashfig that automatically sets the protected routerboard option to on, at least when flashing the devices. This should not pose a major security risk. I have not yet come up with a better option.

Unfortunately, this is currently making our workflow a lot slower.

what do you think of the suggestion, am i forgetting something? :P
I'm open to discussion on this topic.

TheCat12
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Enable Protected Routerboard on a mass of devices

Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:12 pm

Maybe try to downgrade all of the routers to v6 so that there is no need of pressing the button for enabling protected-routerboard and after that upgrade them again to whatever version they were originally on?

m4rlus
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:54 pm

Maybe try to downgrade all of the routers to v6 so that there is no need of pressing the button for enabling protected-routerboard and after that upgrade them again to whatever version they were originally on?
That won’t work, as you can’t downgrade devices below the factory software level.

arifworldnet2
just joined

Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:02 pm

Your idea of having Flashfig set the protected routerboard option automatically sounds pretty smart. It sounds like it could make things easier without risking security too much.