Community discussions

MikroTik App

l1nuxphr33
just joined
Topic Author

Need help with Wifiwave2 capsman

Sat Mar 09, 2024 4:46 am

Hello All. New here. First post. I am trying to figure out the best route for setting up these 2 CAP AX devices I have running. So I am new to Mikrotik but absolutely love the equipment.

Currently running:
RB4011iGS+ -main router (this is my old capsman manager (still running) & where I am trying to setup wifiwave2 capsman)
CRS328-24P-4S+ - POE switch
2x RBcAPGi-5acD2nD (replacing these with CAP AX devices)

I have taken 1 of the RBcAPGi-5acD2nD down & put a cAPGi-5HaxD2HaxD up in it's place. I am trying to setup wifiwave2 capsman as I want to take advantage of a singular central management location. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. I see the cAPGi-5HaxD2HaxD on the wifiwave2 capsman settings on the RB4011iGS+, but I can't provision it or see the Wireless Radios. I am not 100% sure what to post to help. So let me know what you need to see & I can get that for you

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Need help with Wifiwave2 capsman

Sat Mar 09, 2024 10:36 am

What version of ROS is running on RB4011 ?

You're in a problematic situation due to that RB4011 and it's odd wireless setup (it has 2 different wifi chips, each controlling one of the radio channels)...

If 7.12 or older, you need to install wifi-qcom-ac package in order to have it act as capsman manager for wave2 devices. BUT ... that means you will loose 2.4GHz radio on RB4011. Only 5GHz radio will remain operation on that device (no problem for cap AX, it will be fully functional)

if 7.13 or higher, base package already has wave2 features to act as capsman manager BUT then you need wireless package to be able to use both radios on RB4011. Those radios will still have to be controlled using "old" capsman then (if you want).

More info:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Wireless

So first you need to clear out that situation.

l1nuxphr33
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2024 4:32 am

Ok. So the RB4011 is running ROS 7.14. I recently updated it from 6.9 (i think this was the version). I don’t have any radios in this. It’s just 10 rj45 ports and 1 sfp+

It sees the cap ax in the wifiwave2 capsman. It just doesn’t appear to be able to configure or manage the cap ax and I’m not sure what I’m doing incorrectly as I copied the configuration from the old capsman (as best I could)

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:06 am

Capsman for wave2 is a totally different thing.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... iFiCAPsMAN

l1nuxphr33
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 14, 2024 2:57 am

Capsman for wave2 is a totally different thing.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... iFiCAPsMAN

I get that but I basically copied my configuration & put it in the new wifi tab in winbox. I setup 2 configurations for 5gz & 2.4ghz. I created a security profile. I created a datapath. I setup channels. And then made a provisioning config. I see the cap ax under remote cap in winbox, but I can't get it to provision & I see no radios. That is what has me lost. When I do the same thing on the CAP AX it's self, not using wifiwave2 capsman, the SSID that I setup shows up.

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 14, 2024 7:45 am

Show both configs
Controller and cap