Community discussions

MikroTik App

anserk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Interface lists efficiency for firewall

Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:54 pm

I would like to know about internal efficiency when using interface lists in firewall rules. For example, if I need to match packets between multiple interfaces in all directions, what would be more efficient for CPU?

Using interface lists
/interface list
add name=testlist
/interface list member
add interface=vlan101 list=testlist
add interface=vlan102 list=testlist

/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-packet chain=forward in-interface-list=testlist new-packet-mark=intervlan out-interface-list=testlist passthrough=yes
Using individual rules
/ip firewall mangle
add action=mark-packet chain=forward in-interface=vlan101 new-packet-mark=intervlan out-interface=vlan102 passthrough=yes
add action=mark-packet chain=forward in-interface=vlan102 new-packet-mark=intervlan out-interface=vlan101 passthrough=yes
This is an example with only two interfaces. The more interfaces are part of this configuration, the more rules would be needed. Lists are definitely easier from usability point of view, but I'm curious if it's also more efficient. On the other hand, if internally expanding the lists results in more rules, it could be slower potentially. Technically speaking, this example with two interfaces has the possibility of four variations: vlan101 => vlan101, vlan101 => vlan102, vlan102 => vlan102, vlan102 => vlan101.

This is more of an academic question, although with a large number of interfaces it could get practical meaning.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Interface lists efficiency for firewall

Sun Mar 10, 2024 12:10 pm

I'd expect that one rule using interface-list would be more effective than multiple rules using interfaces. One aspect is overhead of executing a rule, which is the same for any rule (regardless the check types), and I assume it's not trivial. The other aspect is handling interface-lust members, these could be either checked very efficiently in a close loop inside rule ... or they could be handled very inefficiently by caling simillar rule with single interface for every list member. I'd expect ROS to implement the former (efficient) strategy in which case using interface lists makes lots of sense.

But the above is only my speculation. Only MT engineers can give you a definite answer to your question, and to get an answer you'd probably have to open a ticket with support (e.g. via e-mail).

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Mar 10, 2024 6:38 pm

My rules of thumb for traffic flow rules.

a. For traffic to or from a single subnet USE: SRC or DST address x.x.x.0/24
b. For traffic to or from two or more whole subnets USE: interface lists
c. For traffic to or from remote subnets (not known to the router) USE: firewall address lists
d. For traffic to or from a group of users ( less than a subnet or from various subnets ) WITH OR WITHOUT other whole subnets USE: firewall address lists

An exception to b, is that the management interface list entry may contain only only one subnet ( interface list used in neighbours discovery and in mac-server mac-winbox )

anserk
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:46 pm

Thank you both for input. If RouterOS 7 uses nftables behind the scenes, then it has the ability to define multiple interfaces in a single rule (unlike iptables). And because it's a built-in nftables functionality, I'm sure it is as efficient as it can be.

I did a quick anecdotal iperf single stream test and watched CPU usage. Two-rule approach loaded one core up to 97% and even 100% very briefly. The interface list method loaded one core to 88%. Granted, it's not a very scientific test with many factors, but the results were consistent on multiple runs. It definitely didn't get worse.