Community discussions

MikroTik App

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

hAP ac2 not working after 7.14 update.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 12:54 pm

Hi all,

I am running one RB4011 as router (with wifi) and three hAP ac2's (as wifi bridge).
Last Friday I noticed 7.14 (stable) was available as an update.
So I logged in to one of my hAP ac2's via Winbox.
As usual, I went into Files and created a backup, which I also downloaded.
Then I went into System --> Packages and Checked for Updates.
7.14 (stable) was available so I did a Download&Install.
The software downloaded and the hAP ac2 rebooted, but it never showed up in my Winbox again.

After half an hour of waiting for de device to show itself in Winbox again (doing a Refresh every few minutes), I unplugged the device and plugged it back in. But still no joy.

So I decided to do a reset.
I unplugged the device, pressed and held the rst/wps button and plugged it back in.
The pwr and usr led came on, and when the usr led started blinking, I release the rst/wps button.
After that, both pwr and usr led came on again, but the device still didn't show up in Winbox.

So I hooked up the device directly to my laptop with a Cat6 UTP cable an powered on the device.
Again, the pwr and usr led come on, but it doesn't show up in Winbox.
Occasionally, I see the usr led turning off and on again, and at the same time the ethernet interface on my laptop shows unplugged.
Also, it doesn't matter on which port of the hAP ac2 I connect my cable (port 1 to 5). The result is the same as above.

So I decided to try a Netinstall as per these instructions:

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Etherboot
and
https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

But here's where the instructions don't line up with reality.
The hAP ac2 shows up in the Netinstall screen with status "ready".
I select it the device, select the appropriate package I want to install, and hit install.
The device shows status "installing", and after a short wait, it shows "ready" again.

The next step according to the manual is to select the "Reboot" option, but both Netinstall 7.13 and 7.14 don't have this option!

So I unplug the device, wait a few seconds and plugged it back in.
But nothing happens...
Yes, the pwr and usr led come on, but it doesn't show up in Winbox.
Again, I see the usr led turning off and on again, and at the same time the ethernet interface on my laptop shows unplugged.
And again, it doesn't matter on which port of the hAP ac2 I connect my cable. The result is the same as above.

I tried both Netinstall version 7.13 and 7.14. All with the same results...

Now...
According to some posts I read on this forum, the 16Mb (actual 15.3MiB) could be the problem here.
On my other hAP ac2 devices, I have just one config backup of 251.8 KiB stored, resulting in 1% free flash space.
Apparently running 7.13 stable (with only Routeros and wireless packages) almost consumes all free space on the flash drive.
And the 7.14 package is allegedly ever larger than 7.13.

However, all posts mention that a Netinstall should do the trick, since a Netinstall reformats the flash drive and puts the new packages and firmware on the device.

In my case, a Netinstall does nothing.
So the question is, how to proceed now.

It would be a shame if my €80,- hAP ac2 would turn out to be a useless piece of plastic with some chips in it after an update.

erlinden
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: hAP ac2 not working after 7.14 update.

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:08 pm

The wiki is the v6.x documentation, you better have a look at "help" which is the v7.x equivalent:
https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ROS/Netinstall

What do you exactly mean by backup? Because a backup can only be restored to the same RouterOS version and device as far as I know.
Have you used the backup in any way?

How long did the installation through netinstall take?

Reboot is indeed missing (if my memory serves me well), I was able to connect through Winbox by MAC address (Neighbors).

infabo
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:37 pm

You could try to netinstall only the ROS main package without wireless package - just to see if netinstall works and you're not running into disk-full issues. You can still install wireless package afterwards from within winbox.

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:54 pm

What do you exactly mean by backup? Because a backup can only be restored to the same RouterOS version and device as far as I know.
Have you used the backup in any way?

How long did the installation through netinstall take?
With backup, I mean the config backup I always make before upgrading. (Files --> Backup).

As for the Netinstall installation...
As soon as I click Install, Netinstall shows "sending offer" in the lower left corner of the "Routers/Drives" filed.
The device status changes from ready to installing, but this only takes about 10 to 15 secs.

I get the same with the 64bit Netinstall 7.13 and 7.14 as well as with the 32bit Netinstall of both versions.

Thanx for pointing me to the right version of the Netinstall manual. However, I do not see any significant difference in the steps taken in the other manual.
You could try to netinstall only the ROS main package without wireless package
That is exactly what I tried.
Like I mentioned, most posts suggest a space issue on the flash drive, so I figured I'd try with only the OS first.
But as of yet, to no avail.

lcastorena
just joined

Mon Mar 11, 2024 11:17 pm

I am experiencing the same issue with multiple ac2 routers. I attempted to restore to factory but unable. NO DHCP is running, no wifi SSID are visible, it looks like bricked router

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2024 1:16 pm

... it looks like bricked router
You need to use Netinstall to revert back to 7.13
Then all will be working again.

After having tried Netinstall many, MANY(!) times, it finally seemed to work.

After "sending offer", Netinstall finally started formatting the flash and uploaded the routeros.
Afterwards I still needed to upload the wireless package.
And then i had to restore the last running config from a backup file.

As a test, I tried upgrading again to 7.14, which resulted in the same issues.

So I finally got 7.13 working again with Netinstall and have decided to NOT upgrade my hAP ac2's anymore.
Unless Mikrotik comes up with a solution to this problem.

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:39 am

I just noticed Mikrotik released a new stable version 7.14.1 within 2 weeks of the 7.14 release.
I wonder why :-P

7.14 was released on Feb. 29th
7.14.1 was released on March 11th

---EDIT---
I also got a reply from Mikrotik Support.
There confirm there is a problem with Netinstall, which should be fixed in an upcoming release.
And they suggest upgrading to 7.14.1 via Netinstall.
Regarding the "Ready" message issue, we have replicated it in our labs. Our developers have already considered this issue, and it will be fixed in future releases, but unfortunately, I cannot share any ETA yet.

If the device becomes unresponsive, we recommend to install RouterOS 7.14.1 using the Netinstall utility. Please remember to include the wireless-7.14.1-arm.npk package during the installation.

ogggi
just joined

Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:25 pm

Hello,

I have maybe same problem with HAP ac2, but upgrade from 7.14 to 7.14.1. After download and reboot ,router not a start. After reboot all ethernet ports was off.
Only resetting the router helped. After reset router boot to 7.14 version. I have pasted the configuration and now everything is going.
So upgrading to 7.14.1 is only possible via netinstal?

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:14 pm

So upgrading to 7.14.1 is only possible via netinstal?
No, upgrading should work in the normal way.
But there seems to be a problem with 7.14 and maybe also with 7.14.1 when I read your post.

You could try installing 7.14.1 with Netinstall, but if a normal update doesn't work, I doubt installing via Netinstall will work too.

For me, updating from 7.13 to 7.14 the regular way, doesn't work and bricks my hAP ac2.
I also tried installing 7.14 via Netinstall, but that doesn't work either. The routers does nothing after a reboot.

I'm still gonna try to upgrade 7.13 to 7.14.1 the normal way.
If that doesn't work, I'll try a Netinstall for 7.14.1. But if that doesn't work either... I'm done with Mikrotik hAP ac2 updates.

nipfel
just joined

Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:31 pm

hAP ac RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT not working too with the same steps, preconditions and result. An infinite boot loop after upgrade to 7.14 from 7.13

Yesterday I setted up the device as a station while working on 7.13, got the Internet access and updated device to the 7.14.
So, now, after the upgrade (to 7.14) I have hAP ac RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT bricked by the update and nothing is able to see device alive, I tried:
- netinstall apps
- failsafe boot (with 300 sec of pressing)
- winbox neighbours
- backup boot loader (with 1-2 sec) of pressing

Who is that genius who pushed the update to the production? URL to the Linkedin profile, please?
And what is the workaround?

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:48 am

Yesterday I setted up the device as a station while working on 7.13, got the Internet access and updated device to the 7.14.
So, now, after the upgrade (to 7.14) I have hAP ac RB962UiGS-5HacT2HnT bricked by the update and nothing is able to see device alive, I tried:
Use the 7.13 Netinstall.
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 4-7.13.zip
With the 7.13 RouterOS
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 13-arm.npk
and add the Wireless package (if needed).
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... m-7.13.zip

Just follow this instruction.

However, you might need to try Netinstall several times, as there is a bug in Netinstall.
Follow the instructions, start Netinstall and plug in the power on the router while holding the res/wps button.
When the router becomes visible in Netinstall, release the button and follow the upgrade instructions.

However...
Netinstall will show it's "sending offer" to the router.
If Netinstall does NOT show it's formatting the flash on the router and then uploading the packages, it did not work and you have to close the Netinstall app, unplug the router, and then try again.
It took me about 20 times or so before Netinstall finally worked.
Last edited by Thasaidon on Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jaclaz
Long time Member
Long time Member

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:12 pm

Which is simply "crazy".
I have read somewhere on the forum reports that *for whatever reasons*:
1) Netinstall on Linux is mire reliable
2) adding a (dumb, common) switch between the PC and the device helps (possibly related to some form of timing problem)

Who is that genius who pushed the update to the production? URL to the Linkedin profile, please?
No individuals, Mikrotik are borg, resistance is futile, you will be assimilated :shock: .

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:41 pm

I have read somewhere on the forum reports that *for whatever reasons*:
1) Netinstall on Linux is mire reliable
2) adding a (dumb, common) switch between the PC and the device helps (possibly related to some form of timing problem)
My favorite is also Linux. I am keeping an over a decade old Dell laptop especially for that purpose.
It simply works.

Option 3:
container with netinstall.
Can be a welcome solution for remote locations where suitable HW is present ?

Been toying with it this weekend, container on AX3 with external USB, netinstalled several times mAP Lite, mAP and Hex using routeros, also wireless package where needed, with or without clearing of config.
All first time right once I got the initial environment parameters for that container correct.
Definitely one to put in the toolbox.
viewtopic.php?t=189485

I believe bpwl already played in the past with EOIP to netinstall remotely but especially on slow connections it could be a real challenge.

nipfel
just joined

Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:50 pm

Use the 7.13 Netinstall.
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 4-7.13.zip
With the 7.13 RouterOS
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... 13-arm.npk
and add the Wireless package (if needed).
https://download.mikrotik.com/routeros/ ... m-7.13.zip

Just follow this instruction.

However, you might need to try Netinstall several times, as there is a bug in Netinstall.
Follow the instructions, start Netinstall and plug in the power on the router while holding the res/wps button.
When the router becomes visible in Netinstall, release the button and follow the upgrade instructions.

However...
Netinstall will show it's "sending offer" to the router.
If Netinstall does NOT show it's formatting the flash on the router and then uploading the packages, it did not work and you have to close the Netinstall app, unplug the router, and then try again.
I used 7.14.1 with latest Netinstall. Was able to flash it from fifth try. It happened today half an hour ago.
All was good until I added Wireless package.
As per now - device bricked again. I think I'll buy the most expensive sprotas today to celebrate that.
Thank you for your help, Thasaidon.

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 19, 2024 9:21 am

I used 7.14.1 with latest Netinstall. Was able to flash it from fifth try. It happened today half an hour ago.
All was good until I added Wireless package.

Thank you for your help, Thasaidon.
That's what we are here for, to help each other by sharing our experience.
But your welcome. :D

As for the router...
If you do a regular update (both routeros and wireless package), the router bricks.
A netinstall of just routeros works fine.
Adding the wireless package again bricks the router...

There is one last thing you could try.
You used netinstall to install only routeros, but you can also select the wireless package.
That way netinstall will install them both for you on a clean formatted flash.

If that doesn't work, I suggest you open a support ticket with Mikrotik.
I did too.

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:20 am

About the problem with the upgrade from 7.13 to 7.14 on my hAP ac2's.

I have 3 of these devices.
Two of these won't upgrade from 7.13 to 7.14 (or 7.14.1) via the normal upgrade procedure in Winbox (routeros & wireless package)
The 3rd router upgraded just fine.

The difference?
The 1st two have a free space of 3% and 4% (after i did a reinstall of 7.13 with Netinstall)
The 3rd had 6% free with 7.13
All running routerOS & wireless package.

There are no other things such as config backups on the disks.
The only "folders" on the disk are flash and flash/skins

The two routers that won't upgrade have a serial-number starting with B4A00Axxxxxx
And a bridge MAC starting with 74:4D:28:xx:xx:xx

The one where it does work the serial-number starts with B4A00Cxxxxxx
And the bridge MAC starts with 48:8F:5A:xx:xx:xx

This difference is probably because I purchased the 3rd one some time later and comes from a newer batch, but this does not explain the difference in free space...
Apparently 2% or 3% more free space is crucial for an update in this case.

A Netinstall with only routerOS works. But as soon as I add the wireless package, the two older devices become unresponsive after a reboot.

nipfel
just joined

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:08 pm

I bought WoobM adapter today and finally were able to get into router's terminal via Wi-Fi.
Before, looks like, everything that got connected via the ethernet port caused boot loop. And it was some kind of a lottery to dive into netinstall's holy grail.

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:13 pm

So what do the logs show when you log in with via the WoobM?

nipfel
just joined

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:38 pm

In WoobM neighbours hap AC showed up as ipv4 client with zero Mac-address and zero IP-address.
The config were partially present: zero bridges, zero dhcp clients, both wireless ifaces were setted up as a station instead of one.
The logs that I saw contained nothing interesting.

Thasaidon
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 30, 2024 10:49 am

In order to replicate the problem for Mikrotik support, I used Winbox to go into System → Packages to check for updates and then upgrade.
Like I always do.

However, I noticed the latest version presented is now 7.14.2
So I performed the upgrade to this latest version.

I don’t know why, but this upgrade worked OK this time. So I decided to upgrade the 2nd router (with the same problem) also.
Now both device are running 7.14.2.

Personally I think the problem was the size of the packages.
(Both RouterOS and Wireless)
Because I noticed a significant increase in free space AFTER the upgrade.

When running 7.13, the devices reported 3% and 4% free space.
After the upgrade to 7.14.2, both devices report 5% free space.
So for 1 device this is a 2% increase!

So, upgrading to 7.14.2 works OK for me.
But I'm very curious as to what Mikrotik support has to say on this.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:31 pm

But I'm very curious as to what Mikrotik support has to say on this.

In release change logs for 7.14 MT repeatedly states that wireless package size got smaller.

The issue is that during ROS upgrade, storage usage is temporarily slightly increased and if storage is almost full before upgrade, the upgrade often fails. But if upgrade somehow manages to get through (like it did in your case with upgrading to 7.14.2), then upgraded device enjoys full benefits of the new version (in this case reduction of storage use).