MikroTik App

acmeastro
just joined
Topic Author

Configure 4011 in router mode and not bridge

Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:27 pm

Good afternoon,

I am trying to create a home lab setup.

I would like to connect the 4011RB to my internet router.
It should not conflict with the dhcp server running on the internet router. I was told I need to put the 4011rb into routing only mode (no bridge) but I am not sure how to do this.
I want the 4011 RB to have its own dhcp and dns providing a two dot domain name such as home.lab.com to my connnectd devices and dhcp to assign the IP automatically.
I need DNS for name resolution of services on the lab network.

I asked chatgpt and got this mess.

To convert a MikroTik device from bridge mode to router mode, you'll need to configure it to perform routing functions rather than just bridging traffic between interfaces. Here's a general guideline to do this:

Access the MikroTik Router: Connect to the MikroTik device via Winbox, SSH, or web interface using its IP address and login credentials.

Check Current Configuration: Before making any changes, it's a good idea to review the current configuration. Check if the device is configured as a bridge and which interfaces are involved.

Disable Bridge Configuration:

Go to the "Bridge" menu and delete the bridge configuration if it exists.
Remove interfaces from the bridge if they were previously added.
Set Up IP Addresses:

Assign IP addresses to each interface that you want to use for routing.
Go to the "IP" menu and configure IP addresses on the respective interfaces.
Enable IP Routing:

Go to the "IP" menu and select "Routes".
Add a default route pointing to the gateway of your network. Use the "Add" button and fill in the required fields.
Firewall Configuration:

Adjust firewall rules if necessary to allow traffic to pass through the router.
NAT Configuration (optional):

If you want to perform NAT (Network Address Translation), configure NAT rules accordingly in the "IP" menu.
DHCP Server Configuration (optional):

If you want your MikroTik device to act as a DHCP server, configure DHCP server settings in the "IP" menu.
DNS Configuration (optional):

Configure DNS settings if required in the "IP" menu.
Save Configuration: Once you have made all the necessary changes, don't forget to save the configuration by clicking on the "Save" button.

Obviously if you just remove the bridge you lose access to the ports.. So you have to wipe configuration. Is there a simple way to just configure it as a router? Why is this option not listed as a default in the quick set?

holvoetn
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configure 4011 in router mode and not bridge

Wed Mar 13, 2024 7:57 pm

Reset to default.
Then it should be configured as a router with WAN on ether1.

Our own tangent made a pretty nice write-up explaining all default settings and why they are used.
https://tangentsoft.com/mikrotik/wiki?n ... figuration