Community discussions

MikroTik App

ckonsultor
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

locked out after changing subnet of router

Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:21 am

In short, had trouble changing the subnet of a second MikroTik router in the network. The first uses the default subnet. With Safe Mode on the second router, it came back to default address after changing the DHCP server. Could get in again to manage it via WinBox. Rinse and repeat :-( Attached are my notes on what I did (in order) and the config file.
Then I thought I had succeeded because the router assigned the new subnet (..22. in my notes) to the PC running WinBox. But not completely good: neither WinBox nor a browser can access the router due to 'incorrect user name or password.' Went through the whole process again after resetting to factory default (admin/none) with the same result--locked out. I did change the users and passwords, deleting admin and creating two other sets of credentials, as backup for access. Not working for either user.
Would be great if you can spot an error in the config or my process.
Thanks in advance.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kevinds
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: locked out after changing subnet of router

Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:57 am

Would be great if you can spot an error in the config or my process.
Thanks in advance.
If you are changing the IP don't use safe-mode. When you change the IP address it is expected that you may be disconnected, safe-mode then reverts your changes.

You are better off connecting via the MAC address so you can make the changes you need and not have to worry about the IP change.

Setting a static IP on your computer will help too.