Community discussions

MikroTik App

mamalulu9
just joined
Topic Author

Fibre ISP - VLAN PPPoe configuration

Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:52 am

Hello,

I'm new here and wasn't sure in which section to post this so lemme know if this is the wrong section. My ISP just upgraded me to fiber so they replaced my old modem with a wifi router (Nokia Beacon 2). So my current setup is Fiber --> ONT (or whatever it's called) --> Nokia Beacon2 --> Microtik wired router (RB750Gr3). I would like to entirely bypass the Nokia router supplied by the ISP and directly connect the Microtik router. The main reasons are that currently the Microtik router port forwards port 8333 for bitcoin core and that stopped working when they installed the Nokia which seems hard to configure, and also that I'm a minimalist at heart and don't know what that router is doing.

Ive tried a few guides but most of the time they're on windows / winbox, while I'm on linux and don't have the knowledge to correctly apply the guides. Here's what my ISP - Ebox (Bell) in Quebec/Canada says I need to do :

The PPPoE connection information below is used to properly configure your router. If you are using the router provided to you, no configuration is required, as it is pre-configured and ready to use.

Any idea how I should proceed or is this too complicated of a task for a noob?

Thank you,
If you are using the router provided to you, no configuration is required, as it is pre-configured and ready to use.

If you are considering using your own router, you need to ensure that you make the necessary settings for the PPPoE username and password as well as VLAN information.

Please note that not all routers allow VLAN configuration in PPPoE.

To establish the connection, make sure that the PPPoE configuration is done using the VLAN ID 40 option. Additionally, if your router requires you to configure the MTU value, it must be set to 1492.

username : user123
password : password123

Any idea what must be done in routerOS or is this too advanced of a task for a newbie?

Thank you very much!

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Fibre ISP - VLAN PPPoe configuration

Mon Mar 18, 2024 1:49 pm

Probably something like, assuming connected on ether1

/interface vlan
add name=vlan40 interface=ether1 vlan-id=40

/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=vlan40 keepalive-timeout=10 \
name=pppoe-1 use-peer-dns=no user=username password=password

/interface list members
add interface=pppoe-1 list=WAN

mamalulu9
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Mar 22, 2024 2:49 pm

Probably something like, assuming connected on ether1

/interface vlan
add name=vlan40 interface=ether1 vlan-id=40

/interface pppoe-client
add add-default-route=yes interface=vlan40 keepalive-timeout=10 \
name=pppoe-1 use-peer-dns=no user=username password=password

/interface list members
add interface=pppoe-1 list=WAN
Thank you, that went further than I did previously, it said ''status: connected'' in PPPoE client screen, but I couldnt access any website ''DNS : ''this site can't be reached''. So I ticked Use Peer DNS = yes instead and that worked. Is that a potential problem? not sure how peer dns works.

Thanks,

anav
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 22, 2024 4:52 pm

No thats fine but you should probably post your config here to ensure its setup properly

/export file=anynameyouwish ( remove router serial number, any public WANIP information ( so public IP, public IP gateway, username and password )