Community discussions

MikroTik App

dvonk
just joined
Topic Author

bound client to specific AP by mac adress by CAPsMAN

Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:39 pm

Hi
Is there a way to make static bound of certain client to specific AP by it's mac address under CAPsMAN environment?

I have 3 AP in my home network, and I need some static clients like Apple TV box to connect best AP by signal level, but it doesn't work by default. I think that they connect to the first available AP during CAPsMAN start up, so the access list is not a solution, cause the APs appear in the unpredictable order each time

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: bound client to specific AP by mac adress by CAPsMAN

Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:55 pm

No, you can't do that.

What you can do is to nake cAP-specific SSID and then configure those clients to connect to appropriate SSID.

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:39 am

No, you can't do that.

What you can do is to nake cAP-specific SSID and then configure those clients to connect to appropriate SSID.
Couldn't you use the ACL in caps-man and allow it on the cap you wanna allow. Then put a rule right after that to deny it from any interface.

dvonk
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:45 pm

Couldn't you use the ACL in caps-man and allow it on the cap you wanna allow. Then put a rule right after that to deny it from any interface.
I can't, as I've told before. There is no way to control an order of CAPs registration by CAPsMAN, so what is cap1 and cap2 next router reboot can became cap3 and cap4, so the access list is unusable this way.

dvonk
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 12:54 pm

I can't figure out how to set the wi-fi channel ((
There is no this option at all. Configuration, security, datapath - all is accessible, but there is no "channel".

ips
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:07 pm

The suggestion, as fas as I understand, is to provision a separate slave configuration with a different SSID to the AP you want to use (e.g., SSID: "wifiForAppleTV" for the AP closest to that device) and then configure your AppleTV to connect to that device.
It is, indeed, what I do in my case: I have a common SSID and then also a specific SSID for each AP. If I want to roam, I configure the common SSID on the device, if I want to stick to a particular AP, I configure the specific SSID on the device.

dvonk
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:02 pm

The suggestion, as fas as I understand, is to provision a separate slave configuration with a different SSID to the AP you want to use (e.g., SSID: "wifiForAppleTV" for the AP closest to that device) and then configure your AppleTV to connect to that device.
It is, indeed, what I do in my case: I have a common SSID and then also a specific SSID for each AP. If I want to roam, I configure the common SSID on the device, if I want to stick to a particular AP, I configure the specific SSID on the device.
Yes, that is exactly what I try to do. Could you please direct me to some sort of guide how to set up these specific SSID for each AP? I've stuck with configuration of this

ips
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:28 pm

Details depends on device, version, and generation of wifi interface.
Basically, add a provisioning rule specific for each AP with a configuration specific for each AP and restricting the radio-mac.
See, for example, viewtopic.php?t=193963

dvonk
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Mar 21, 2024 3:48 pm

Details depends on device, version, and generation of wifi interface.
Basically, add a provisioning rule specific for each AP with a configuration specific for each AP and restricting the radio-mac.
See, for example, viewtopic.php?t=193963
Thank you. I've changed the "name format" from "cap" to "identity" in provisioning settings and now I can make the access list much more stable.
I think it's more consistent way to maintain all of this than to have specific configs for specific APs.
Thank's a lot one more time!

gotsprings
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Mar 22, 2024 3:21 am

I can't, as I've told before. There is no way to control an order of CAPs registration by CAPsMAN, so what is cap1 and cap2 next router reboot can became cap3 and cap4, so the access list is unusable this way.
Create enable

With that setting I could name the CAPs.

That would allow the access list to be setup the way I am thinking.