Community discussions

MikroTik App

Hellothere
just joined
Topic Author

Configurate as Bridge

Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:46 pm

Hello guys,

i want to configurate my router as a bridge with the following commands (these are necessary because its for learning purposes). First /system reset-configuration no-defaults=yes. After the i set an static ip address : /ip address add address=192.168.88.1/24 interface=ether2. But after that i cant connect via ssh to the Mikrotik. Ive connected to lan 2(ether2). ssh admin@192.168.88.1

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configurate as Bridge

Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:41 pm

Your approach is wrong here, first you need to specify what do you want from the device ? Do you want plain switch ? VLANs ?

Check if SSH is enabled when default configuration is not applied.

Did you set static IP on your network card ?

Hellothere
just joined
Topic Author

Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:28 pm

Your approach is wrong here, first you need to specify what do you want from the device ? Do you want plain switch ? VLANs ?

Check if SSH is enabled when default configuration is not applied.

Did you set static IP on your network card ?
Oh, i am sry for setting this wrong. I want to configure a plain switch. You were right, I forgot to set the ip address of the interface which connected my laptop to the mikrotik to a ip adress in the subnet. Now it works. Thank you.

gigabyte091
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:58 pm

Okay, so if you want to use device as plain switch then correct way to do this is to create a new bridge, add all interfaces to the newly created bridge and enable dhcp client on bridge interface.

That way your switch will receive IP address from DHCP server. Or you can assing IP address to the bridge interface manually.

Option is to leave one interface off bridge and assign IP address to that interface as well. That way you have safe way to play with configuration without fear of locking yourself out.