Community discussions

MikroTik App

tjr
just joined
Topic Author

IEEE 1588 More in depth documentation

Tue Mar 26, 2024 7:34 pm

I'm looking for more detailed documentation on IEEE 1588 than what is provided here https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... e+Protocol

I have a relatively simple PTP network that I'm trying to set up and I have a single master clock that is updating it's time from GPS and two slave devices that should be syncing their time with the master clock. A lot of the time it works fine, but I'm having issues with the slave devices taking a long time to update and sync with the master clock on the order of minutes. After I have a sync, things seem to be stable for awhile, but randomly the slave clocks appear to lose their synchronization and are seconds out of sync with the GPS instead of the expected microseconds or less.

I have a CRS328-24P-4S+R and I've set up the PTP profiles as best as I know how with the documentation provided, but I'm confused by the information given there.
PTP_status.png
ether3 and ether23 are where the slave devices are connected, so I'm confused why the state is listed as "master" unless the state here is referring to the switch itself and on those ports it's acting as master for the two slave devices?

ether24 is where the master clock is connected and the state is listed as uncalibrated which I'm not sure what that means if that is normal and expected or if I should be seeing something different there.

I've run Wireshark on the connection and I'm getting PTPv2 messages from all 4 devices including the switch itself. Attached is a short sampling of just the PTPv2 messages
ptp_filtered.zip
192.168.1.11 and 192.168.1.12 are the slave devices and 192.168.1.5 is the master clock 192.168.88.1 is the switch.

I'm just trying to figure out if I have things configured correctly in the switch and if I can debug things to figure out if it's a problem with my master clock or if it's a problem with the slave devices. Any additional information would be helpful thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tiz47
just joined

Re: IEEE 1588 More in depth documentation

Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:40 pm

Hi, which version of routerOS are you using? in version 7.14 of routeros there have been numerous fixes.
Master state means the switch is acting as master clock for those ports; the port connected to the gps should be stated as slave (uncalibrated was with ros <7.14)
How did you configure the switch?

tjr
just joined
Topic Author

Re: IEEE 1588 More in depth documentation

Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:01 am

I had 7.13 and I upgraded to 7.14

Instead of saying uncalibrated it says slave like you mentioned, and metrics are being reported for the ptp profile.

I'm running the default profile with auto settings for everything
ptp profile.png
Based on what you are saying, I think everything is running as expected. I had the time drift happen again today where the data collected looked like it was out of phase by about 2 seconds, and while it was out of phase I recorded ptp messages in wireshark and it looks identical to the messages when it is in phase. I restarted the slave devices and kept the ptp master clock running and after restarting those devices everything was back in phase, so I think it's a problem with the slave devices and the timestamps on the collected data seems to be getting out of sync with the ptp time that is being tracked in the device. I'll have to put in a support ticket with them to see if I can make any more progress that way.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.