Community discussions

MikroTik App

arsci
just joined
Topic Author

Help setting up a wireless bridge with hap lite

Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:24 pm

Hello, I'm working on trying to set up a wireless network bridge between a vehicle and my home network. We have a van that has some cameras installed and when it's parked at the house charging, we'd like to be able to access the cameras that are on board over the home network.

For the home network I have a Ubiquiti system setup with a bunch of APs around the house. The home network is a 10.5.0.0/17

In the van I have a Mikrotik hap lite router that operates internally connecting the cameras and a small raspberrypi with some sensors. It has no external internet access (other than hopefully the bridge I'm trying to set up). Devices connect to the mikrotik router wirelessly and over ethernet, with the WAN port connected to the bridge router. My thought was to have the van network be 10.5.128.0/17 as to not overlap with the home network, and I set it up from the quick set config in the hap lite webfig. Other than setting the IP range for dhcp and the wifi password, the hap lite is configured with out of the box default settings.

For the wireless bridge, I'm using a TP-Link Archer C50 (right now just to see if I can get this to work, I may use another mikrotik hap lite instead of the tplink once I install this in the van). I configured it for WDS bridging (using this guide: https://www.tp-link.com/us/support/faq/1083/). With this setup, I'm able to see devices connected to the TP-Link router bridged into the unifi network as if they were local. All working as expected, I see the Mikrotik router show up, and is assigned an IP of 10.5.3.38 (which I set as a static IP in unifi so it doesn't change).

Devices connected to the miktrotik router can reach out to the internet through the unifi home network with no problem. I can ping devices within the unifi network as well. This all works as expected.

What I cannot get working, is the ability to reach devices from the home unifi network to devices behind the miktrotik router. My home laptop on the unifi network can't reach the cameras or the rpi, even though the rpi can reach my home laptop if it initiates the connection. I'm not really sure where to start troubleshooting this, I'm not very familiar with the mikrotik routers so I've been playing a guessing game with the config with no luck so far. I tried setting a static route in unifi to forward 10.5.128.0/17 traffic to the mikrotik router at 10.5.3.38, but this didn't change anything. From the unifi network I can still reach devices directly connected to the bridge (I can ping the mikrotik with no issue), I just can't reach devices behind it. My gut says I have the mikrotik misconfigured in some way, but any help would be appreciated!

Here's a quick diagram if it helps!
Screen Shot 2024-04-02 at 10.15.23 AM.png
And the mikrotik config
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.