Community discussions

MikroTik App

kirk79
just joined
Topic Author

Starlink Chateau LTE18 AX NO Internet

Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:46 am

Starlink 2nd Generation modem/router in bypass mode and Chateau LTE18 AX. Computer can see Chateau LTE 18 AX: however, no internet connection through ethernet ports. WIFI works, but slowly. Any idea what setting, or settings are causing issues? I have been troubleshooting for days. I have an Audience router from MikroTik hooked up to Starlink Generation 2 modem/router to verify there is nothing wrong with the Starlink connection. That is working well. I assume I am missing a setting somewhere. Would you guys say the router is defective? Thank you.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: Starlink Chateau LTE18 AX NO Internet

Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:50 am

Chateau LTE is a device that is configured to use LTE out of the box. You would need to reconfigure the device to use internet from one of the Ethernet ports, or better yet, change device to an appropriate model. This device you have is very expensive mostly due to LTE modem. If you will not use it, there are much cheaper devices available

kirk79
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 11, 2024 10:13 pm

Thank you for your response. I have an audience mesh router that works good with Starlink. I was hoping to upgrade to wifi 6 and 6e. What product would you recommend if any? Thank you.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Apr 11, 2024 11:09 pm

@normis has a point: most of the cost on Chateau LTE18 is for the LTE modem. So if LTE is not needed, it's not a great choice.
e.g. while starlink is within its routing abilities, it's not a powerful router. A hAPax3 is more powerful router, and has more internal storage, if no LTE is needed.

Although Mikrotik does offer QuickSet profiles to convert the config, so it's not hard to use Chateau with Starlink or WAN.

So assuming it the defaults, you should be able to use QuickSet to switch it's mode.
1. Go to QuickSet in webfig or winbox.
2. In the upper-left of QuickSet, there should be an option for "Home AP Dual", select that, and it with migrate the default to have ether1 be a WAN.
3. Make sure the "Firewall Router" box is checked under "internet" and should show the starlink address above that assuming ether1 goes to starlink
4. Under "Local Network", check at "DHCP Server" and "NAT" checkboxes
5. Verify the IP Address is 192.168.88.1 (or whatever subnet you'd like) and the DHCP range matches that subnet (so 192.168.88.100-192.168.88.199 or something).
6. Optionally, check uPnP if you have gamers or VoIP.
7. Hit OK in QuickSet

Now it's possible the Chateau LTE18 does not have the "QuickSet" profile for "Home AP Dual". If not, you need to:
1. remove ether1 from /interface/bridge/port
2. add ether1 as WAN under /interface/list
3. in /ip/dhcp-client, add a new one with interface of ether1, defaults should be fine
4. at this point the ether1/starlink will have priority for WAN & if you UNPLUG ether1, it will use LTE
5. If using LTE and want that as a backup if starlink is down. set the a script= the /ip/dhcp-client for ether1 to add a ping check to the default gateway (so that if starlink gateway is not pingable, LTE will be used):
/ip dhcp-client set [find interface=ether1] add-default-route=no script=":if (\$bound=1) do={/ip route add check-gateway=ping comment=starlink gateway=\$\"gateway-address\"} else={/ip route remove [find comment=starlink]}"

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:09 am

e.g. while starlink is within its routing abilities, it's not a powerful router. A hAPax3 is more powerful router, and has more internal storage, if no LTE is needed.
Chateau LTE18 AX and HAP ax3 basically share the same hardware specs (CPU, switch, wifi chipset, flash, ram). Chateau has a LTE modem. I don't know how more powerful the ax3 could be in which regards? routing especially.

Amm0
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:11 am

Your right. I get confused on the Chateau, most are 16MB storage. And I kinda assumed @normis has some reason for his comments however ;)

kirk79
just joined
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:13 pm

Thank you everybody for all your help. I appreciate it a lot. Everything is working perfectly.

Thanks,

Kirk

infabo
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:13 pm

Your right. I get confused on the Chateau, most are 16MB storage. And I kinda assumed @normis has some reason for his comments however ;)
Yes, his point: if you don't need the LTE modem - then don't spend 2,5x price of a HAP ax3 for a Chateau LTE18 AX. 😐