Community discussions

MikroTik App

SMARTNETTT
just joined
Topic Author

fasttrack x86

Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:41 pm

fasttrack conection work in x86 ? yes or not, Mikrotik Know this ?????

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: fasttrack x86

Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm

Mikrotik Know this ?????
I bet they know this. But this is an user-to-user forum, so you have to ask MT directly, e.g. by sending them e-mail to support@mikrotik.com .

seriquiti
just joined

Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:26 pm

If you think about what Fasttrack does you will know the answer.

Fasttrack HW-Offloads established connections to the switch-chip, these packets are thereby accelerated by not having to be processed by the CPU. X86 is CPU only - there is no switch chip to offload to. There are specialized hardware that can be installed on x86 systems that can flow-offload but as far as I know they all require their own software and will probably not work with routing software like Router OS for the foreseeable future.

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:38 pm

Fasttrack HW-Offloads established connections to the switch-chip,

Wrong. It's one of possibilities, but (currently) it's a niche use.

Fasttrack was available way before first devices with L3HW offload came to life. The old fasttrack manual page describes its behaviour nicely. The new help system doesn't have dedicated page for fasttrack, it's mentioned in fastpath section of packet flow article.

In short: fasttrack allows packets to skip most of packet processing. As to details which parts of packet processing are done with fasttrack enabled it's Mikrotik to explain. Also particular cases where fasttrack works are MT's knowledge.

Personally I don't see any reason for fasttrack not to work on x86. But, as I wrote in my previous psot, it's MT to tell the truth about it.

seriquiti
just joined

Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:53 pm

I stand corrected. Good to know what actually happens on fasttracked connections.

https://help.mikrotik.com/docs/display/ ... -FastTrack

Describes it pretty well - yea, only mikrotik can answer that then.