Community discussions

MikroTik App

SiteDiscovery
just joined
Topic Author

Winbox: Could Not get Index: Fatal error

Thu May 29, 2008 5:15 am

When I try to connect to my RB500 from the public internet using the external IP of the box, it will not connect. I get the "Could not get index: Fatal error!" message.
I cannot use Winbox, SSH,FTP,Telnet, or the RB500 Website from the public internet (64.207.55.195). I can use all of these services from the internal net and internal wireless net just fine.

I have an internal net of 10.5.50.0/24 on the WLAN1 interface
I have an internal net of 192.168.4.0/24 on ETHER3
I have an internet address of 64.207.55.195/25 on ETHER1

Access to the internet works fine. I have added a NAT rule that allows me to access my server via RDP at 192.168.4.21. That works fine. I have been accessing the RB500 from the internal server at 192.168.4.21. It seems to work fine. Its just a pain in the butt to always need to log into my internal server to access the RB500.

Any ideas? Do I need to create a filter rule to allow access to the RB500 from outside?

RB532 Running RouterOS 3.10

Thanks!!

Enio
just joined

Re: Winbox: Could Not get Index: Fatal error

Thu May 29, 2008 2:06 pm

For the record: we ran into the same issue last week.

After physically disconneting the cable to the internet and reconnecting the problem dispeared.

We also changed the ether IP address and the port itself with no result. Curiously enough, with an invalid IP, it worked but not with a valid one.

(And before we tried to reboot but did not work).

Hope it helps.

macgaiver
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu May 29, 2008 3:02 pm

I also had similar problems, but as far as I found out it is PC (windows) based not RouterOS.

Sourour
just joined

Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:33 am

Try to connect to webbox....

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:59 am

Try to connect to webbox....
webbox doesn't provide the same functionality as winbox, I suggest using PUTTY and SSH as an alternative to Winbox.

JJX
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:43 pm

I face the same problem with a mikrotik rb433ah, running version 3.28

I can connect from several locations without problem. However, from a specific range (and not only a single host) i get the error "could not get index: fatal error"

What i have tried:

- Winbox update: both version (2.2.15 and 2.2.13) fail
- IP > Services: no ip range for winbox is defined. (0.0.0.0/0 = all). There is no change after setting to "10.0.0.0/8"
- Reboot didnt solve the problem
- I can telnet without problem to port 8291 , from the same same PC i cant connect using winbox.
- deleting winbox settings didnt solve the problem

Any idea what else i can try?
Thank you

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Aug 20, 2009 2:02 pm

try from another PC, sometimes there is some problem in Windows security center, or ethernet driver.

sclemens
just joined

Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:02 pm

I saw this post, and wanted to show how I fixed the problem.

I inherited a number of Mikrotik routers in my job, and was trying to setup a test lab. 2 of the boxes had the error, the other two did not.

I found the solution under IP --> Services. You will find that all of your active services are listed, with the netblock that those services are available from. The two boxes that I was failing with were restricted to a netblock that my test lab is not a part of. Once I opened those services up to 0.0.0.0/0, I had full access again.

Anyhow, it looks like this mirrors what you're seeing. I am not recommending opening all services wide like I did, but you should be able to at least make it function for all of the netblocks you are using.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for sharing yet another solution!

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:31 pm

This solution didn't work for me.

The RB is a 133C3 with RouterOS 3.28, firmware 2.18. Packages = advanced-tools, ntp, security, wireless, ppp, system and routerboard. System check-packages shows no problems. IP > services all 0.0.0.0/0 and only api is disabled.

I can Winbox into other RBs on the same network but not this one, getting the "Could not get index. Fatal error." message. Nor can I Webbox into it. I can Telnet into the box and traceroutes and pings into the box and out of it work perfectly well.

Disturbingly the customer has been complaining that he can browse but YouTube videos won't work on his PC. I can't find any problems with firewalls, Flash, Java or pop-up blockers and am mystified.

kurei
just joined

Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:22 am

How about set your IP Add and connect using IP .Not connect using mac ..... :wink:

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Sep 25, 2009 6:42 am

Connecting via IP is the problem. I haven't tried to connect via MAC as it's seven hops away.

I can Winbox successfully to other boxes on the same AP and subnet so it's not a routing problem.

rarbolay
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:33 am

I get the error failure to load roteos.dll over winbox. This is anever used Routerboard. Whats going on?

kurei
just joined

Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:55 am

if you use windows, make sure your OS free for viruses, worm and trojan.
if you use linux, try to load winbox using wine via terminal.

simon021
just joined

Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:47 pm

Is there a resolution to this? I'm getting the same error, from any PC i try to connect via IP to my mikrotik. Any suggestions?One minute I could connect, the next minute I got this error.

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:50 am

did you try any of the above solutions??

birendersinghbudhwar
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:24 am

did you try any of the above solutions??
Hi normis..,

i also have the same prob...

eather1 is connect to public ip xx.xx.xx.xx/27

and router stop responding after few hours like it runs fine around 1 or 2 hours and then its shop responding.

i am not able to connect with winbox but when i unplug the cable from eather1 which is eather1 public ip cable then it start working... is these any kind of port freezing issue...

when when we login with winbox from nat based ip to hotspot with wireless 10.2.50.xx series after login ip-routes default route is showing reachable but users didn't get the internet.

My router is RB433AH

regards,

Birender

simon021
just joined

Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:27 am

Somehow my allowed networks for winbox got set to 0.0.0.0/24 instead of 0.0.0.0/0 as I had it at the time. Not many IPs that can access it from 0.0.0.0/24 eh? I had to use the serial cable to get in and change that. I have no idea how it got changed. Probably when I was disabling services.
Thanks for the timely reply!

the0siris
just joined

Sun Feb 28, 2010 1:27 pm

I'm Using RB433AH ...
Facing the same problem, could not connect Router via winbox on remote place/IP (could not get index : fatal error) although it was connected the day before, but after searching answers I finally found what's the problem ...
- I have to reset the ADSL router (on remote location which winbox is use) .. then it connected .. -
I guess is some port freezeing or something ...

My config :
- ether1 is public 192.168.1.18/29
- PPPOe interface at public has IP Private 110.xxx.67.xxx
- Wlan using 10.10.22.1/27 for hotspot

- Connect using winbox from remote place using IP private 110.xxx.68.xxx

Thanx guys for providing the answers !!!!!

albaboi20
just joined

Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:10 am

I am also having this problem since we changed the provider Company. Actually i work for a ISP here. So the thing is that we used to have access on each place we got the AP's but since we changed the internet provider i can't have access to any AP. Well i can ping them i have the routes ok and nothing is changed so i don't know how to fix this problem any1 to help here ?

andrescamino
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:49 am

Hello to all,

I am facing the same problem and my situation is a bit different
I have a mikrotik that has the public ip, and that is the one I can get, then i have another mikrotik in the private network

the one who has the public ip has also a private ip in another interface and is making nat masquerading
I also have another nat rule
 ip firewall nat add chain=dstnat protocol=tcp dst-port=8292 action=dst-nat to-addresses=192.168.10.2 to-ports=8291

and when i go to winbox and write
ip public:8292
username:.....
password:.....

I get the error..and all of ther service are with 0.0.0.0/0 what could be the problem??

tks for your responses

berlyn

Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:51 am

getting same problem

saintofinternet
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for sharing yet another solution!

go to the Windows Command Prompt ==> C:\>

and enter the following command ===> ipconfig /flushdns

you should get immediate access.

shiasi
just joined

Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:29 am

does anybody try to use a pptp server/client to connect more secure to MT and winbox without problem?

tombrdfrd66
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:06 pm

Three-plus years after first posting to this thread I have the problem again - on an RB532A running RouterOS v5.8

I can say the problem is nothing to do with Windows as I can Winbox through this router to Mikrotiks on the subnet behind it. I can ping the wireless interface and Telnet to it but any attempt to Winbox to it brings up the "Could not get index. Fatal error", message. Attempting to Webbox to the router with this address causes a "The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading" error message.

However both Winbox and Webbox will work normally to the wireless interface/ip address on the 'far' side of the router, even passing through the router to get there, and once in by this method I can find absolutely no problem with its configuration - and indeed it is functioning perfectly well.

(ie Me (10.1.0.10/24)<>(10.1.0.1/24)Dodgy Router(10.1.1.1/24)<>10.1.1.0/24 = Me Winboxing to 10.1.0.1 just seems to hang. Me Win/Webboxing to 10.1.1.1 works normally.)

As the interface is the functioning gateway to the 10.1.1.0/24 network I assume it's working OK at the IP level, and it responds to pings and traceroute. There's nothing in firewall blocking ports 80 or 8291, services are OK.

I have absolutely no idea what is going on, and that worries me. Can anyone shed any light on this/suggest any further diagnostics?

ses
just joined

Tue May 07, 2013 7:04 pm

Guys, any updates. I have the same problem :-x

alfamale
just joined

Tue Sep 03, 2013 7:15 pm

:wink: Had the same problem, very annoying.. If you change the default Winbox port 8291 to something else in ip/services. you should then be able to access via Winbox with wan ip address & port number.

techguy79
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:23 am

I'm hoping this will help others with this problem.
Today I had my laptop internet go out while connected to our office Mikrotik (RB450G running ROS5.25)via winbox it closed my connection to the mikrotik obviously.
I ended up unplugging then replugging my laptops network cable and my internet came back up. then upon attempting to reconnect to our office Mikrotik via the Primary WAN IP(force of habit) I received the same error message Winbox: Could Not get Index: Fatal error.
After scratching my head for a bit I tried logging into the same Mikrotik via its private ip address(default gateway for my laptop's lan) this worked without issue, Our Mikrotik also has a secondary Public Ip on a different providers circuit for failover I was able to connect to it by this IP address as well. Another test I did was I tested logging into winbox from several other internal network pc's and a few outside computers utilizing the same primary WAN public ip that stopped responding to my winbox connection attempts, all of these other devices had the same exact error so I knew it wasn't specific to my laptop.

Still not able to connect to the device by its Primary WAN ip i reenabled the www service and tried loading webbox on the Primary Public ip , it loaded and I simply deleted my old winbox shortcut on my laptop and downloaded from the router's webbox interface a new winbox executable, and was able to connect via winbox to the Primary WAN's public ip I previously was having the issue connecting to, after I was able to connect to the primary WAN's public ip address using my new winbox executable all the other devices i previously tested with were able to login without the error.... by far the strangest thing I've ever seen.

Sorry about the lengthy post however I wanted to see all I went through with this situation.

It

Onix
just joined

Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:18 am

Hi!
The same problem! Done all what is in post! Nothing is helping!
In begingin try to restart router, it worked! But now even restart wont work!!
Any ideas! Mikrotik boys??? It is real problem my 500pc is sitting on router what i cant normaly administrate!!

LeoCombes
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:24 pm

I have the same problem, any updates?

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:31 am

Do you have the same on a different PC with different OS?

dadaniel
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:42 am

I have also had this problem one time, it was caused by a ssh port forward to an internal linux machine.

zatarra
just joined

Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:28 am

Same Problem!!!
I am using RouterOS in a PC pentium 4 and 384 ram
when i was trying to connect by ip appear this message: "Could not fetch index from 10.0.0.1:80: Bad Gateway
and when i was trying with mac, this message: Could not connect to xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx (port 20561) - time out!

LP006688
just joined

Thu Oct 18, 2018 6:39 pm

Sorry for summoning the dead :)

The solution to the problem -- using winbox.exe that comes with a RouterOS in question. The reason is version incompatibility.