Community discussions

MikroTik App

dionut
just joined
Topic Author

Bandwidth management with pppoe, htb and radius

Wed Oct 12, 2005 6:28 pm

Hello,

I curently use a linux based pppoe access concentrator and with this solution I can shape users bandwidth in 2 categories (Internet and intranet) based on HTB. The HTB classes and filters are dinamically loaded on user login by using a set of radius attributes and a script embedded in pppd (more precise as a ppp module). With MT is that posibly ?

rastod
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Oct 13, 2005 9:59 pm

Yes, it is possible. Just use Filter-Id attribute, it creates dynamic rule that jums into chain named by Filter-Id value. Then I collect SRC address list of that connection and according to Address-list I can mangle, I can create Queue-tree etc. If you have any better idea how to do this on Mikrotik, please let me know.

dionut
just joined
Topic Author

Hi

Fri Oct 14, 2005 12:57 pm

Hi,

Thank you for the response. It is an interesting approach, but I need the HTB classes to be created dynamically because of different classes parameters (hour of login, user class, user traffic on that month etc...). Right now I think of replacing the radius dictionary to add a new set of attributes and try to replace the pppd daemon to work with my plugin. I think that is a more simple approach, but on the other hand maybe is better to work with linux.... it is more flexible.

Hellbound
Long time Member
Long time Member

Sat Oct 15, 2005 3:44 am

Yes, it is possible. Just use Filter-Id attribute, it creates dynamic rule that jums into chain named by Filter-Id value. Then I collect SRC address list of that connection and according to Address-list I can mangle, I can create Queue-tree etc. If you have any better idea how to do this on Mikrotik, please let me know.
I'm very interested for this idea, can you give me an example for configuration? can we define things more than que or bandwidth like blocking certain ports or certain website (using transparent proxy)?

thanks