Community discussions

MikroTik App

pacoss
Topic Author

Need help with a 100 clients network

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:29 pm

I have recently taken over a network built with mikrotik completely.

I've noticed irregular pings times, some loosed packets, ... and specially that some nodes are configured differently while doing the same job.

The scenario is quite simple:

Internet is transmitted through a dedicated bridge to the switcher of the first tower. It has a mikrotik-3 radios-sectorial antennas, mikrotik with omni antenna and a couple of dedicated links (mikrotiks in a 19dbi in-a-box in both sides).
From the 1st tower, another dedicated bridge connect the switcher to the 2nd tower with the same sectorials configuration.

All the trafic start/end in a linux-PC, 2 network cards (wan/lan) with a commercial solution software doing proxy, bandwidth and access control, located in first tower.

I found that one bridge is configured as bridgeap+station, the other one has a strange "stating wds" config , another is in bridge mode but wds, wlan1 and ethernet in the bridge, ...

I know a lot of network teory and very experienced in linux and iptables, but that's my first contact with mikrotik router os and routerboard hardware, so I would ask you, people more experienced that me, a couple of simply questions:

- Best config for a pair of mikrotiks to do a dedicated (transparent, no firewall, no routing) bridge. Nstreme avalaible.
- Best config for a sectorial station (ap bridged?) with all the clients in station mode.
- Any special tunning for the bridge transmitting the inet access? (cable-modem, fixed ip, 1500 MTU, 50 mbits)

Thanks in advance.
Kind regards.

Egate
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Need help with a 100 clients network

Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:25 pm

Best config for a pair of mikrotiks to do a dedicated (transparent, no firewall, no routing) bridge. Nstreme avalaible.

WDS bridge with your lan.
Best config for a sectorial station (ap bridged?) with all the clients in station mode.
Tis is exactley right. AP bridge and clients station.

Any special tunning for the bridge transmitting the inet access? (cable-modem, fixed ip, 1500 MTU, 50 mbits)
Depends on how you access inet, but MT does a descend job of detecting MTU on PPPoE.