RB951-2n and Metal now shipping
Hardware talk

70 posts   •   Page 1 of 2   •   1, 2
User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Thu May 24, 2012 11:58 am

RB951-2n and RouterBOARD Metal now shipping to your nearest distributor:

http://routerboard.com/RB951-2n (list price 45$)
http://routerboard.com/RBMetal5SHPn (list price 99$)

The RB951-2n is the home wireless AP you have been waiting for. It has five Ethernet ports and a 802.11b/g/n wireless AP with an antenna built in.
Image

The new, completely waterproof, rugged, and super high powered RouterBOARD Metal. The serious outdoor wireless device. 5GHz 802.11a/n and 1.3W output power
Image

Contact any distributors for more details about availability: http://www.mikrotik.com/buy
No answer to your question? How to write posts

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by rviteri » Thu May 24, 2012 12:13 pm

Is the 1.5dBi antenna gain on the RB951-2n enough? I think most SOHO routers have a 5 dBi gain.

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Thu May 24, 2012 12:53 pm

rviteri wrote:Is the 1.5dBi antenna gain on the RB951-2n enough? I think most SOHO routers have a 5 dBi gain.


It works very good even in larger apartments/houses.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

User avatar
honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by honzam » Thu May 24, 2012 2:14 pm

normis wrote:RouterBOARD Metal

Output power is very good. In most countries it is necessary to comply with the allowable output power.
Unfortunately input Rx sensitivity is the same as the Groove.
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator based on ROS. If the post helped, give Karma...

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Thu May 24, 2012 2:21 pm

RouterOS allows you to set country, and it will apply regulations. You can also reduce power to acceptable level if you need to.

Also - The RB Metal is CE and FCC certified.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

User avatar
honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by honzam » Thu May 24, 2012 3:14 pm

normis wrote:RouterOS allows you to set country, and it will apply regulations. You can also reduce power to acceptable level if you need to.
Also - The RB Metal is CE and FCC certified.


Ok. You wrote so http://routerboard.com/R5SHPn
we can sell R5SHPn only to countries outside European Union. And RB METAL will be sold where? Thanks
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator based on ROS. If the post helped, give Karma...

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Thu May 24, 2012 4:02 pm

honzam wrote:
normis wrote:RouterOS allows you to set country, and it will apply regulations. You can also reduce power to acceptable level if you need to.
Also - The RB Metal is CE and FCC certified.


Ok. You wrote so http://routerboard.com/R5SHPn
we can sell R5SHPn only to countries outside European Union. And RB METAL will be sold where? Thanks


No, R5SHPn card doesn't have CE. RB Metal has CE. That's a big difference. So RB Metal you will be able to sell in EU
No answer to your question? How to write posts

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by rviteri » Thu May 24, 2012 5:38 pm

normis wrote:
rviteri wrote:Is the 1.5dBi antenna gain on the RB951-2n enough? I think most SOHO routers have a 5 dBi gain.


It works very good even in larger apartments/houses.


The RB751U-2HnD says it has 2x2 MIMO PIF antennas, max gain 2.5dBi. It virtually has no gain in my setup and I used it in a SOHO environment. Is this new RB951-2n better or worst?

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Thu May 24, 2012 8:36 pm

RB751U is more expensive, larger and has more output power.
RB951-2n is smaller, less expensive and has less output power.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

User avatar
ohara
Member
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 pm
Location: Warsaw

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by ohara » Fri May 25, 2012 12:26 am

Hi, I know about PoE power output in RB750UP, but does the single PoE port in RB951-2n have power output also? Thanks.

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by mtmx80 » Fri May 25, 2012 2:38 am

normis wrote:RB751U is more expensive, larger and has more output power.
RB951-2n is smaller, less expensive and has less output power.


Why RB951-2n naming? Is it a new CPU or completely new model? I would give it RB751L-2n or something like that.
RB751U/G doesn't works stable for me. Its' wireless performance is not (so) good compared to other SOHO wireless routers. So I don't know who is the target for this new device. Other SOHO router manufacturers has several 3x3 MIMO devices with 3 external antennas in $40-$100 range; more expensive ones comes with dual band support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I would be happy to see something similar from MikroTik. I would probably buy one of these 3x3 MIMO + external ant routers... but that RB951-2n is something I can't trust. - not because it's bad, but due to bad experiences with 751U-2HnD.

Note: I'm still waiting for RB2011 with wireless. It would be nice to add third antenna and chain to that one. :)

jdevora
just joined
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:18 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by jdevora » Fri May 25, 2012 3:21 am

Any plans for make a g version of the Metal?

Looks like an ideal device for create a public AP and give access directly to the users (without CPE) but for that, it needs to be able to work in 2.4

Cheers
JD

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by rviteri » Fri May 25, 2012 6:41 am

mtmx80 wrote:
normis wrote:RB751U is more expensive, larger and has more output power.
RB951-2n is smaller, less expensive and has less output power.


Why RB951-2n naming? Is it a new CPU or completely new model? I would give it RB751L-2n or something like that.
RB751U/G doesn't works stable for me. Its' wireless performance is not (so) good compared to other SOHO wireless routers. So I don't know who is the target for this new device. Other SOHO router manufacturers has several 3x3 MIMO devices with 3 external antennas in $40-$100 range; more expensive ones comes with dual band support 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. I would be happy to see something similar from MikroTik. I would probably buy one of these 3x3 MIMO + external ant routers... but that RB951-2n is something I can't trust. - not because it's bad, but due to bad experiences with 751U-2HnD.

Note: I'm still waiting for RB2011 with wireless. It would be nice to add third antenna and chain to that one. :)


Ditto

soulflyhigh
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 76
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 11:20 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by soulflyhigh » Fri May 25, 2012 1:06 pm

Routerboard Metal sounds fantastic :)
However, the problem I see with the Metal is the orientation of N-male connector / ethernet port.
Majority of antenna types have a horizontal connector (in properly installed position).
This means that Metal is impossible to mount on such antennas without exposing ethernet port to weather conditions.

Is it possible to rotate N-male connector for 90 degrees in some future model?
Adding externally additional 90'' n-female_to_n-male adapter really isn't solution (increased price and probability of weather isolation's failure due to additional "weak point" in RF chain).

Metal as a new product is a REALLY GREAT IDEA, but in this form we cannot use it without additional 90'' degrees adapter or RF cable with N connectors and this reduces some of the main advantages of this new routerboard.

OrCAD
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
 
Posts: 128
Joined: Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:37 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by OrCAD » Sat May 26, 2012 2:24 pm

add a 90° Nmale to N female right adapter..
MTCNA - MTCRE - MTCTCE - MTCINE

jspool
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 83
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:06 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by jspool » Sat May 26, 2012 9:07 pm

Great job, now if you would add 24 volt poe output on the RB951-2 eth1 to power roof equipment you would have the holy grail of solutions. poe for outside equipment, router and access point. and watchdog to reboot router and poe would be awesome!

Regards,
Josh



normis wrote:RB951-2n and RouterBOARD Metal now shipping to your nearest distributor:

http://routerboard.com/RB951-2n (list price 45$)
http://routerboard.com/RBMetal5SHPn (list price 99$)

The RB951-2n is the home wireless AP you have been waiting for. It has five Ethernet ports and a 802.11b/g/n wireless AP with an antenna built in.
Image

The new, completely waterproof, rugged, and super high powered RouterBOARD Metal. The serious outdoor wireless device. 5GHz 802.11a/n and 1.3W output power
Image

Contact any distributors for more details about availability: http://www.mikrotik.com/buy

User avatar
ohara
Member
Member
 
Posts: 360
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:30 pm
Location: Warsaw

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by ohara » Sat May 26, 2012 10:13 pm

jspool wrote:now if you would add 24 volt poe output on the RB951-2 eth1 to power roof equipment you would have the holy grail of solutions.

I was thinking about the same. There are examples on the forum where somebody put poe on regular ports, somebody else used to solder mmcx connectors in place of internal antennas. So I am wondering how difficult it would be to enable poe output on one of the eth ports in RB951, and whether it is possible at all using standard electronic equipment.

If this device had at least one poe output port it could power the Groove or other CPE. It would be the ultimate hype in every enduser's hardware installation because it has wireless. Or we just wait for RB951UP and RB751GUP.

taduikis
Member
Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:09 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by taduikis » Sat May 26, 2012 10:25 pm

I vote for higher gain detachable antennas. Ideally with rp-sma connectors. It'd be more versatile that way..

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:59 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by angboontiong » Sun May 27, 2012 9:11 am

Dear Normis...

What's the Ethernet surge protection for the RBMetal5SHPn ?
Any warrantly apply if it damage by the lightning?
and, any additional voltage protection?

0ldman
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1284
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:01 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by 0ldman » Mon May 28, 2012 6:33 pm

How much shielding does this new metal casing offer over the previous Groove?

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm
Location: Spain

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by WirelessRudy » Mon May 28, 2012 6:45 pm

normis wrote:RB751U is more expensive, larger and has more output power.
RB951-2n is smaller, less expensive and has less output power.

TL-WR841N has 2x2mimo, 2,5dBm detachable antenna (RP-SMA) and 17dBm radio. Shop price is around or below 20$.
RB951-2n is 1x1 (!) siso, 1,3dBm internal antenna (so less receive sensitivity). Shop price in EU not seen yet, but has to be much lower than $ 20!

To stand a change in any sales the RB951-2n has to be half the price as the TP-link or it will simply submerge in the Tsunami of TP-Links flooding the shops on every corner of the street.

MT has a name in routerboards and makes marvelous products in the medium (wireless-)networking segments. But if they want to aim at the lower end of the market they'd better make even cheaper stuff or, come up with devices the competition doesn't have (yet).

Like:
- Poe output (on the cheap models!
- Better/higher antenna gain. (It's not all about sheer output power. The client is still sending with low power.)
- 2x2 mimo or better, start building 3x3 mimo. The competition already has these in their product lines... And make sure both V+H pol are around. Modern devices like mobiles and tablets are not static so basically the AP needs to cover the whole polarization spectrum. Even if that device is only a 1x1.
- Dual radio in the small Home/Soho Box. Steer dual radio devices (a/b/g/n) away from 2,4ghz to 5Ghz band.

Find a way to simply avoid interferences by swapping channels towards more quiet ones in split seconds while running. (So not only at start-up). I've seen it working with other vendor and it works like a charm. You need some intelligence in the OS and CPU power, just what MT already has!
With the capacity of MT-OS and CPU power available MT should, and can, make wireless technology development as a focus for future product. Trying to beat a player like TP-Link in price is a lost battle...

I love MT but to find myself in a position to still buy them in the future they really need to boost up their innovations.

MT really needs someone that looks at the market developments on a world scale. Mobile users are the bulk users of the Wifi of tomorrow. Providers will have to work with more and more crowded spectrum and competition. The only way to stay present is such a market is to be intelligent. Invent products for the wifi of tomorrow. Don't come up products that we needed yesterday....

If you need a strategic 'hand on board' you'll guys know my e-mail! :D
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by Ciambot » Tue May 29, 2012 12:08 am

I'm waiting a simple device with:
- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost

In short: IDU for wireless CPE!

User avatar
honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by honzam » Tue May 29, 2012 10:34 am

Ciambot wrote:I'm waiting a simple device with:
- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost

In short: IDU for wireless CPE!


Yes + 1
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator based on ROS. If the post helped, give Karma...

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Tue May 29, 2012 11:22 am

- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost


Can you all write some more about the features you would like to see in such a device? How many ports would you prefer, would you need PoE-in also, can you give me more details on "surge protection"?

TL-WR841N has 2x2mimo, 2,5dBm detachable antenna (RP-SMA) and 17dBm radio. Shop price is around or below 20$.


It's true that there are some very cheap devices, and we are also working on new low cost products. Currently RouterOS needs more RAM and NAND storage, so we can't make it so cheap yet, but we are working on it.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

User avatar
honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1494
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:27 pm
Location: Czech Republic

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by honzam » Tue May 29, 2012 11:48 am

normis wrote:
- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost


Can you all write some more about the features you would like to see in such a device? How many ports would you prefer, would you need PoE-in also, can you give me more details on "surge protection"?


RB951-2n is nice. But we need power output on one port. How say Ciambot - we need low cost home wifi AP for outdoor wirelles CPE.
We would be pleased if you produce rb951-2n with POE output instead of POE in.
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator based on ROS. If the post helped, give Karma...

taduikis
Member
Member
 
Posts: 341
Joined: Sat Jul 07, 2007 12:09 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by taduikis » Tue May 29, 2012 1:50 pm

I agree with above opinions. We currently deploy outdoor cpe units (sxt's and sextants mostly) and almost everytime we need to setup a local wifi access for typical devices at clients household: laptops, phones, tablets, TVs, etc.. And since such times have come that everyone wants everything as cheap as possible, we always end up with tp-link WAN router, which not only works well but has good looks aswell.. Which believe it or not matters for some people a lot. While we are almost 100% Mikrotik powered these routers are the only non-mikrotik devices in our client setups.

The given suggestions for poe port, it's surge protection and others sound very attractive andvantages for full integration, but I'm afraid that until they start making generic indoor routers with higher gain external antennas for more sensitive reception and some 11n configuration simplification for real 11n speeds it won't sell in high quantities.. Because like someone already said, a 20$ router outperforms and outsells even rb751g-2hnd for ordinary client needs..

RouterOS fancy ain't argument for higher price to an ordinary client.. But we would deploy it anyway if it's price is reasonable for given set of advantages.

And, normis, surge protection for at least one port would be kinda nice feature. At some locations we install them separately, because during summer seasons sometimes lightning fries ethernet ports of the router or pc..

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm
Location: Spain

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by WirelessRudy » Tue May 29, 2012 3:29 pm

taduikis wrote:I agree with above opinions. We currently deploy outdoor cpe units (sxt's and sextants mostly) and almost everytime we need to setup a local wifi access for typical devices at clients household: laptops, phones, tablets, TVs, etc.. And since such times have come that everyone wants everything as cheap as possible, we always end up with tp-link WAN router, which not only works well but has good looks aswell.. Which believe it or not matters for some people a lot. While we are almost 100% Mikrotik powered these routers are the only non-mikrotik devices in our client setups.

The given suggestions for poe port, it's surge protection and others sound very attractive andvantages for full integration, but I'm afraid that until they start making generic indoor routers with higher gain external antennas for more sensitive reception and some 11n configuration simplification for real 11n speeds it won't sell in high quantities.. Because like someone already said, a 20$ router outperforms and outsells even rb751g-2hnd for ordinary client needs..

RouterOS fancy ain't argument for higher price to an ordinary client.. But we would deploy it anyway if it's price is reasonable for given set of advantages.

And, normis, surge protection for at least one port would be kinda nice feature. At some locations we install them separately, because during summer seasons sometimes lightning fries ethernet ports of the router or pc..
What can I say, you just prescribed my network and thinking..... 200% second what is written here.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

User avatar
mahnet
Long time Member
Long time Member
 
Posts: 650
Joined: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:11 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by mahnet » Tue May 29, 2012 3:31 pm

+1 for the above. Tplink works Gr8 in SOHO.

We do not require POE -in for the indoor unit but POE out is a must to power up the outdoor CPE etc.
POE-in is like u have made an indoor device but u have its outdoor usage in mind. Like the 751U-2hnD but i do not find it very successfull with the outdoor mmcx connector connected to an OMNI antenna.

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm
Location: Spain

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by WirelessRudy » Tue May 29, 2012 4:14 pm

The POE out is indeed very helpful in reducing the amount of cables. As wireless internet operator I every time again embarrassed how much cables we need.

If this cheap SoHo router with 2x2 powerful V+H-pol antenna array and PoE out than also would have the "repeater" functionality I will have many instances I can even use two of such units.
Now one router (even with the powerful TP-links) is sometimes not enough to cover a big house. Now I hook up a second TP-link.
Given with the above mentioned options I would probably end up installing two MT routers in such instances.

And yes, what normis wrote, the ROS needs a bit more cpu power. But that is exactly where the TP-Links sometimes fail. Their CPU is weak, long boot times and crashes under difficult situations.
MT should use the extra power that their products come with for more intelligent use of the radio's. Use the disadvantage of the more expensive cpu and memory to an advantage by offering features others can't for such a price.....
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Ciambot
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:22 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by Ciambot » Tue May 29, 2012 5:38 pm

normis wrote:
- poe output
- switch ports
- 2.4ghz ap (mimo)
- surge protection
- low cost


Can you all write some more about the features you would like to see in such a device? How many ports would you prefer, would you need PoE-in also, can you give me more details on "surge protection"?



Thank you for attention, Normis.
I show you my best/ultimate IDU for wireless costumers. I don't expect it's all developed, but I'd like to have a similar device.

I'd like to have single device that replaces switch, ap wifi, power supply, poe and voip, in customer's lan. A single device has a lot of advantages: about purchase orders, configurations, troubleshootings, telephone supporting, failures, tickets, installing, deploying...

It must have:
- 1 special port to connect odu: spaced from others, poe output, surge protection (protection about ethernet, very important! for grounding shielded cables), more difficult to disconnect cable, different colour LED.
- 4 ports switch
- Ap wifi mimo (for better coverage)
- Fxs voip ports: I know, it is not simple and immediatly, but...

...the way is this: all big telecom companies move in this direction since years, one single and simple device in customer's house, that can simplify all things and lowered costs.

There aren't similar devices in market, few exceptions (alvarion), but they aren't low cost.
Last edited by Ciambot on Tue May 29, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by mtmx80 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:39 pm

normis wrote:
TL-WR841N has 2x2mimo, 2,5dBm detachable antenna (RP-SMA) and 17dBm radio. Shop price is around or below 20$.


It's true that there are some very cheap devices, and we are also working on new low cost products. Currently RouterOS needs more RAM and NAND storage, so we can't make it so cheap yet, but we are working on it.


Personally I'm not looking to get devices as cheap as TP-Link, but I expect to get device which performs at least as good as their devices do. I think RouterOS is worth those $20-$40 compared to freely available alternative solutions, but the product itself should works well. No unexpected reboots, performance issues, bad signal or slow throughput ...

mtmx80
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 85
Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:12 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by mtmx80 » Tue May 29, 2012 6:56 pm

To be honest I'm looking for MikroTik version of this product: TL-WDR4300 N750 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300. It's price is ~$90. If Mikrotik add it's own value and sell it in $130-$150 I will purchase at least 2 of them for home.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:59 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by angboontiong » Tue May 29, 2012 8:36 pm

Possible the metal model can have only level 3 license ???

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Wed May 30, 2012 8:12 am

angboontiong wrote:Possible the metal model can have only level 3 license ???


No, the Metal has L4 license.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by rviteri » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:33 pm

rb751g-2hnd would work well if it would have an external antenna and the endless random reboots were fixed.

I've been looking all over the place for an MMCX connector. When I found it, guess what, it was a 90 angle one and it did not reach all the way in.

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:50 pm

rviteri wrote:rb751g-2hnd would work well if it would have an external antenna and the endless random reboots were fixed.

I've been looking all over the place for an MMCX connector. When I found it, guess what, it was a 90 angle one and it did not reach all the way in.


Could you please clarify what rebooting issue you mean?
The MMCX connector is longer in new RB751U/G models that are shipping for the last 1-2 months.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by rviteri » Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:01 am

normis wrote:
rviteri wrote:rb751g-2hnd would work well if it would have an external antenna and the endless random reboots were fixed.

I've been looking all over the place for an MMCX connector. When I found it, guess what, it was a 90 angle one and it did not reach all the way in.


Could you please clarify what rebooting issue you mean?
The MMCX connector is longer in new RB751U/G models that are shipping for the last 1-2 months.



Hi,
This is the issue:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=61603 I already sent the support file.

I mikrotik recalling older RB751s and swapping them for the ones that have the new connector?

miahac
Member
Member
 
Posts: 483
Joined: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:04 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by miahac » Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:51 pm

taduikis wrote:I vote for higher gain detachable antennas. Ideally with rp-sma connectors. It'd be more versatile that way..


These type of antennas require 4 extra cost item. For each antenna,
1. Soldering (labor) of the 2. the pigtail from the circuit board to the 3. SMA connectors which would have 4. rubber duck antennas screwed into
This would add about $4-$7 to the actual cost, probably around $10 to the reseller, additional components in the supply chain. Defeating the purpose of getting out a $40 all in one router.

I think the 751GUN5+2 someone else suggested with tons of antennas, 5g and 2.4g would probably sell for $150 but only a small fraction of the volume. If that is what you want build it yourself for about $250

1x RB493
2x R52NMH
1x 493 case
2x RP-SMA Pigtail
4x 5dbi rp-sma antenna
1x power supply
Network Administrator
Kansas Hosting and Wichita Data Centers

Lakis
Long time Member
Long time Member
 
Posts: 545
Joined: Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by Lakis » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:43 pm

Metal :)))
U should name it "IRON"

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm
Location: Spain

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by WirelessRudy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:47 am

miahac wrote:
taduikis wrote:I vote for higher gain detachable antennas. Ideally with rp-sma connectors. It'd be more versatile that way..


These type of antennas require 4 extra cost item. For each antenna,
1. Soldering (labor) of the 2. the pigtail from the circuit board to the 3. SMA connectors which would have 4. rubber duck antennas screwed into
This would add about $4-$7 to the actual cost, probably around $10 to the reseller, additional components in the supply chain. Defeating the purpose of getting out a $40 all in one router.

I think the 751GUN5+2 someone else suggested with tons of antennas, 5g and 2.4g would probably sell for $150 but only a small fraction of the volume. If that is what you want build it yourself for about $250

1x RB493
2x R52NMH
1x 493 case
2x RP-SMA Pigtail
4x 5dbi rp-sma antenna
1x power supply
TP-Link TL-WR2543ND sells for only € 64,- which is about $ 55,-
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

rviteri
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
 
Posts: 72
Joined: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:53 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by rviteri » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:10 am

WirelessRudy wrote:
miahac wrote:
taduikis wrote:I vote for higher gain detachable antennas. Ideally with rp-sma connectors. It'd be more versatile that way..


These type of antennas require 4 extra cost item. For each antenna,
1. Soldering (labor) of the 2. the pigtail from the circuit board to the 3. SMA connectors which would have 4. rubber duck antennas screwed into
This would add about $4-$7 to the actual cost, probably around $10 to the reseller, additional components in the supply chain. Defeating the purpose of getting out a $40 all in one router.

I think the 751GUN5+2 someone else suggested with tons of antennas, 5g and 2.4g would probably sell for $150 but only a small fraction of the volume. If that is what you want build it yourself for about $250

1x RB493
2x R52NMH
1x 493 case
2x RP-SMA Pigtail
4x 5dbi rp-sma antenna
1x power supply
TP-Link TL-WR2543ND sells for only € 64,- which is about $ 55,-


Dude check your math...

64 euros is about 80 US dollars

slech
Member
Member
 
Posts: 411
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:03 pm
Location: Moldova, Chisinau

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by slech » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:57 am

I would buy RB951U-2n.
DO you plan to add USB in RB951-2n ?
sorry for my english

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm
Location: Spain

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by WirelessRudy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:58 am

rviteri wrote:
Dude check your math...

64 euros is about 80 US dollars
Ha! I'm in Spain and my faith in the euro must already have dropped! haha.
Yes, you're right.

But the message is clear. TP-Link set sort of the price level. MT should do better either in price or features/quality.
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

Beone
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
 
Posts: 166
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by Beone » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:29 pm

mtmx80 wrote:To be honest I'm looking for MikroTik version of this product: TL-WDR4300 N750 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300. It's price is ~$90. If Mikrotik add it's own value and sell it in $130-$150 I will purchase at least 2 of them for home.


+1000 :-)

WirelessRudy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 2246
Joined: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:54 pm
Location: Spain

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by WirelessRudy » Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:55 pm

Beone wrote:
mtmx80 wrote:To be honest I'm looking for MikroTik version of this product: TL-WDR4300 N750 http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-WDR4300. It's price is ~$90. If Mikrotik add it's own value and sell it in $130-$150 I will purchase at least 2 of them for home.


+1000 :-)
Orders are counting up now , 1002 already! :)
Show your appreciation of this post by giving me Karma! Thanks.

Rudy R. Puister

WISP operator based on MT routerboard & ROS.

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:14 pm

Could you please clarify what is it that you wish to see in such a device, and why exactly the mentioned model? Has anyone actually tested it? Or you are simply comparing the features? If so, which features you need the most? 3 Chains?
No answer to your question? How to write posts

devol
just joined
 
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:05 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by devol » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:45 am

I think the reason the tp-link device is mentioned, is that is a dual radio CPE with multiple ethernet ports and usb. Mikrotik doesn't have anything integrated into a CPE type device that supports 5ghz and 2.4ghz. (Not even a dual BAND radio, much less dual radios). And while its true you can build your own (or even better versions with something like a RB493), it would be really really nice to have something like a RB751 with at least a dual band radio in it (and antenna), or dual radios. I know I would buy one right now.

angboontiong
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
 
Posts: 1002
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:59 am

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by angboontiong » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:32 pm

devol wrote:I think the reason the tp-link device is mentioned, is that is a dual radio CPE with multiple ethernet ports and usb. Mikrotik doesn't have anything integrated into a CPE type device that supports 5ghz and 2.4ghz. (Not even a dual BAND radio, much less dual radios). And while its true you can build your own (or even better versions with something like a RB493), it would be really really nice to have something like a RB751 with at least a dual band radio in it (and antenna), or dual radios. I know I would buy one right now.


hi, i would prefer it the mikrotik can make the wireless interface and the ethernet interface same roof.
what i mean is, there is no more bridge required but the wireless interface can as slave of the ethernet...

this can make the data process more faster and no more depend on the cpu...

User avatar
normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support
 
Posts: 19330
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 11:04 am
Location: Riga, Latvia

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by normis » Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:44 pm

angboontiong wrote:
devol wrote:I think the reason the tp-link device is mentioned, is that is a dual radio CPE with multiple ethernet ports and usb. Mikrotik doesn't have anything integrated into a CPE type device that supports 5ghz and 2.4ghz. (Not even a dual BAND radio, much less dual radios). And while its true you can build your own (or even better versions with something like a RB493), it would be really really nice to have something like a RB751 with at least a dual band radio in it (and antenna), or dual radios. I know I would buy one right now.


hi, i would prefer it the mikrotik can make the wireless interface and the ethernet interface same roof.
what i mean is, there is no more bridge required but the wireless interface can as slave of the ethernet...

this can make the data process more faster and no more depend on the cpu...


Sorry, but can you clarify? I don't understand what you meant.
No answer to your question? How to write posts

User avatar
jp
Long time Member
Long time Member
 
Posts: 580
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 6:06 am
Location: Maine

Re: RB951-2n and Metal now shipping

by jp » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:27 pm

I think we're forgetting how gain is attained in antennas. For an indoor AP, you want uniform coverage in all directions (which decreases the db rating). High gain is going to lose up and down radiation or coverage.

  Next
70 posts   •   Page 1 of 2   •   1, 2

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 8 guests

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:29 am