MikroTik App

miro10hr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Print in file on specific interfval - help

Mon Oct 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Hi,

I'm not very familiar in scripting, it seems to me this shouldn't be hard to do, but I didn't manage to find similar items.

I need to print in file signal strenght of specific wireless client, for example, every second.

This is the command:

/interface wireless registration-table print brief interval=1s where mac-address=xxxxxx

The result of this command is:

# INTERFACE RADIO-NAME MAC-ADDRESS AP SIGNAL... TX-RATE
0 wlan1 xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx no -61dBm... 5.5Mbps

If i put file in command:
/interface wireless registration-table print brief file="name_1" where mac-address=xxxxxxxxxxxxx

and put scheduler to 1s, it is no good.

The script is writing repeatedly in the same file and file is corrupted (it has /r/n in it's name when I issue file print in terminal).

Can someone help me about this. How should I write the script?

miro10hr
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Re: Print in file on specific interfval - help

Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:38 pm

OK,

I played a little bit, but the only thing I could get is to print one line in the file. Every new line is erasing the previous one.

I tried to copy some lines of code from others, but I really don't have too much understanding of this.

This is my code:
#Global variable
:global fileContent "";
#this commands puts the output of this print command in the file (it erases previous entry in the file)
/interface wireless registration-table print file=Test1.txt brief where mac-address="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx";
#the content of the files i copied to variable
:set fileContent [/file get Test1.txt content];
#variable is copied to new file, each entry in new line
/file set Signal.txt contents=($fileContent."\n");

So this was my logic, but it doesn't work. I can't add new row, so every new entry is put in the new row.

What am I doing wrong?

skot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Re: Print in file on specific interfval - help

Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:37 am

You could save signal strength to a variable and append this data every second. Then, this variable can be saved to a file:
{
# check if file exists, if not create it and set contents to nothing
:if ([:len [/file find name="Signal.txt"]] != 1) do={
	/file print file=Signal
	:delay 2s;
	/file set Signal.txt contents="";
}
# set variables
:local fileContent;
:local signal;
# get signal from specific MAC
:set signal [/interface wireless registration-table get [find where mac-address="xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx"] signal-strength];
# get file content
:set fileContent [/file get Signal.txt content];
# append signal to fileContent
:set fileContent ($fileContent . $signal);
# re-write file content
/file set Signal.txt contents=($fileContent . "\r\n");
}
However, writing to a file every second may not be advisable as it will shorten the life of the flash memory... You could save the signal to a variable every second and then every few minutes write this data to a file (using a couple scripts and the scheduler). However, the main problem with this method is file size. You can't create a file larger than 4096 bytes (http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 36#p213405), so you will quickly hit that limit.

Using the Dude would be a good solution. It can log signal and much more: http://www.mikrotik.com/thedude.php

But, I still wonder, what do you want to do with the data? How do you want to use it? This might help determine the best solution for you.