Community discussions

MikroTik App

elgrandiegote
Topic Author

OpenVPN - UDP, LZ0?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:00 pm

In version RouterOS v6 update is planned OpenVPN support for UDP and compression LZ0?
thanks

normis
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Re: OpenVPN - UDP, LZ0?

Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:01 pm

no plans for that

patrickmkt
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:45 pm

It's one of the most requested features for years, but still no plan to do it...

You better ask for a pink with green dot router, you'll have better chance to see it done.

rebel2234

Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:58 pm

I see this asked about and requested many times in these forums. I am not sure why this could not be implemented in software. Is there some kind of software/hardware limitation that is keeping Mikrotik from building this functionality into their software? Really confused about this.

elgrandiegote
Topic Author

Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:58 am

I am a long time user of mikrotik, but before the new products presented by Ubiquiti EdgeMax and full support OpenVPN (UDP, LZ0, etc) was thought to choose them, but first wanted to know if I was in the plans for further development Mikrotik OpenVPN since I have been using for a long time with very good results.

przent

Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:09 am

It is possible that they do not want to touch OpenVPN because of licensing issues. They do not want to wake-up the dragon as they know he will eat (sue) them.

OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. owns all of the rights to the OpenVPN core and maintains a dual license for the use of the technology. We support a license under GPLv2 along with a commercial license where appropriate without the restrictions of GPLv2. Please contact our sales at sales@openvpn.net), if there is an interest in commercial license

Well if Mikrotik has not commercially licensed OpenVPN and has not released the full compileable source-code of their changes (cutting features and claiming compatibility with original is a change in terms of GPLv2) then they have to stand still and hope nobody will notice so soon.

So and now ban me (again) and delete this post or prove I`m wrong.

elgrandiegote
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2013 4:09 am

The issue of the license, probably, but then like OpenWrt, Ubiquiti, etc etc could implement it without any problems and can not MikroTik?, Very strange ...

przent

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:06 am

OpenWrt is GPLv2 software and they even didn`t modify anything, they just compile the source code against their libs. Ubiquity EdgeCore routers on modified Vyatta use a Debian OpenVpn source package with a config frontend which is GPLed as well. They use OpenVPN under GPL terms so they have and will not have issues even if they start to modify the code.

I wonder if MikroTik wrote their own OpenVPN implementation. That wouldn`t have a business-case. I think that they just took the OVPN code and slightly adapted to their needs. It wouldn`t be the first part they ripped off from open-source projects without respect to GPL terms.

JanezFord
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:52 am

It is possible that they do not want to touch OpenVPN because of licensing issues. They do not want to wake-up the dragon as they know he will eat (sue) them.

OpenVPN Technologies, Inc. owns all of the rights to the OpenVPN core and maintains a dual license for the use of the technology. We support a license under GPLv2 along with a commercial license where appropriate without the restrictions of GPLv2. Please contact our sales at sales@openvpn.net), if there is an interest in commercial license

Well if Mikrotik has not commercially licensed OpenVPN and has not released the full compileable source-code of their changes (cutting features and claiming compatibility with original is a change in terms of GPLv2) then they have to stand still and hope nobody will notice so soon.

So and now ban me (again) and delete this post or prove I`m wrong.
If that would be the case I believe MT would remove OpenVPN from their products completely, not just leave a semi developed solution that is usable only in certain cases....

elgrandiegote
Topic Author

Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:41 pm

Could replace TCP support with UDP and would be a major advance, would be much more usable

dahuafschmied
just joined

Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:46 pm

i think they have a real big problem with UDP in RouterOS.
and as i can remember the programmers @mikrotik commit suicide if they have to implement openvpn.

but why???

dahuafschmied
just joined

Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:32 pm

IKEv2 uses UDP -> not implemented....

rado3105

Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:49 pm

Yes it is like you said because of licensing and releasing source code(ubiquity do that and contribute to community.....despite the opposite thinking like mikrotik, it seems that they earn more...)
Also open services like openvpn are feauture, because biggest players in network market support it.....
Routeros is great routing platform....but there are cases when people choose ubnt edgerouter(more linux and harder configuration - but better support, stability, more features - because you can install almost what you want from linux world.... and this is the future...)

Noc
just joined

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:56 pm

Mikrotik is a great product, but for us without openvpn with udp it is a no go!!!

Is there any update if or if not mikrotik will implement openvpn fully?

DogHead
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:01 am

+1+1+1+1+1
Udp openvpn...please

vovannovig
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Fri Feb 14, 2014 8:10 am

Ticket # 2014021166000406 Completely broke Openvpn TAP - Ethernet, or rather the router does not consider that the interface is suitable for bridge or PPPoE server and other functions.
This failure is critical and in my opinion should be eliminated immediately, and the user who encountered this problem and is willing to test the need to give temporary exhibition where corrected data error then I get rid of the problem, and you can close the test and fault elimination!

Once they are completely broke Openvpn TAP (http://wikipedia.org/wiki/TUN/TAP) I'm starting to think seriously about replacing their 70 routers (bought last year) and a few CCR on another manufacturer ...

It's just so much ugliness breaking technology which is used by millions of users to build corporate networks for QinQ and other second and release it (not a test, and working!)
to this, they have many years of refusing to carry out our requests (

What I wanted to say this year to translate all the routers in the CCR 36-core but understand that it is better to buy a server mikrotik inflicted great damage very much to me as the administrator and the financial detriment of the organization.
Sorry.

PS> is not too late to listen to our request and start early development this functionality, as well as to report to Forum IMPLEMENTATION DATE! Well, if you have any doubts let's vote!
Thank you!

vovannovig
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:59 am

http://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php ... 24#p409524
Please give an official response - will support this functionality in the future, and when to wait for implementation?
Vidut work or planning?