MikroTik App

rizwan602
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Configuring Routerboard as L2TP client

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:31 am

Hello,

I have an account with StrongVPN that supports L2TP access.

I have the following information:

Server Address (aka Host Name or Internet Address): vpn-sf98.reliablehosting.com
Login (username/account name): vpn123 (for example only)
Password: abcdefgh (for example only)
L2TP key (shared secret): ABCDEFGHE5ZdYB3 (for example only)
Server Location: United States, San Francisco
Server IP: 192.200.144.58 (This can also be used in place of Server Address)

This information works GREAT with Windows 7 VPN client. However I can't seem to set this up with MikroTik's L2TP client. I don't think I have to use IPSEC because in Windows 7 client it doesn't ask for this information. It asks only for username, password, pre-shared key for authentication and server address.

When I try to connect with MikroTik L2TP client, it just sits and does nothing. I have tried PPTP and that works.

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Rizwan

jandafields
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Configuring Routerboard as L2TP client

Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:22 am

It doesn't make sense that StrongVPN would be just L2TP without IPSEC... because L2TP itself is not encrypted, and StrongVPN would not have an unencrypted tunnel. L2TP uses IPSEC to make it encrypted, and that is likely how StrongVPN is doing it.

Now, the L2TP server in Mikrotik DOES have encryption by itself, but that is a benefit of Mikrotik, it isn't a standard.

cbrown
Trainer
Trainer

Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:30 am

When I try to connect with MikroTik L2TP client, it just sits and does nothing. I have tried PPTP and that works.
I just experienced this same thing with 6.10 on a ccr1016. Haven't had time to look further into it yet and submit a supout to support.

rizwan602
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:42 pm

OK - they do provide a "shared key" in addition to the password. Is that for IPSEC purposes? Are you able to tell me the procedure to set up this shared key because I have tried my best so far to set this up and not much is available as far as help on this particular setup, which is using MikroTik as a L2TP client. Thank you!

It doesn't make sense that StrongVPN would be just L2TP without IPSEC... because L2TP itself is not encrypted, and StrongVPN would not have an unencrypted tunnel. L2TP uses IPSEC to make it encrypted, and that is likely how StrongVPN is doing it.

Now, the L2TP server in Mikrotik DOES have encryption by itself, but that is a benefit of Mikrotik, it isn't a standard.