Community discussions

MikroTik App

mervincm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

CRS 226 Bridge penalty

Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:03 pm

Rather than hijack the other post, I opened a new one.

ryanhaver wrote:
bridging which sends all packets to RouterOS (CPU) for processing effectively nullifying the increased throughput benefits of 802.3ad

I am new to Mikrotik, I have a CRS226, and I have placed it into bridge mode. I did this because I didn't need any layer3, no routing, DHCP, VLANS etc. I assumed bridged mode simple disabled the router features and disabling the routing functionality would be a performance boost, not a performance killer. Have I made an error?

The only functionality I need at this point is switching.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: CRS 226 Bridge penalty

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:30 pm

Forget bridge and read this carefully:

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CR ... _Switching

Also, I've read in some other post that 802.3ad is still not implemented in CRS, so you can't use it and benefit of wirespeed switching... yet

becs
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:47 pm

CRS do not support dynamic LACP yet, but they can be configured with static link aggreation (IEEE 802.3ad draft v1).
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:CR ... s#Trunking

mervincm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Fri Jun 20, 2014 10:13 pm

The documentation seems to say that bridge mode or router mode applies to how data flows between switch groups, am I correct?

If I don't need to do any trunking or routing, I don't really want to use bridge mode, nor router mode. I really just want one switch group. Correct?

If I do want to create a multi-port link, aka trunk group, then that group of ports would be a separate switch group with a different master port than the rest. I would then have to bridge these two master ports together, and as this involves the CRS CPU, three would be a negative performance impact.

How am I doing so far?

I verified my CRS226 has a bridge1, and there is a checkbox it is the root bridge. But since I have port 1 as the master port, and all 23 others, plus both SFP+ slots as slaves of port1, I don't think I have anything going through the bridge, other than management traffic, so I don't have any non wirespeed port to port?

mervincm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Can someone please confirm if I am on the right track here.

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:01 pm

The documentation seems to say that bridge mode or router mode applies to how data flows between switch groups, am I correct?
As I see it, you need to start thinking that CRS is a switch plus a single port (switch1-cpu) routerboard all in a single box. The way to set this up is different from any other non-CRS device, even if you can still do things "the old way" using the CPU of the routerboard. CRS has a switch chip and if you want wirespeed you have to set things up on it.
If I don't need to do any trunking or routing, I don't really want to use bridge mode, nor router mode. I really just want one switch group. Correct?
Right
If I do want to create a multi-port link, aka trunk group, then that group of ports would be a separate switch group with a different master port than the rest. I would then have to bridge these two master ports together, and as this involves the CRS CPU, three would be a negative performance impact.
You can set up a static trunk in the switch chip directly, even if the ports have the same master-port as other ports:
/interface ethernet switch trunk
add name=trunk1 member-ports=ether6,ether7,ether8
Check the example in the wiki for hints on how to set up the other side of the trunk.

As there is no bridge, theres no CPU involved, so you get max speed the switch chip is able to give you, aka wirespeed.
I verified my CRS226 has a bridge1, and there is a checkbox it is the root bridge. But since I have port 1 as the master port, and all 23 others, plus both SFP+ slots as slaves of port1, I don't think I have anything going through the bridge, other than management traffic, so I don't have any non wirespeed port to port?
I think that you should remove the bridge, because bridge configuration may have preference over the switch-chip settings.

mervincm
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor
Topic Author

Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:32 am

Thank you!
Based on your advice, I removed the bridge, and everything still seems to function correctly. To be honest, the impression that I had from quick set was you had to pick from router or bridge mode. I knew I didn't need any routing functionality, so I assumed I must want bridge mode.

Now I am left wandering, typically why would someone want to use bridging on a CRS?

leonset
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:37 am

Now I am left wandering, typically why would someone want to use bridging on a CRS?
Well, you may need to do some filtering that can't be done directly within the switch chip, i.e. filter pppoe discovery packets or apply some MAC based Nat rules... very specific scenarios that few "ordinary" switches probably wouldn't be able to cover anyway