Community discussions

MikroTik App

KuJoe
just joined
Topic Author

IPv4 speed slowed when connected to CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN

Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:46 am

So I noticed my home ISP has been slower than it was last year and I thought it was my cable modem or more people in my apartment complex saturating the network. I decided to plug my laptop directly into the cable modem to see if it makes a difference and I saw a huge increase in download speeds when I did. The problem is, my IPv6 traffic is faster than my IPv4 traffic so I know the router/ports/cables are capable of faster speeds than I am seeing and I did some performance tests over the wired network (iperf to and from my NAS) so I know it can do at least 100Mbps no problem.

Any ideas why my IPv4 WAN traffic through the router is so slow compared to my IPv6 WAN traffic with the router and my IPv4 WAN traffic without the router?

Without the router, I'm getting 90-95Mbps down over the WAN for IPv4 (can't get IPv6 working without the router for some reason).
With the router, I'm getting a max of 20Mbps down over the WAN for IPv4 and 50Mbps down over the WAN for IPv6.
Using iperf over the wired LAN, 442 Mbps Download & 339 Mbps Upload (IPv4).

I updated all of the firmware and software, I've done reboots and changed cables, I reset the router to the factory default to ensure there were no firewall rules or extra settings, I hooked up another laptop with a different OS, I've tried both wired and wireless for both laptops, I tried different speed test websites, so now I turn to here.

I'd post my configs here, but they are just the factory default now. Any ideas that can help me boost my speed to what it should be (I'm paying for 100Mbps and I'm seeing at least 90Mbps through the modem so anywhere close to 75Mbps is enough for me) would be appreciated. Thanks!

troffasky

Re: IPv4 speed slowed when connected to CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN

Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:42 am

Change the queue to 'ethernet-default' and re-test, although it's not obvious that the queueing would affect IPv4 and IPv6 differently.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue#Queue_Types

Hey Mikrotik, why isn't ethernet-default the default?

KuJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Sun Mar 29, 2015 8:03 am

Change the queue to 'ethernet-default' and re-test, although it's not obvious that the queueing would affect IPv4 and IPv6 differently.

http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue#Queue_Types

Hey Mikrotik, why isn't ethernet-default the default?
Thanks for the heads up. I'll give this a try and report back. :)

KuJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:45 pm

When I first made the change to the queue there was no difference in speed. I was getting ready to update this thread and decided to give the speed test one more go and it's looking better and during the day no less. Not as good as I'd like it, but it's almost at the halfway mark for what I'm paying for so that's something.

Thanks troffasky!

KuJoe
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:15 am

Just another follow-up:

The change to the queue got me part of the way there, then rebuilding the TCP/IP stack in Windows 7 got me the rest of the way. My laptop running linux saw a nice boost with the queue change also (forgot to test it last time I posted).