This is wonderful! Even if you don’t plan to keep doing this process for future versions can you please make sure the link is available on your download page anyway? Install the OVA and upgrade only works if we can find the OVA
Looks great! I tested it on ESXi 6.0.0 and finally we have a way to deploy CHR in 10 seconds!
I would advise to keep the RouterOS version out of the default system name. E.g. name it only MikroTik_CHR.
The actual version will change over time and this name cannot really be changed anymore.
(you can rename the VM but inside the VM directory the vmdk files will keep the original name - confusing)
So you’re saying that we should put a generic name inside the VMX, right? File name of the OVA can contain the version number right?
‘displayName’ and ‘annotation’ should just contain name without the version?
Update.
Did a test of my own with the previously published https://www.mikrotik.com/download/share/MikroTik_CHR_Release_6_40_3.ova - when importing I chose a different name (‘kk chr’), then after importing I was able to change the name and annotation. Could you please explain the problem? We’re using the ESXi web interface.
Yes. The .ova of course can have a version in its name, but the name suggested in the wizard when importing the .ova is better left generic.
(and the note probably as well, although that can easily be edited afterwards when desired)
Is that a change that has been made? Or maybe it depends on VMware version and/or procedure used?
In my case it suggested a name that included the version number.
I noticed when using VMXNET3 and having a 10Gbit link there is a ‘incomplete’ status message at auto negatiotion, see attachment.
Is this something known?