just joined
Topic Author

Router crashes are wiping the config

Tue May 18, 2021 11:30 pm

Hi,

Router: RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD
Revision: r2
RouterOS: 7.1beta5

Recently I unplugged my RB4011iGS+5HacQ2HnD and when I powered it back on the configuration was gone. I am fairly diligent about backups and I take a backup before I make any configuration change, but I couldn't restore from any of them. The device would just reboot back to the initial configuration (default password, no assigned addresses, no firewall rules, etc.)

In the end I had to restore from a backup that was taken by https://github.com/beeyev/Mikrotik-Rout ... and-update which emails you an encrypted backup if you configured to do so.

I thought it might have been due to a corrupted OS, but when I checked it using the "Check Installation" feature everything has comes back ok.

I thought maybe it was a one off, but just 10 minutes ago I was tuning my fq_codel queue and the router crashed (I am fine with it crashing as I know it's still a beta), upon restarting the configuration was again wiped, and I had to restore from the same backup. Very odd.

Has anyone come across this problem? Is it worth me doing a configuration reset and re-applying my configuration (.rsc) instead of restoring the backup?

Thanks.

kiler129
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Router crashes are wiping the config

Thu May 20, 2021 11:39 pm

Seems like the same issue as described in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174897

Easen
just joined
Topic Author

Thu May 20, 2021 11:44 pm

Seems like the same issue as described in viewtopic.php?f=1&t=174897
Yes it does. Have you had any luck tracking down the problems with yours?

I’m going to attempt to do a Netinstall, however I only have a Mac so I need to install windows etc to it up and running (I don’t want to try this via a virtual machine).

kiler129
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Fri May 21, 2021 12:16 am

Sadly no luck, the config is valid up to a point and when you change something it becomes invalid so that after reboot it just wipes the whole router - it's bizarre. I wasn't able to get to the root cause yet.

As for netinstall I always do that from a Win10 VM on a Mac ;) It's sometimes finicky so I usually connect a USB ethernet and pass it to a VM.

Easen
just joined
Topic Author

Fri May 21, 2021 12:56 am

Oh cool I'll try that, saves me going down the Bootcamp option.

I suspect you're right, it's one line of bad config that it can't get past when it boots, which basically puts it in an unloaded/empty state, the problem is which config is it!

Last night it happened again once I upgraded to the new beta, I had to restore to a slightly older backup. Since then, I have pruned a firewall & NAT rules, tweaked a DHCP pool size (increased it) and updated the graphs to be accessible from 0.0.0.0/0 (basically bringing it back to speed with what it was before it went pop). I haven't restarted it since making these changes, but I have backed up after each change (I would do it now, but I don't want to be up to the early hours debugging it again). I'm planning of restarting it at the weekend to see to try and rule out these config changes. Then I was going to preform a netinstall just to get back to a clean state before restoring from a backup.

Mikrotik Support - Is it worth me producing a Supout.if before and after (if was to happen again) to help you diagnose this issue?

Easen
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2021 4:19 am

I think I may have found the root cause after a series of netinstalls and slow re-adding my configuration.

I believe RouterOS 7 isn't compatible with this script https://github.com/beeyev/Mikrotik-Rout ... Update.rsc, I haven't worked out if it's the script or RouterOS 7, but I am pretty sure this was the culprit.

I think from now on I am going to netinstall any new OS updates and re-apply my configuration script.

@kiler129 do you have the same script installed on yours or any other scripts for that matter?

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 22, 2021 11:47 am

search tags # rextended export full backup complete user manager dude

notice for future versions: thanks k6ccc for the hint to save also the list of packages installed and if are active or not

I think I may have found the root cause after a series of netinstalls and slow re-adding my configuration.

I believe RouterOS 7 isn't compatible with this script https://github.com/beeyev/Mikrotik-Rout ... Update.rsc, I haven't worked out if it's the script or RouterOS 7, but I am pretty sure this was the culprit.

I think from now on I am going to netinstall any new OS updates and re-apply my configuration script.

@kiler129 do you have the same script installed on yours or any other scripts for that matter?
395 lines to do.. nothing?
I do not want waste my brain to try to understand all...

I just give you this, just set correctly your parameters on /tools Email:
:local sendto "mail@provider.ext"
:local certpass "myprivatepass"

/system clock
:local date [get date]
:local time [get time]

:local dsubj ""
:local dfile ""
:local bymail do={/delay 20s;/tool e-mail send to=$sendto subject=$dsubj file=$dfile}

/certificate
:foreach cert in=[find] do={
 :local certname [get $cert name]
 export-certificate $cert file-name=("auto_$certname") type=pkcs12 export-passphrase=$certpass
 $bymail $dsubj="Certificate $certname $date $time" $dfile="auto_$certname.p12"
}

/export file="auto_export"
/tool e-mail send to=$mail subject="Export $date $time" file="auto_export.rsc"

/user export file="auto_user_export"
$bymail $dsubj="User Export $date $time" $dfile="auto_user_export.rsc"

/system backup save name="auto_backup" dont-encrypt=yes
$bymail $dsubj="Backup $date $time" $dfile="auto_backup.backup"

If you use user-manager add also:
/file remove [find where name="auto_user-manager.umb"]
/tool user-manager database save name="auto_user-manager"
$bymail $dsubj="Database User-Manager $date $time" $dfile="auto_user-manager.umb"

If you use Dude add also:
/file remove [find where name="auto_thedude.db"]
/dude export-db backup-file="auto_thedude.db"
$bymail $dsubj="Database The Dude $date $time" $dfile="auto_thedude.db"

and if you want backup also all internal files, add at the bottom:

:local filelist ""
/file
:foreach file in=[find where type!=disk && type!=directory && !(name~"dude/files/default") && !(name~"^auto_") && !(name~"dude.db\$") && !(name~"db-...\$") && !(name~"user-manager")] do={
:if ($filelist != "") do={:set $filelist ($filelist.",")}
:set $filelist ($filelist.[get $file name])
}
$bymail $dsubj="All the other files $date $time" $dfile=$filelist
Last edited by rextended on Fri May 28, 2021 11:28 pm, edited 9 times in total.
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.

Easen
just joined
Topic Author

Sat May 22, 2021 1:14 pm

The main reason why I used that script was to inform me whenever there’s a new update, it also has the ability to auto update your router (which is the bulk of that script). However I am quickly learning you shouldn’t do this with the RouterOS 7 beta’s, as I suspect MikroTik call these betas because they don’t QA the upgrade path scenarios, they leave that to us. ;)

I don’t know if the original bug was due to the script or RouterOS script engine or something else in the startup scripts of the router. Either way I don’t need this script as I have changed the way I upgrade beta versions (export configure, net install and apply config).

Thanks for those snippets, I give them a go next week. At the moment I am just enjoying some stability.

rextended
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat May 22, 2021 1:21 pm

>>>to inform me whenever there’s a new update<<<
read on mikrotik site or subscribe on newsletter

>>>auto update your router<<<
...the most worst thing to do...
I'm Italian, not English. Sorry for my imperfect grammar.