Community discussions

MikroTik App

Cablenut9
Topic Author

USB ethernet NIC is reported as LTE interface

Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:46 pm

I'm using a hAP ac3 with a USB->Ethernet dongle and for some reason, v7beta6 thinks it's an LTE interface. It seems to work just fine, but almost nothing can be changed other than the MTU. I also can't add this interface to a bridge. The chip used inside the dongle is a common Realtek NIC, so what gives?
Serial question asker

npeca75

Re: USB ethernet NIC is reported as LTE interface

Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:00 pm

So, i was reported same issue in 7.0 b4 if i remember correctly
and it was fixed in 7.0 b5

but, looks like programmers working at Mikortik forget what was done and when
so in next 7.1 b it was lost again

here is the original post

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=154630&p=775998#p775998

r00t

Tue Jun 22, 2021 2:56 pm

Many LTE modems appear as USB ethernet adapter. It's likely someone reported LTE modem that wasn't appearing as such and they just assigned same USB class to be LTE modems...
I think best would be to just have an option in USB devices list to allow user to set them to appear as ethernet or as LTE.

Also there is still no official list of ROS supported hardware or even just list of drivers that are included on each platform.
All lists on wiki are outdated and you never know if some device will work or not, have to search forum or just google it... have some official information would be much better.

Cablenut9
Topic Author

Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:05 pm

Many LTE modems appear as USB ethernet adapter. It's likely someone reported LTE modem that wasn't appearing as such and they just assigned same USB class to be LTE modems...
This is pretty lazy, as basically all LTE modems support AT commands and other cellular function and no USB Ethernet adapter would, so this should be a litmus test to classify the interface.
Serial question asker