MikroTik App

nkourtzis
Member Candidate
Member Candidate
Topic Author

Check gateway (ping/arp) reliable?

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:43 pm

Hello,

According to http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:IP/Route, the "check-gateway" setting is supposed to set on a 10-second continuous check of the gateway address of a particular route, either by ping or by arp. After two failed attempts, the gateway is considered unreachable, but the periodic checks continue. If the gateway answers again, it is considered reachable again. Is this information valid?

Well, it does not seem to work. I currently have two routes for internet access. One is faster, but becomes unavailable for a few hours per day. The other is slower, but is almost always on. Both gateway addresses are on the same network. I have given the first route a distance of 1 and the second a distance of 2 and I am checking both gateways via ping.

Well, the ping checks seem to only occasionaly work as intended. Yesterday I left the place leaving gateway 2 (the slow one) working. When I came back some hours later, traffic was indeed being routed via gateway 1. This morning, I had no access to the internet and I saw that even though gateway 1 was down, it was still being used to route traffic. I disabled the route and immediately I got internet access.I re-enabled it and it stayed active, albeit without being able to pass traffic through.

G2Dolphin
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Re: Check gateway (ping/arp) reliable?

Sat Dec 19, 2015 8:50 pm

I'm successfully used backup dual-WAN setup couple of times, routes was set up as:

WAN1 route with 8.8.8.8 as Dst.Address, with Scope: 10.
Main WAN1 route with 8.8.8.8 as gateway, with Distance: 1 and Check Gateway: ping
WAN2 route as usual, with Distance: 2.

This setup pinging Google DNS using first WAN, and after failure it marks 1-distance route as unusable and switching to the 2-distance route of WAN2.

Firmwares 6.33.2 and 6.33.3.