Community discussions

MikroTik App

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Feature request: Enhanced script editor in winbox

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:15 pm

I think it is the time to provide fully featured script editor that will introduce at least:

1) Syntax check
2) Step-by-step debugger with all variables display
3) Syntax suggestions
4) Syntax coloring

I believe there are many users that will add here other functions they would appreciate to have inside the script editor.

Thank you for your considerations.

ZeroByte
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: Feature request: Enhanced script editor in winbox

Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:30 am

At the very very very least, the existing script menu should tell you what line a syntax error occurs on just like the import command does. I'm sure there's a better way, but any time I'm editing a script and it suddenly just stops working, if I can't find my error by reading my code, then I'm forced to copy-paste it to a rsc file, upload that to the router, and use import just to find out what line number has the error - and even then, the router's idea of line numbers can be different than my computer's editor sometimes....

If it could just highlight the line that has a syntax error, that would be a tremendous improvement to the UI.

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:29 am

Looks like it is not so much interesting for others. Unfortunately.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:12 am

Perhaps those who mastered RouterOS scripting think about themselves as elite club and don't want the exclusivity ruined? You go way too far with you request, but imagine if there was only the basic "syntax error at line x, char y". That alone could make the scripting accessible to almost everyone. But it's those silent failures that make it so interesting and challenging and only for real professionals!

;)

No, seriously, I don't think that people don't want it. It's something so obvious that one almost feels stupid to need to point it out...

jarda
Forum Guru
Forum Guru
Topic Author

Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:18 am

You're maybe right. I don't mind to be seen as stupid just because pointing on that. It's worth trying that.

dada
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:44 am

for the start it would be enough to improve the built-in editor. For example PgUp/PgDn would be fine :-)

rocknight13

Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:24 am

Hi ....
I am sure Mikrotik need professional script editor that make us able to write scripts with less suffering.
hope this can be done as soon as possible or it can be optional package which you can download it or not based on user needs and hope that package contains some simple linux commands like:-
cd - change directory
cp - copy files and directories
mkdir - make directories
mv - move (rename) files
rm - remove files or directories
script editor - for file editing in text format with color and error detector.
I hope other users can support this request
regards for all