Community discussions

MikroTik App

martincho8002
just joined
Topic Author

L2TP VPN set up on MT so that they cannot detect it's a VPN

Thu Feb 01, 2018 12:53 am

Hi.

I am using ExpressVPN to stream some videos online and MikroTik router 951Ui-2HnD

I've made a simple configuration of L2TP but when I try to stream the stream provider detects that I am using VPN/proxy and blocks me. If I use the ExpressVPN application there is no problem. Me connected to VPN is not detected and I can stream.

The problem is that I need to route the entire network traffic of the house via the VPN, not only the computer.

Please assist.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: L2TP VPN set up on MT so that they cannot detect it's a VPN

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:53 pm

I guess L2TP and the application connect to different servers, which results in different external ip addresses. You can verify with a website that shows your public ip address.
There is nothing you can do about what addresses are know to be vpn/proxy to your streaming provider. Try to connect to different server/host/location/protocol of your vpn provider.

martincho8002
just joined
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:08 pm

I checked the IP address before trying to stream. It was correct, meaning it was going through the VPN server.

metricmoose

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:59 pm

It's more likely that the service is blacklisting the public IP addresses used by the VPN provider.

eworm
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:19 pm

I checked the IP address before trying to stream. It was correct, meaning it was going through the VPN server.
Your traffic is going through different VPN servers with different public IP addresses. One of these is backlisted, the other is not.

martincho8002
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:32 am

Hi again.

I did some tests.

Using the ExpressVPN app (native) if I choose L2TP it works.

But if I set it up on my MikroTik they detect me as being behind proxy/VPN.

There is something different in the setup of MikroTik L2TP client that I am getting wrong.

Anyone?

BR

ooptimum
just joined

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:10 am

You should check the IP address which your VPN provider assignes to your connection, both while you are connected via mikrotik and via VPN's own app. You can check it on WhatIsMyIpAddress site. If these addresses are from different subnets, it's a most probable reason to the given problem, i.e. one of them is blacklisted by the streaming service, while the other isn't.

darkprocess
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:12 am

Mtk vpn client is L2tp also?

martincho8002
just joined
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:01 pm

Mtk vpn client is L2tp also?
Yes. Both ExpressVPN app and MikroTik set to use L2TP. However it might be that the specific settings of the L2TP setup on MikroTik are somewhat different.

sindy
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Sat Mar 31, 2018 10:55 am

When I try to stream the stream provider detects that I am using VPN/proxy and blocks me.
Both ExpressVPN app and MikroTik set to use L2TP. However it might be that the specific settings of the L2TP setup on MikroTik are somewhat different.
How does the blocking look like? Do you get any error message somehow or the stream simply does not get through? Or does it start and in a few moments it is stopped?

As you are sure that the VPN assigns the same outer address to you regardless whether you run the L2TP client on your PC or on Mikrotik, the only explanation which comes to my mind is that it is not the streaming service which blocks you but merely an incorrect handling of frame/packet size.

L2TP/IPsec adds some overhead bytes (quite a lot of them) to the original plaintext packet, and if already the original packet was using the maximum permitted size of an Ethernet frame, it would not fit to another Ethernet frame after encapsulation into the L2TP/IPsec envelope. When the L2TP tunnel interface is up directly at the PC, this is not a problem as the TCP stack knows that already when opening the socket on that interface for transmission, but when the application sends the stream out from a normal Ethernet interface and the limitation of maximum packet size takes place further on the path (in this case, in your Mikrotik), the mechanism of MSS reduction may not work properly due to wrong firewall configuration or due to an issue of the Mikrotik software you use, and the packets won't get through from the LAN to the L2TP tunnel already at the Mikrotik.

What Mikrotik software version do you run?

martincho8002
just joined
Topic Author

Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:54 am

Hi.

This post of you comes somewhat late as I already purchased an ASUS router to support Open VPN with lzo and I am running it in this VPN protocol.

I can assure you one more time that with my old router the L2TP is tunneling the traffic but Netflix detects it. With OpenVPN they cannot.