Community discussions

MikroTik App

stamatis123
just joined
Topic Author

Default config

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:23 pm

I didn't really now where to catalogue this so I'm posting it here.

I've been working with Mikrotik devices for a few years now and I simply love them, BUT!!! I'm working with them on a business level (doing installations with various numbers of devices per project, starting from 10-15 up to few hundreds) and I have an objection in regards to the default configuration. I understand Mikrotik wants to cater for the home users but I have a serious time problem when I have to connect through wifi on 50-60 wap ac's or map lites or hap ac lite to reset them and then upload my configuration on every project because I can't connect through the wan port due to the firewall. So from MTs side they could either have bulk and retail versions (I buy bulk anyway) or is there another way to speed up the process? What are you guys doing with large quantities of MT products that need configuration? (I'm writing this right after having to connect through wifi on 30 map lites!! Uuuurgghhhh!!!!)

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Re: Default config

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:32 pm

doneware
Trainer
Trainer

Re: Default config

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Have you tried flashfig?
how about making "default-configuration" flashfig-able?
this is my biggest painpoint. it doesn't matter what you have in your devices (i agree, flashfig is easier & faster than manually doing the stuff - but as far as i know it is limited to 4k config size), but if someone resets the device with the button, you lose everything.

and in terms of "default-configuration" - hell, there's no reasonable way to get it on the device! only netinstall. while i understand the "security" part of the story [physical access is required], i cannot afford to change stuff manually on site whenever the default config needs/has to be improved. at least a secure way of "importing it" via CLI from the filesystem must be present.

the cherry on the cake is that you don't even know what is inside once you changed it, as "system default-configuration print" gives you only the stock one.