Community discussions

MikroTik App

doneware
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

IPv6 - by default

Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:56 pm

can we have the ipv6 package _enabled_ by default?
even if i netinstall the bundle i have to enable it manually.

to be honest, using link local addresses and ssh i can do a pretty scalable initial installation rig that doesn't require me running windows (to be able to flashfig).
windows is the only thing i hate with mikrotik. we need cross platform netinstall (for winbox i don't really care) cause wine based workarounds are equal terrible.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Re: IPv6 - by default

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:49 pm

I think, IPv6 won't be enabled by default until there are default IPv6 firewall rules to protect the router :)

What's wrong with Wine?

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:57 pm

There are default ipv6 firewall rules, when you enable ipv6, reset configuration then ipv6 rules will be applied.

nescafe2002
Forum Veteran
Forum Veteran

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:19 pm

There are default ipv6 firewall rules, when you enable ipv6, reset configuration then ipv6 rules will be applied.
All the more reason for MikroTik to enable ipv6 package by default ;)

doneware
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Wed Jul 11, 2018 1:57 am

What's wrong with Wine?
well, windows. bloated, insecure, PITA when it comes to remote access, no proper scripting (i know there's powershell) stupid gui apps with no means of automation.

whatever

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:11 pm

If you take a look at Google's IPv6 data, you will realize that IPv6 adoption in Latvia is negligible. Guess that's one of the reasons for its current state in RouterOS.
On the other Hand, there are countries where Dual Stack (or DS-Lite) has become the default for most ISPs. Belguim is already at over 50%; USA, Germany, India and Greece have over 30% IPv6 adoption rate. I think it's time to recognize that IPv6 has become at least equal if not even more important than IPv4 for many users.
=> It should be enabled by default and provided with FastTrack feature.

doneware
Trainer
Trainer
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:19 pm

If you take a look at Google's IPv6 data, you will realize that IPv6 adoption in Latvia is negligible. Guess that's one of the reasons for its current state in RouterOS.
last time i talked to Mikrotik employees, they said that they have almost no presence in the government network of Latvia. i was shocked... if my country had a world-class networking gear manufacturer, i'd rely on them for sure (country's good, boosting local economy, etc) but i don't govern Latvia. but in general, the latvian population is far less in numbers, than the sum of all other countries to whom Mikrotik supplies devices with routeros. I assume the Mikrotik dev team's expertise in IPv6 doesn't come from browsing facebook or watching youtube videos over DS network - as this is the most common traffic over IPv6 :-)
so i just would not judge by the this value.

i'd rather say, the overall adoption of IPv6, especially with smaller WISPs is struggling. IPv6 is drastically different from IPv4 in some aspects, and bunch of networking folks are just unsure/afraid. so their move is to go along with the stuff they think they know more: IPv4 and NAT. Mikrotik is a company that tries to fulfil the demand of its customers. If your compare the number of the folks around here, who have some sort of clue about IPv6, versus the others who don't know it, you'll see why this ain't the biggest focus.

but let me tell you something. i've been looking for wireless gear what can reliably deliver ~500-600Mbps on short distances with 5GHz & 2x2 mimo. none of the commonly used suppliers have anything that is just manageable via IPv6. i've tried mimosa, ubiquity, but no success. Believe me, Mikrotik is far ahead of those folks in terms of IPv6.

but you should check out the MUM presentations in the last couple of years. when it comes to IPv6, most (if not every) speaker is focusing on basics. whereas you can find no MUM session that is trying to explain how IPv4 works and what type of addresses you can use there. simply most of the community is just not ready for deploying IPv6.

and i don't bash the Mikrotik community, as there is a far bigger group of people to whom IPv6 is like cross and garlic to vampires: most enterprise IT folks
=> It should be enabled by default and provided with FastTrack feature.
this one above is especially important.

mducharme
Trainer
Trainer

Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:50 am

I asked MikroTik about this last summer at MUM. They said it was coming, that they were just waiting for more people to have the new versions of firmware since IPv6 firewall was released. Once they are satisfied that enough people have the newer firmware versions with IPv6 firewall included, then they will begin to enable IPv6 by default. I hope that will be soon.