Community discussions

gmsmstr
Trainer
Trainer

Re: v6 RC and v7 BETA

Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:06 pm

We all sit and wait :) hoping :)
Dennis Burgess, MCTCE, MTCNA, MCTCTE, MTCWE, MTCNIE, A+, N+, MCP, MTCSE Mikrotik Certified Consultant / Trainer
Need Mikrotik Support: http://www.linktechs.net -- Link Technologies, Inc.
-- Author of "Learn RouterOS: Second Edition"

honzam
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:24 am

We all sit and wait :) hoping :)
And?
LAN, FTTx, Wireless. ISP operator

zlobster

Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:58 am

OK, please forgive my ignorance, but what are the main advantages for v7 over v6 that are expected to reach the final builds?

That's a serious question, not a troll attempt.

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:43 am

To my knowledge, mostly people crave for better support of multithreaded routing (which was promised long time ago) and drivers (notice references to v7)
But generally, people are hyped more than players of Diablo before release of new version. Many of them expect every trouble will be magically fixed.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:29 am

But generally, people are hyped more than players of Diablo before release of new version. Many of them expect every trouble will be magically fixed.
That got me laughing like a mad man. Thanks, I needed it! :D

krisjanisj
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:16 am

...But generally, people are hyped more than players of Diablo before release of new version...
Unlike Blizzard we tend to keep our RouterOS working on same platforms as ROSv6 does (and release mobile app for ease of configuration not migrate the whole darn thing to a cheap mobile game ripoff since "Who doesn't have phones nowadays...").

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:28 pm

Well, I was actually referring to time before Diablo 2 .. I guess its too old for people to remember today...

krisjanisj
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:35 pm

Well, I was actually referring to time before Diablo 2 .. I guess its too old for people to remember today...
True, but isn't it way more funnier if the joke is relevant?

vecernik87
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:59 pm

I must admit that you pointed out much more relevant interpretation. I am just afraid, if it ends up that way (e.g. dropping support to mipsbe/tile etc...) Therefore I am not sure if its funnier or scarier.

oreggin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:11 pm

Nah, please public a roadmap with public informations in a correct way. Under correct I mean correct for MTik and correct for customers too.
If I working on something my boss insist plans :) Please tell us MTik plans about RouterOS development.

Chupaka
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:43 pm

MikroTik's plan is to release RouterOS v7 :)

"Probably this year" ™
Russian-speaking forum: https://forum.mikrotik.by/. Welcome!

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

MikroTik. Your life. Your routing.

cusco

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:48 pm

oreggin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:56 pm

MikroTik's plan is to release RouterOS v7 :)

"Probably this year" ™
Are you sure?! :lol:

anthonws
just joined

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:01 pm

Community driven features and minimal public roadmap is not something Mikrotik knows how to handle properly.

Since I recognize that roadmap/feature plans are difficult for the majority to "read" properly (i.e. understand that they might be (de)prioritized), at least the community driven feature requests comms could/should be improved...

Just look into how other companies are doing it:

https://community.ubnt.com/t5/UniFi-Fea ... ost-kudoed
https://feedback.azure.com/forums/16940 ... -directory
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/glo ... voice.html

I've seen numerous FR (highly voted) being made for over 5+ years with almost no follow-up or no reply at all.

As for roadmaps, there's still safe ways to share with limited impact. Example: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/microso ... p?filters=

Hth,
anthonws.

Paternot
Long time Member
Long time Member

Tue Apr 09, 2019 5:13 pm

I think the hype for Diablo3 was grater than Diablo2. Don't get me wrong: I have all 3 (should have learned with D2, and never bought D3, but I digress), and hated what they did with D2.

I miss my Tank Mage, in D1. I could get hand in hand with Diablo itself - on hell difficulty - and win. No, I didn't use cheats. A lot of potions, though. :D

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:14 pm

@anthonws: MikroTik already has that... kind of. Description of this forum is "BETA Testing and Feature Suggestions for the next RouterOS release (ROS v7)", so you're welcome to post your ideas and people do so. Others comment on it to show their interest. Only the actual voting is missing. Oh and also MikroTik's interest, it seems. If there was voting, by now we'd have OpenVPN (*) on top with 10k votes and it would be sitting and waiting as it is now. So that's pointless.

(*) Actually, OpenVPN it not that important by itself. It's not THE killer feature and after such long time, anyone who needed it probably already found different ways how to satisfy their needs. It's more like a symbol now, even though it would still be nice to have.

Personally I'm a little bit skeptical about these "user voice" things. You have product used by millions and then decide what to implement based on hundereds or low thousands of votes. And you don't even know how many are from people who just came by and won't care a month after. Even from user perspective, nobody is going to browse through thousands of ideas to find good ones. You'll post yours, give few additional votes to some popular requests at the top that you also like and it will be most likely it. So how much these things can be trusted, that's a question.

bd0g
just joined

Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:50 pm

I really hope they use v4 kernel, but MIkrotik is still selling devices with 16MB of flash (WHYYYYYYY you do this?!!!!)... so it's not looking good.
The kernel version doesn't define its size... the recent kernels are big when precompiled becasue they do have more and more hardware and features integrated ; for such high perf/low latency application you go with custom build conf with only dependencies you need. There's no use having video, dvb, audio, tape drive, etc.

anthonws
just joined

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:40 am

@anthonws: MikroTik already has that... kind of. Description of this forum is "BETA Testing and Feature Suggestions for the next RouterOS release (ROS v7)", so you're welcome to post your ideas and people do so. Others comment on it to show their interest. Only the actual voting is missing. Oh and also MikroTik's interest, it seems. If there was voting, by now we'd have OpenVPN (*) on top with 10k votes and it would be sitting and waiting as it is now. So that's pointless.

(*) Actually, OpenVPN it not that important by itself. It's not THE killer feature and after such long time, anyone who needed it probably already found different ways how to satisfy their needs. It's more like a symbol now, even though it would still be nice to have.

Personally I'm a little bit skeptical about these "user voice" things. You have product used by millions and then decide what to implement based on hundereds or low thousands of votes. And you don't even know how many are from people who just came by and won't care a month after. Even from user perspective, nobody is going to browse through thousands of ideas to find good ones. You'll post yours, give few additional votes to some popular requests at the top that you also like and it will be most likely it. So how much these things can be trusted, that's a question.
What's available today is not close to any proper customer engagement. Like you stated, I can go there, ask for a feature, and have millions of people go "+1" without changing anything. Not even a mere reflection of a decision from Mikrotik. Even if it's "Will not be implemented".

I work in a company where everything related to User engagement is vital for the development of our products. We actively scout and research what and where to invest next based on multiple indicators, including platforms like UserVoice! It's thanks to them that our customers (the broader market) feels closer to the decisions being made and also that they are heard. Without the need to be a S400 and have strategic (direct) relation ships with our product teams.

If OpenVPN will never be implemented, then someone should officially state it and make sure that information sits in a place where's visible and related to the FR.

My 2 cents,
anthonws.

Sob
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:30 am

They probably have other methods, feedback from distributors, people contacting support, MUM participants, ... so they probably know well what customers want. Being more open about their plans, and generally making customers feel closer to developement and heard, that's surely something they could improve.

anthonws
just joined

Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:03 pm

They probably have other methods, feedback from distributors, people contacting support, MUM participants, ... so they probably know well what customers want. Being more open about their plans, and generally making customers feel closer to developement and heard, that's surely something they could improve.
Not neglecting those methods of customer feedback and closer engagement.
But like you just mentioned, I also agree that Mikrotik could be a bit more transparent and/or engaged with the community on the future of the OS.
The more I think about it, the more I agree that ROS should support a plugin framework or alike.

StNick
just joined

Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:50 pm

OK, please forgive my ignorance, but what are the main advantages for v7 over v6 that are expected to reach the final builds?

That's a serious question, not a troll attempt.
Personally, I'm hoping for proper IKEv2/IPSEC or OpenVPN support so that I can connect to NordVPN.

mrz
MikroTik Support
MikroTik Support

Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:50 am

Please clarify what is "proper IKEv2/IPSEC"?

eworm

Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Please clarify what is "proper IKEv2/IPSEC"?
Probably asking for EAP authentication as initiator, which is not possible for IKEv2 atm.
Manage RouterOS scripts and extend your devices' functionality: RouterOS Scripts

aoakeley

Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:19 am

Any news about date of release Ros v7?
Maybe Christmas gift
Christmas in July?

mkx
Forum Guru
Forum Guru

Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:57 am

Any news about date of release Ros v7?
Maybe Christmas gift
Christmas in July?
Two things:
  1. Who said there will be news in July?
    1. July is synonym for summer for many people.
    2. for quite a few people, Christmas happens in the middle of summer (southern hemisphere)
  2. I wouldn't mind some positive news about ROS v7, no matter what date
BR,
Metod

mfr476
Member Candidate
Member Candidate

Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:20 am

We have a Big MUM today. I Hope news

oreggin
Frequent Visitor
Frequent Visitor

Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:47 am

I configured IPSec on one of my RoS devs, and that said don't configure base mode because it will removed in RoSv7 so something is cooking in the owen and i hope it wont burned up :)